Re: [pcgen] Customer Feats not saving

  • Jon Leeke
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 29, 2011
      Well I tried to remove "Read Only" from the pcgen folders but it didn't
      take.

      I am correct in assuming then that this is not a known bug of this
      version? :)

      Thanks,

      Jon

      On 9/29/2011 6:33 PM, Andrew wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Is it installed in the default location or is it installed in it's own
      > location on the hard drive?
      > The lack of saving sounds like you're installed in the default folder
      > c:\program files which
      > doesn't allow writing to files in there.
      >
      > On 9/29/2011 2:24 PM, jon.leeke wrote:
      > > This is driving me nuts and I'd love some help. I'm using the 5.17.8
      > version and whenever I create a customer Feat it seems to appear
      > normally. Once I exit PcGen and run the program a second time, all the
      > feats I made have disappeared! Is this a known bug, or is there
      > something I'm not doing correctly?
      > >
      > > Thanks very much all!
      > >

      > > ------------------------------------
      > >
      > > Related Lists
      > > PCGen's Online Docs:
      > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
      > >
      > > PCGen List File Help:
      > >
      > > PCGen Experimental:
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > > --
      > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      > > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

    • Jon Leeke
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 29, 2011
        I also excluded both folders from my antivirus and pcgen is still not
        saving custom feats after the program is closed and reopened.

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 29, 2011
          Hi,

          Install the program is say c:\pcgen and see if the results change. And yeah, this is a known issue
          in Windows Vista/7 machines. We've been working on changing the default install location to avoid
          this in the future.

          Cheers,

          On 9/29/2011 5:07 PM, Jon Leeke wrote:
          > I also excluded both folders from my antivirus and pcgen is still not
          > saving custom feats after the program is closed and reopened.
          >
          > On 9/29/2011 6:33 PM, Andrew wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> Is it installed in the default location or is it installed in it's own
          >> location on the hard drive?
          >> The lack of saving sounds like you're installed in the default folder
          >> c:\program files which
          >> doesn't allow writing to files in there.
          >>
          >> On 9/29/2011 2:24 PM, jon.leeke wrote:
          >>> This is driving me nuts and I'd love some help. I'm using the 5.17.8
          >> version and whenever I create a customer Feat it seems to appear
          >> normally. Once I exit PcGen and run the program a second time, all the
          >> feats I made have disappeared! Is this a known bug, or is there
          >> something I'm not doing correctly?
          >>> Thanks very much all!
          >>>

          >>> ------------------------------------
          >>>
          >>> Related Lists
          >>> PCGen's Online Docs:
          >> http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
          >>> PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
          >>> PCGen List File Help:
          >>>
          >>> PCGen Experimental:
          >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
          >>>

          >>> --
          >>> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          >>> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
          > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

        • Jon Leeke
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
            Thanks for the help. I installed it in Program Files(X86)/PCGen and it
            still is not saving custom Feats. Is there a way to change the custom
            .lst file location (I did not see it in Preferences but may have missed
            it)?

            Jon

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
              I tried installing it to C:/PcGen, bypassing the program file folder
              altogether, and feats are still not saving. Thanks for the advice, any
              other thoughts? Should I try an entirely different drive?

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
                Okay, wow, changing it didn't help, that is a first.

                Can you open the preferences and see where the "custom" items are being saved, just make sure it's
                still not pointing to one of those protected folders.

                Beyond that simple check, I'm going to pass you to a coder to analyze the code see if there is
                something else going on that needs a tweak.

                James, if you have a spare moment can you take a moment and see what is going on with Jon?
                Jon is using v5.17.8, Win 7 machine. I've had him try installing to another folder and that hasn't
                fixed anything. I've asked him to double check the preferences to see if it's trying to access the
                protected folder, beyond that I'm out of ideas.

                Jon - As an alternative to using the customizer to make your feats, you can always code up your own
                Lst files (i.e. data set) and that would save you the headache of losing them. If you want
                assistance in learning how to do that then I'd be happy to assist you.

                Cheers,

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
                  So, here's what I've done:

                  1) Installed PcGen 5.17.8 to C:/PcGen
                  2) Moved all the .pcgen files from the C:/Users directory to C:/PcGen
                  (characters, customsources, vendordata, filter.ini, options.ini)
                  3) Changed the "Location" under preferences to aim at the C:/PcGen
                  folder files, including options.ini. At this time, no locations are
                  aimed at the C:/Users directory.
                  4) Loaded Pathfinder. Created a test feat with .lst editor and noted
                  that it appears in the editor afterwards.
                  5) Closed PcGen.
                  6) Sacrified 2 goblins (scrawny ones) to Lamashtu.
                  7) Opened PcGen and checked .lst editor. Test feat no longer appears.

                  What could this be? Did I not sacrifice enough goblins, or perhaps they
                  were too scrawny?

                  I do note that the copied files from C:/users are still "read-only" and
                  refuse to be reclassified. I will try creating brand new directories
                  that are not read-only and get back to you. In the meantime, any more
                  ideas are appreciated.

                  Thanks for all your help. This is a great community of peeps!

                  Jon

                • James Dempsey
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
                    Hi,

                    I can make two suggestions.

                    Try starting pcgen by using the run as administrator option. If it is a
                    permission issue that should solve it.

                    If not, open the console (menu is Debug > Console) before you create the
                    test feat and see if you get any output there.

                    Cheers,
                    James.

                    On 1/10/2011 9:32 AM Jon Leeke wrote

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
                      Andrew and James and all,

                      I first ran as Administrator on my desktop with no positive effect.
                      There was also no errors during the feat creation.

                      Then I did the following to be sure it wasn't my sources, drivers,
                      hardware, or software configuration:

                      1) Installed 5.17.8 to a Windows 7 64-bit laptop using the previously
                      established method of changing install folder and pointing all locations
                      in preferences away from the "User" folder. Installation done as
                      Administrator.
                      2) Ran as Administrator, installing only the basic Pathfinder sets Core
                      Rulebook, Bestiary, and Advanced PG that came with the pcgen program.
                      3) Duplicated error watching on the debug console, nothing on the console.

                      Here is the console data after running the program and loading the datasets:

                      - listing properties --
                      java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
                      sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin
                      java.vm.version=20.1-b02
                      java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                      java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
                      path.separator=;
                      java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
                      file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
                      java.util.logging.config.file=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\logging.properties
                      user.country=US
                      sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
                      sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 1
                      java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
                      user.dir=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178
                      java.runtime.version=1.6.0_26-b03
                      java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
                      java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
                      os.arch=x86
                      java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\CTHULH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\
                      line.separator=

                      java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                      user.variant=
                      os.name=Windows 7
                      sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
                      java.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;...
                      java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
                      java.class.version=50.0
                      sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
                      os.version=6.1
                      user.home=C:\Users\Cthulhuspawn
                      user.timezone=America/New_York
                      java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
                      file.encoding=Cp1252
                      java.specification.version=1.6
                      user.name=Cthulhuspawn
                      java.class.path=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
                      java.vm.specification.version=1.0
                      sun.arch.data.model=32
                      java.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6
                      sun.java.command=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
                      java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                      user.language=en
                      awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
                      java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
                      java.version=1.6.0_26
                      java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
                      sun.boot.class.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
                      java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                      file.separator=\
                      java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
                      sun.cpu.endian=little
                      sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
                      sun.desktop=windows
                      sun.cpu.isalist=pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+m...
                      Memory: 189,748Kb total, 94,376.648Kb free, 506,816Kb max.

                      In case it matters that is the same readout I get on every boot, but
                      perhaps you'll see something in there.

                      It seems that I am slightly up the creek. I will run more testing on
                      other computers; let me know if you have more ideas, and again; thanks!

                      Jon

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
                        Hi folks,

                        I have now installed the program on 2 other Windows 7 64 bit machines
                        using the C:/PcGen directories. Each has a different antivirus and
                        program/driver set. The error occurs on all 4 machines; feats just
                        don't save (equipment and spells do with no problem). If there's any
                        other data I can provide to help the monkeys please let me know. And,
                        of course, any suggestions are welcome.

                        I guess I need to learn how to make my own datasets to add a few custom
                        feats from time to time (it's really just 3 or 4). Maybe this is a good
                        thing; if I learn to code I can help the community! Can you point me to
                        the easiest literature to learn how to do this, and offer any advice?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
                          Jon,

                          The Docs that come with the program has beginning information and classes.

                          The wiki houses some useful information wiki.pcgen.org, I held a little tutorial that got posted on
                          there.

                          When it comes to actual coding, a text editor, patience and a willingness to learn is pretty much
                          all you need. In the footer of this post is a link to the Yahoo Group for LST Editing (PCGen List
                          File Help). Over there we have monkeys that answer LST coding specific questions.

                          Cheers,

                          Andrew Maitland

                        • Martijn Verburg
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
                            I think James or one of the coders will have to screen share with you to see
                            what the problem is. - K