Re: [pcgen] Customer Feats not saving

  • Jon Leeke
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 29, 2011
      Sorry, obviously I meant the "Custom" Feats are not saving. I have no
      PCGen customers....

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 29, 2011

        Is it installed in the default location or is it installed in it's own location on the hard drive?
        The lack of saving sounds like you're installed in the default folder c:\program files which
        doesn't allow writing to files in there.

        On 9/29/2011 2:24 PM, jon.leeke wrote:
        > This is driving me nuts and I'd love some help. I'm using the 5.17.8 version and whenever I create a customer Feat it seems to appear normally. Once I exit PcGen and run the program a second time, all the feats I made have disappeared! Is this a known bug, or is there something I'm not doing correctly?
        >
        > Thanks very much all!

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
        > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

      • Jon Leeke
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 29, 2011
          Hmm, well I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, and the customerAblities.lst file
          is in User Profile/.pcgen/customsources/Pathfinder_RPG/customAbilities.lst

          The program files are in C:\Users\User
          Profile\AppData\Local\PCGen\PCGen5178\pcgen.exe

          I did suddenly notice that both locations are "Read Only" for some
          reason. I'm going to try changing that and see if there's any effect.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 29, 2011
            Well I tried to remove "Read Only" from the pcgen folders but it didn't
            take.

            I am correct in assuming then that this is not a known bug of this
            version? :)

            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 29, 2011
              I also excluded both folders from my antivirus and pcgen is still not
              saving custom feats after the program is closed and reopened.

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 29, 2011

                Install the program is say c:\pcgen and see if the results change. And yeah, this is a known issue
                in Windows Vista/7 machines. We've been working on changing the default install location to avoid
                this in the future.

                Cheers,

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
                  Thanks for the help. I installed it in Program Files(X86)/PCGen and it
                  still is not saving custom Feats. Is there a way to change the custom
                  .lst file location (I did not see it in Preferences but may have missed
                  it)?

                  Jon

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
                    I tried installing it to C:/PcGen, bypassing the program file folder
                    altogether, and feats are still not saving. Thanks for the advice, any
                    other thoughts? Should I try an entirely different drive?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
                      Okay, wow, changing it didn't help, that is a first.

                      Can you open the preferences and see where the "custom" items are being saved, just make sure it's
                      still not pointing to one of those protected folders.

                      Beyond that simple check, I'm going to pass you to a coder to analyze the code see if there is
                      something else going on that needs a tweak.

                      James, if you have a spare moment can you take a moment and see what is going on with Jon?
                      Jon is using v5.17.8, Win 7 machine. I've had him try installing to another folder and that hasn't
                      fixed anything. I've asked him to double check the preferences to see if it's trying to access the
                      protected folder, beyond that I'm out of ideas.

                      Jon - As an alternative to using the customizer to make your feats, you can always code up your own
                      Lst files (i.e. data set) and that would save you the headache of losing them. If you want
                      assistance in learning how to do that then I'd be happy to assist you.

                      Cheers,

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
                        So, here's what I've done:

                        1) Installed PcGen 5.17.8 to C:/PcGen
                        2) Moved all the .pcgen files from the C:/Users directory to C:/PcGen
                        (characters, customsources, vendordata, filter.ini, options.ini)
                        3) Changed the "Location" under preferences to aim at the C:/PcGen
                        folder files, including options.ini. At this time, no locations are
                        aimed at the C:/Users directory.
                        4) Loaded Pathfinder. Created a test feat with .lst editor and noted
                        that it appears in the editor afterwards.
                        5) Closed PcGen.
                        6) Sacrified 2 goblins (scrawny ones) to Lamashtu.
                        7) Opened PcGen and checked .lst editor. Test feat no longer appears.

                        What could this be? Did I not sacrifice enough goblins, or perhaps they
                        were too scrawny?

                        I do note that the copied files from C:/users are still "read-only" and
                        refuse to be reclassified. I will try creating brand new directories
                        that are not read-only and get back to you. In the meantime, any more
                        ideas are appreciated.

                        Thanks for all your help. This is a great community of peeps!

                        Jon

                      • James Dempsey
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011

                          I can make two suggestions.

                          Try starting pcgen by using the run as administrator option. If it is a
                          permission issue that should solve it.

                          If not, open the console (menu is Debug > Console) before you create the
                          test feat and see if you get any output there.

                          Cheers,
                          James.

                          On 1/10/2011 9:32 AM Jon Leeke wrote

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
                            Andrew and James and all,

                            I first ran as Administrator on my desktop with no positive effect.
                            There was also no errors during the feat creation.

                            Then I did the following to be sure it wasn't my sources, drivers,
                            hardware, or software configuration:

                            1) Installed 5.17.8 to a Windows 7 64-bit laptop using the previously
                            established method of changing install folder and pointing all locations
                            in preferences away from the "User" folder. Installation done as
                            Administrator.
                            2) Ran as Administrator, installing only the basic Pathfinder sets Core
                            Rulebook, Bestiary, and Advanced PG that came with the pcgen program.
                            3) Duplicated error watching on the debug console, nothing on the console.

                            Here is the console data after running the program and loading the datasets:

                            - listing properties --
                            java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
                            sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin
                            java.vm.version=20.1-b02
                            java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                            java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
                            path.separator=;
                            java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
                            file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
                            java.util.logging.config.file=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\logging.properties
                            user.country=US
                            sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
                            sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 1
                            java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
                            user.dir=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178
                            java.runtime.version=1.6.0_26-b03
                            java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
                            java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
                            os.arch=x86
                            java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\CTHULH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\
                            line.separator=

                            java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                            user.variant=
                            os.name=Windows 7
                            sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
                            java.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;...
                            java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
                            java.class.version=50.0
                            sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
                            os.version=6.1
                            user.home=C:\Users\Cthulhuspawn
                            user.timezone=America/New_York
                            java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
                            file.encoding=Cp1252
                            java.specification.version=1.6
                            user.name=Cthulhuspawn
                            java.class.path=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
                            java.vm.specification.version=1.0
                            sun.arch.data.model=32
                            java.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6
                            sun.java.command=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
                            java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                            user.language=en
                            awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
                            java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
                            java.version=1.6.0_26
                            java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
                            sun.boot.class.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
                            java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                            file.separator=\
                            java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
                            sun.cpu.endian=little
                            sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
                            sun.desktop=windows
                            sun.cpu.isalist=pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+m...
                            Memory: 189,748Kb total, 94,376.648Kb free, 506,816Kb max.

                            In case it matters that is the same readout I get on every boot, but
                            perhaps you'll see something in there.

                            It seems that I am slightly up the creek. I will run more testing on
                            other computers; let me know if you have more ideas, and again; thanks!

                            Jon

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
                              Hi folks,

                              I have now installed the program on 2 other Windows 7 64 bit machines
                              using the C:/PcGen directories. Each has a different antivirus and
                              program/driver set. The error occurs on all 4 machines; feats just
                              don't save (equipment and spells do with no problem). If there's any
                              other data I can provide to help the monkeys please let me know. And,
                              of course, any suggestions are welcome.

                              I guess I need to learn how to make my own datasets to add a few custom
                              feats from time to time (it's really just 3 or 4). Maybe this is a good
                              thing; if I learn to code I can help the community! Can you point me to
                              the easiest literature to learn how to do this, and offer any advice?

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
                                Jon,

                                The Docs that come with the program has beginning information and classes.

                                The wiki houses some useful information wiki.pcgen.org, I held a little tutorial that got posted on
                                there.

                                When it comes to actual coding, a text editor, patience and a willingness to learn is pretty much
                                all you need. In the footer of this post is a link to the Yahoo Group for LST Editing (PCGen List
                                File Help). Over there we have monkeys that answer LST coding specific questions.

                                Cheers,

                                Andrew Maitland

                              • Martijn Verburg
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
                                  I think James or one of the coders will have to screen share with you to see
                                  what the problem is. - K