Some questions and some feedback on batch-convert

  • rogerwllco
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2011
      Greetings simians,

      As the CMP forum seems to have gone the way of the dodo permanently this time (alas probably bad news for the Mynex and his troupe - I had hoped things would work out for them), I now have joined this group. Does anyone know what happened?

      As I'm still heavily invested in CMP's old products, I'm now trying to convert to 5.16.4. With that respect I have some feedback on the 5.14 to 5.16 batch converter:
      - My main problem with it, is that if you feed it multiple sources, it tends to hang somewhere in the convert process. Maybe it runs out of memory, who knows?
      - So I convert each of my sources one-by-one. My feedback here is that it would be very nice it if could remember the settings from last time I ran it. Given that I have some 60 datasets to convert, it would save a lot of time, especially because it doesn't show the OSX Places in the file browser.
      - It would be nice if for deprecated words it would just replace them with the newer version instead of just complaining. PREWEAPONPROF -> PREPROFWITHWEAPON and the like.
      - It doesn't convert the gameMode itself, even though it gives a SEVERE error. (I think (TL-20)2MAX0 needs to be MAX((TL-20)/2,0), right?)
      - Still, it's an improvement over needing Perl.

      There are references to a LST group here and there on the Wiki and in some posts in this Yahoo group. Does that still exist, and if so, what is it for and how to find it?

      Cheers,

      RogerWilco
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2011

        Answers in line...

        On 9/5/2011 6:35 AM, rogerwllco wrote:
        > Greetings simians,
        >
        > As the CMP forum seems to have gone the way of the dodo permanently this time (alas probably bad news for the Mynex and his troupe - I had hoped things would work out for them), I now have joined this group. Does anyone know what happened?

        I'm not aware of what is going on with CMP, perhaps another monkey can chime in on their current status.

        > As I'm still heavily invested in CMP's old products, I'm now trying to convert to 5.16.4. With that respect I have some feedback on the 5.14 to 5.16 batch converter:
        > - My main problem with it, is that if you feed it multiple sources, it tends to hang somewhere in the convert process. Maybe it runs out of memory, who knows?

        Sounds like a memory issue - a Coder would be better to answer that though.

        > - So I convert each of my sources one-by-one. My feedback here is that it would be very nice it if could remember the settings from last time I ran it. Given that I have some 60 datasets to convert, it would save a lot of time, especially because it doesn't show the OSX Places in the file browser.

        Starting to enter Feature Request land - jira.pcgen.org is best to log these for future enhancement.

        > - It would be nice if for deprecated words it would just replace them with the newer version instead of just complaining. PREWEAPONPROF -> PREPROFWITHWEAPON and the like.

        Ah, the syntax actually changed therefore, instead of changing it automatically, that is telling you
        that you need to fix it by hand. Otherwise, you'll load the source and get a bunch of errors. That
        is one of the issues with a few changes - we left ambiguity behind and make it work as intended, but
        the way to do it still requires manual intervention to bring those tags into line.

        > - It doesn't convert the gameMode itself, even though it gives a SEVERE error. (I think (TL-20)2MAX0 needs to be MAX((TL-20)/2,0), right?)

        Eyeballing that, I think you're correct. The batch converter doesn't mess with gamemode, though I
        could be wrong.

        > - Still, it's an improvement over needing Perl.

        Agreed, it's much simpler, though you need prettylst to bring pre-5.12 sets up to date before you do
        the conversion.

        > There are references to a LST group here and there on the Wiki and in some posts in this Yahoo group. Does that still exist, and if so, what is it for and how to find it?

        You mean the link in the message footer and explanation underneath?