Re: [pcgen] New to PCGen

  • Jon Leeke
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
      When loading sources after the first time, pick "Use Advanced Screen."
      It will give you the option to pick and choose from installed datasets.
      Sometimes datasets are incompatible with each other and you have to
      check the source info screen to determine what works with what (but you
      probably won't encounter that until you have lots of datasets).

      Jon

      On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

      > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
      > I'll try
      > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
      > missing.
      >
      > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
      > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
      >
      > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
      >
      > 3) Click select, find the
      > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
      > and open
      >
      > 4) Click data and install
      >
      > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
      > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
      > I'm back
      > at PCGen
      >
      > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
      > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
      > (WIP)
      > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
      >
      > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
      > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
      > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
      >
      > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
        Hi Folks!

        The way the Playtest set is set up it requires the Core Rules and the APG, but does not recognize either the PF got GMs or the PF for PLayers loads as compatible so you will have to use the Advanced Source Load screen to configure the set.

        Maredudd

      • Otter
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
          Alright, I got it working. Thanks everyone!

          Randy

          On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

          > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
          > I'll try
          > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
          > missing.
          >
          > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
          > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
          >
          > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
          >
          > 3) Click select, find the
          > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
          > and open
          >
          > 4) Click data and install
          >
          > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
          > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
          > I'm back
          > at PCGen
          >
          > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
          > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
          > (WIP)
          > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
          >
          > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
          > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
          > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
          >
          > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
          > [mailto:pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
          > > walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?
          >
          > Yep! There most certainly is. Take a look at the OOC Data Set Installation
          > instructions under the Tools Menu in the Docs.
          >
          > Maredudd

        • Otter
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 3, 2011
            How do you add things like making a weapon +1 thru +5, making it cold iron,
            silver, adamantite, etc?

            From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>

            On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

            > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
            > I'll try
            > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
            > missing.
            >
            > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
            > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
            >
            > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
            >
            > 3) Click select, find the
            > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
            > and open
            >
            > 4) Click data and install
            >
            > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
            > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
            > I'm back
            > at PCGen
            >
            > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
            > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
            > (WIP)
            > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
            >
            > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
            > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
            > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
            >
            > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
            > [mailto:pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
            > > walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?
            >
            > Yep! There most certainly is. Take a look at the OOC Data Set Installation
            > instructions under the Tools Menu in the Docs.
            >
            > Maredudd

          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 3, 2011
              Hi ,

              On 4/09/2011 8:12 AM Otter wrote
              > How do you add things like making a weapon +1 thru +5, making it cold iron,
              > silver, adamantite, etc?
              You need to create a custom item for those. In the gear tab, right click
              on a base item (e.g. scale mail) select "Create Custom Item" and a
              dialog will appear allowing you to add enhancements, change the base
              material, override the default name, weight, cost etc.

              Cheers,
              James.
            • seanmcgreevey
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2016

                I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I'm trying to add an Archetype from the Inner Sea Magic Campaign Setting. In the Sources under Paizo Publishing, I see Inner See Primer and Inner Sea World Guide only. Am I missing something? If not, is there a way to request adding this Campaign source?

                Or, I want to add the Tattooed Sorcerer to my character. Perhaps there's another way to accomplish this?

                Sean

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2016
                  Hi,

                  Inner Sea Magic already exists in pcgen version 6.06.00.

                  Grab the download here:

                  Sourceforge:

                  https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable/6.06.00/

                  Github: