Re: [pcgen] New to PCGen

  • Jon Leeke
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011
      I used the Magus Playtest dataset and it works fine, except that the
      spell list doesn't completely match what is in Ultimate Magic and some
      spells are missing. Just be aware of that when you make your character.

      On 8/31/2011 3:47 PM, Eric C Smith wrote:
      > If the Magus os what you are interested in you might check out the OOC file for the Magus Playtest. You can find it here:
      >
      > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz/download
      >
      > I'm not sure what the differences are between it and the final Magus but this file represents the last Playtest Update that Paizo did for the Magus prior to the release of Ultimate Magic.
      >
      > Maredudd
      >
      > On Aug 31, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Otter wrote:
      >
      >> Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I'll just make my magus the old
      >> fashioned way. :)

    • Otter
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011
        Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
        walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?

        http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
        > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
        >
        > PCGen List File Help:

      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011
          Hi Folks!

          Otter wrote:

          > Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
          > walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?

          Yep! There most certainly is. Take a look at the OOC Data Set Installation instructions under the Tools Menu in the Docs.

          Maredudd
        • Otter
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
            Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong. I'll try
            to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
            missing.

            1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
            (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)

            2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data

            3) Click select, find the
            5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
            and open

            4) Click data and install

            5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
            Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and I'm back
            at PCGen

            6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
            Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players (WIP)
            ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.

            Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
            and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
            Playtesting. So what am I missing?

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
              When loading sources after the first time, pick "Use Advanced Screen."
              It will give you the option to pick and choose from installed datasets.
              Sometimes datasets are incompatible with each other and you have to
              check the source info screen to determine what works with what (but you
              probably won't encounter that until you have lots of datasets).

              Jon

              On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

              > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
              > I'll try
              > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
              > missing.
              >
              > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
              > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
              >
              > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
              >
              > 3) Click select, find the
              > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
              > and open
              >
              > 4) Click data and install
              >
              > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
              > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
              > I'm back
              > at PCGen
              >
              > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
              > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
              > (WIP)
              > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
              >
              > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
              > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
              > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
              >
              > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>

            • Eric C Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
                Hi Folks!

                The way the Playtest set is set up it requires the Core Rules and the APG, but does not recognize either the PF got GMs or the PF for PLayers loads as compatible so you will have to use the Advanced Source Load screen to configure the set.

                Maredudd

              • Otter
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
                  Alright, I got it working. Thanks everyone!

                  Randy

                  On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

                  > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
                  > I'll try
                  > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
                  > missing.
                  >
                  > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
                  > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
                  >
                  > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
                  >
                  > 3) Click select, find the
                  > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
                  > and open
                  >
                  > 4) Click data and install
                  >
                  > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
                  > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
                  > I'm back
                  > at PCGen
                  >
                  > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
                  > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
                  > (WIP)
                  > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
                  >
                  > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
                  > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
                  > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
                  >
                  > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > [mailto:pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
                  > > walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?
                  >
                  > Yep! There most certainly is. Take a look at the OOC Data Set Installation
                  > instructions under the Tools Menu in the Docs.
                  >
                  > Maredudd

                • Otter
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 3, 2011
                    How do you add things like making a weapon +1 thru +5, making it cold iron,
                    silver, adamantite, etc?

                    From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>

                    On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

                    > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
                    > I'll try
                    > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
                    > missing.
                    >
                    > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
                    > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
                    >
                    > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
                    >
                    > 3) Click select, find the
                    > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
                    > and open
                    >
                    > 4) Click data and install
                    >
                    > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
                    > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
                    > I'm back
                    > at PCGen
                    >
                    > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
                    > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
                    > (WIP)
                    > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
                    >
                    > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
                    > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
                    > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
                    >
                    > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                    <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                    <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > [mailto:pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                    <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
                    > > walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?
                    >
                    > Yep! There most certainly is. Take a look at the OOC Data Set Installation
                    > instructions under the Tools Menu in the Docs.
                    >
                    > Maredudd

                  • James Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 3, 2011
                      Hi ,

                      On 4/09/2011 8:12 AM Otter wrote
                      > How do you add things like making a weapon +1 thru +5, making it cold iron,
                      > silver, adamantite, etc?
                      You need to create a custom item for those. In the gear tab, right click
                      on a base item (e.g. scale mail) select "Create Custom Item" and a
                      dialog will appear allowing you to add enhancements, change the base
                      material, override the default name, weight, cost etc.

                      Cheers,
                      James.
                    • seanmcgreevey
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 2, 2016

                        I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I'm trying to add an Archetype from the Inner Sea Magic Campaign Setting. In the Sources under Paizo Publishing, I see Inner See Primer and Inner Sea World Guide only. Am I missing something? If not, is there a way to request adding this Campaign source?

                        Or, I want to add the Tattooed Sorcerer to my character. Perhaps there's another way to accomplish this?

                        Sean

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 3, 2016
                          Hi,

                          Inner Sea Magic already exists in pcgen version 6.06.00.

                          Grab the download here:

                          Sourceforge:

                          https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable/6.06.00/

                          Github: