Re: [pcgen] New to PCGen

  • Eric C Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
      If the Magus os what you are interested in you might check out the OOC file for the Magus Playtest. You can find it here:

      http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz/download

      I'm not sure what the differences are between it and the final Magus but this file represents the last Playtest Update that Paizo did for the Magus prior to the release of Ultimate Magic.

      Maredudd

      On Aug 31, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Otter wrote:

      > Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I'll just make my magus the old
      > fashioned way. :)

    • Jon Leeke
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
        I used the Magus Playtest dataset and it works fine, except that the
        spell list doesn't completely match what is in Ultimate Magic and some
        spells are missing. Just be aware of that when you make your character.

        On 8/31/2011 3:47 PM, Eric C Smith wrote:
        > If the Magus os what you are interested in you might check out the OOC file for the Magus Playtest. You can find it here:
        >
        > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz/download
        >
        > I'm not sure what the differences are between it and the final Magus but this file represents the last Playtest Update that Paizo did for the Magus prior to the release of Ultimate Magic.
        >
        > Maredudd
        >
        > On Aug 31, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Otter wrote:
        >
        >> Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I'll just make my magus the old
        >> fashioned way. :)

      • Otter
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
          Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
          walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?

          http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
          > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
          >
          > PCGen List File Help:

        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 31, 2011
            Hi Folks!

            Otter wrote:

            > Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
            > walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?

            Yep! There most certainly is. Take a look at the OOC Data Set Installation instructions under the Tools Menu in the Docs.

            Maredudd
          • Otter
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
              Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong. I'll try
              to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
              missing.

              1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
              (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)

              2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data

              3) Click select, find the
              5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
              and open

              4) Click data and install

              5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
              Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and I'm back
              at PCGen

              6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
              Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players (WIP)
              ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.

              Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
              and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
              Playtesting. So what am I missing?

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                When loading sources after the first time, pick "Use Advanced Screen."
                It will give you the option to pick and choose from installed datasets.
                Sometimes datasets are incompatible with each other and you have to
                check the source info screen to determine what works with what (but you
                probably won't encounter that until you have lots of datasets).

                Jon

                On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

                > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
                > I'll try
                > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
                > missing.
                >
                > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
                > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
                >
                > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
                >
                > 3) Click select, find the
                > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
                > and open
                >
                > 4) Click data and install
                >
                > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
                > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
                > I'm back
                > at PCGen
                >
                > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
                > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
                > (WIP)
                > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
                >
                > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
                > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
                > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
                >
                > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>

              • Eric C Smith
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                  Hi Folks!

                  The way the Playtest set is set up it requires the Core Rules and the APG, but does not recognize either the PF got GMs or the PF for PLayers loads as compatible so you will have to use the Advanced Source Load screen to configure the set.

                  Maredudd

                • Otter
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2011
                    Alright, I got it working. Thanks everyone!

                    Randy

                    On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

                    > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
                    > I'll try
                    > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
                    > missing.
                    >
                    > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
                    > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
                    >
                    > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
                    >
                    > 3) Click select, find the
                    > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
                    > and open
                    >
                    > 4) Click data and install
                    >
                    > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
                    > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
                    > I'm back
                    > at PCGen
                    >
                    > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
                    > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
                    > (WIP)
                    > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
                    >
                    > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
                    > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
                    > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
                    >
                    > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                    <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > [mailto:pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
                    > > walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?
                    >
                    > Yep! There most certainly is. Take a look at the OOC Data Set Installation
                    > instructions under the Tools Menu in the Docs.
                    >
                    > Maredudd

                  • Otter
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 3, 2011
                      How do you add things like making a weapon +1 thru +5, making it cold iron,
                      silver, adamantite, etc?

                      From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>

                      On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

                      > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
                      > I'll try
                      > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
                      > missing.
                      >
                      > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
                      > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
                      >
                      > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
                      >
                      > 3) Click select, find the
                      > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
                      > and open
                      >
                      > 4) Click data and install
                      >
                      > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
                      > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
                      > I'm back
                      > at PCGen
                      >
                      > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
                      > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
                      > (WIP)
                      > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
                      >
                      > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
                      > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
                      > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
                      >
                      > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                      <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                      <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > [mailto:pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                      <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
                      > > walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?
                      >
                      > Yep! There most certainly is. Take a look at the OOC Data Set Installation
                      > instructions under the Tools Menu in the Docs.
                      >
                      > Maredudd

                    • James Dempsey
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 3, 2011
                        Hi ,

                        On 4/09/2011 8:12 AM Otter wrote
                        > How do you add things like making a weapon +1 thru +5, making it cold iron,
                        > silver, adamantite, etc?
                        You need to create a custom item for those. In the gear tab, right click
                        on a base item (e.g. scale mail) select "Create Custom Item" and a
                        dialog will appear allowing you to add enhancements, change the base
                        material, override the default name, weight, cost etc.

                        Cheers,
                        James.