New to PCGen

  • Daishar
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011
      I just downloaded PCGen a couple of days ago and was ready to hop in and use it for Pathfinder character creation. However, I noticed that some of the newer books, namely Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat are not included. Will they be coming soon or is permission still needed to use that content for PCGen?
    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011
        Hi Daishar!

        PCGen has permission to include the material in our distribution but as the books are relatively recent, these books are not current available. There is a data monkey actively working on Ultimate Magic and once it is finished and has passed through the required internal reviews it will be added to our distribution.

        Maredudd

        On Aug 31, 2011, at 1:22 PM, Daishar wrote:

        > I just downloaded PCGen a couple of days ago and was ready to hop in and use it for Pathfinder character creation. However, I noticed that some of the newer books, namely Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat are not included. Will they be coming soon or is permission still needed to use that content for PCGen?
      • Otter
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011
          Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I'll just make my magus the old
          fashioned way. :)

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011
            If the Magus os what you are interested in you might check out the OOC file for the Magus Playtest. You can find it here:

            http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz/download

            I'm not sure what the differences are between it and the final Magus but this file represents the last Playtest Update that Paizo did for the Magus prior to the release of Ultimate Magic.

            Maredudd

            On Aug 31, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Otter wrote:

            > Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I'll just make my magus the old
            > fashioned way. :)

          • Jon Leeke
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011
              I used the Magus Playtest dataset and it works fine, except that the
              spell list doesn't completely match what is in Ultimate Magic and some
              spells are missing. Just be aware of that when you make your character.

              On 8/31/2011 3:47 PM, Eric C Smith wrote:
              > If the Magus os what you are interested in you might check out the OOC file for the Magus Playtest. You can find it here:
              >
              > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz/download
              >
              > I'm not sure what the differences are between it and the final Magus but this file represents the last Playtest Update that Paizo did for the Magus prior to the release of Ultimate Magic.
              >
              > Maredudd
              >
              > On Aug 31, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Otter wrote:
              >
              >> Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I'll just make my magus the old
              >> fashioned way. :)

            • Otter
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011
                Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
                walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?

                http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
                > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
                >
                > PCGen List File Help:

              • Eric C Smith
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 31, 2011
                  Hi Folks!

                  Otter wrote:

                  > Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
                  > walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?

                  Yep! There most certainly is. Take a look at the OOC Data Set Installation instructions under the Tools Menu in the Docs.

                  Maredudd
                • Otter
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
                    Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong. I'll try
                    to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
                    missing.

                    1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
                    (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)

                    2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data

                    3) Click select, find the
                    5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
                    and open

                    4) Click data and install

                    5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
                    Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and I'm back
                    at PCGen

                    6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
                    Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players (WIP)
                    ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.

                    Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
                    and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
                    Playtesting. So what am I missing?

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
                      When loading sources after the first time, pick "Use Advanced Screen."
                      It will give you the option to pick and choose from installed datasets.
                      Sometimes datasets are incompatible with each other and you have to
                      check the source info screen to determine what works with what (but you
                      probably won't encounter that until you have lots of datasets).

                      Jon

                      On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

                      > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
                      > I'll try
                      > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
                      > missing.
                      >
                      > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
                      > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
                      >
                      > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
                      >
                      > 3) Click select, find the
                      > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
                      > and open
                      >
                      > 4) Click data and install
                      >
                      > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
                      > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
                      > I'm back
                      > at PCGen
                      >
                      > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
                      > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
                      > (WIP)
                      > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
                      >
                      > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
                      > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
                      > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
                      >
                      > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>

                    • Eric C Smith
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
                        Hi Folks!

                        The way the Playtest set is set up it requires the Core Rules and the APG, but does not recognize either the PF got GMs or the PF for PLayers loads as compatible so you will have to use the Advanced Source Load screen to configure the set.

                        Maredudd

                      • Otter
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 1, 2011
                          Alright, I got it working. Thanks everyone!

                          Randy

                          On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

                          > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
                          > I'll try
                          > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
                          > missing.
                          >
                          > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
                          > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
                          >
                          > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
                          >
                          > 3) Click select, find the
                          > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
                          > and open
                          >
                          > 4) Click data and install
                          >
                          > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
                          > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
                          > I'm back
                          > at PCGen
                          >
                          > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
                          > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
                          > (WIP)
                          > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
                          >
                          > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
                          > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
                          > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
                          >
                          > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > [mailto:pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
                          > > walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?
                          >
                          > Yep! There most certainly is. Take a look at the OOC Data Set Installation
                          > instructions under the Tools Menu in the Docs.
                          >
                          > Maredudd

                        • Otter
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 3, 2011
                            How do you add things like making a weapon +1 thru +5, making it cold iron,
                            silver, adamantite, etc?

                            From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>

                            On 9/1/2011 5:54 PM, Otter wrote:

                            > Thanks for the information but I seem to be doing something wrong.
                            > I'll try
                            > to outline what I am doing and maybe someone can point out what I am
                            > missing.
                            >
                            > 1)So I downloaded the file and placed it in the PCGen folder
                            > (C:/programfiles(x86)/pcgen/pcgen5164)
                            >
                            > 2)Then I open PCGen, go to Tools and Install Data
                            >
                            > 3) Click select, find the
                            > 5164_paizo_pathfinder_ultimate_magic_playtest_round_3.pcz and click on it
                            > and open
                            >
                            > 4) Click data and install
                            >
                            > 5) I got the message Data set Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate
                            > Magic Playtest 2 installed successfully, click ok, click cancel and
                            > I'm back
                            > at PCGen
                            >
                            > 6) Go Settings, Load Source (currently I have PF RPG for Game Masters,
                            > Pathfinders RPG for Players - Advanced and Pathfinder RPG for Players
                            > (WIP)
                            > ) click Add, choose Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and OK.
                            >
                            > Here is where I am a bit lost. I have looked under Alpha Datasets, Custom,
                            > and Paizo Publishing but have not found anything mentioning Ultimate Magic
                            > Playtesting. So what am I missing?
                            >
                            > From: pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                            <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                            <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > [mailto:pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                            <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > > Once I download this how to load the source? Is there a handy dandy
                            > > walkthrough set of instructions somewhere?
                            >
                            > Yep! There most certainly is. Take a look at the OOC Data Set Installation
                            > instructions under the Tools Menu in the Docs.
                            >
                            > Maredudd

                          • James Dempsey
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 3, 2011
                              Hi ,

                              On 4/09/2011 8:12 AM Otter wrote
                              > How do you add things like making a weapon +1 thru +5, making it cold iron,
                              > silver, adamantite, etc?
                              You need to create a custom item for those. In the gear tab, right click
                              on a base item (e.g. scale mail) select "Create Custom Item" and a
                              dialog will appear allowing you to add enhancements, change the base
                              material, override the default name, weight, cost etc.

                              Cheers,
                              James.
                            • seanmcgreevey
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 2, 2016

                                I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I'm trying to add an Archetype from the Inner Sea Magic Campaign Setting. In the Sources under Paizo Publishing, I see Inner See Primer and Inner Sea World Guide only. Am I missing something? If not, is there a way to request adding this Campaign source?

                                Or, I want to add the Tattooed Sorcerer to my character. Perhaps there's another way to accomplish this?

                                Sean

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 3, 2016
                                  Hi,

                                  Inner Sea Magic already exists in pcgen version 6.06.00.

                                  Grab the download here:

                                  Sourceforge:

                                  https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable/6.06.00/

                                  Github: