Re: [pcgen] 5.17.8 pathfinder first impressions

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2011

      Odd, as I don't think much in the way of code work was done. Mainly just a bunch of set updates
      across the board.

      Perhaps we can get some captures set up to see where the memory slow down is happening. [Definitely
      makes me hope the UI will be finished soon, it's WAY Fast!]

      Tom showed me a trick to do the capture but you need a command prompt window open. I think you run
      pcgen from the command prompt and then when you have a slow down, you hit CTRL Break, or just break,
      I can't remember. It should paste a bunch of code stuff. This the coders can look at and fix the
      code with.

      Cheers,

      On 8/2/2011 2:31 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
      > compared to 5.17.67 ... slower and greedy of memory.
      > (I run on Win7 64, with 8GB ram, so it's not a lack of real memory
      > that;'s a problem...)

      > companions, shadow companion,...), 5.17.7 uses less memory, and is
      > impressively sprightly at switching between characters.
      >
      > 5.17.8 running with default memory parameters keeps garbage collecting
      > the heap; running with high-mem batch file, it uses more memory (not
      > paging, mind, just using it) and has reverted to being sluggish to
      > switch between characters.
      >
      > Is there a pressing benefit to using 5.17.8 vs 5.17.7?

    • Saxum Caribetum
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2011
        On 02/08/2011 22:57, Andrew wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Odd, as I don't think much in the way of code work was done. Mainly just a bunch of set updates
        > across the board.
        >
        > Perhaps we can get some captures set up to see where the memory slow down is happening. [Definitely
        > makes me hope the UI will be finished soon, it's WAY Fast!]
        >
        > Tom showed me a trick to do the capture but you need a command prompt window open. I think you run
        > pcgen from the command prompt and then when you have a slow down, you hit CTRL Break, or just break,
        > I can't remember. It should paste a bunch of code stuff. This the coders can look at and fix the
        > code with.

        so it does!

        OK I have created a JIRA for this, and attached to it ZIP files with

        * the characters
        * (but not their image files - dunno if you need their portraits too?)
        * the small homebrew they use - just deities and languages
        * the text output captured from ^Break repeatedly while running slowly

        --
        Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"