[pcgen] 5.17.8 pathfinder first impressions

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2 2:31 PM
      compared to 5.17.67 ... slower and greedy of memory.
      (I run on Win7 64, with 8GB ram, so it's not a lack of real memory
      that;'s a problem...)

      companions, shadow companion,...), 5.17.7 uses less memory, and is
      impressively sprightly at switching between characters.

      5.17.8 running with default memory parameters keeps garbage collecting
      the heap; running with high-mem batch file, it uses more memory (not
      paging, mind, just using it) and has reverted to being sluggish to
      switch between characters.

      Is there a pressing benefit to using 5.17.8 vs 5.17.7?

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2 2:57 PM

        Odd, as I don't think much in the way of code work was done. Mainly just a bunch of set updates
        across the board.

        Perhaps we can get some captures set up to see where the memory slow down is happening. [Definitely
        makes me hope the UI will be finished soon, it's WAY Fast!]

        Tom showed me a trick to do the capture but you need a command prompt window open. I think you run
        pcgen from the command prompt and then when you have a slow down, you hit CTRL Break, or just break,
        I can't remember. It should paste a bunch of code stuff. This the coders can look at and fix the
        code with.

        Cheers,

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3 1:00 PM
          On 02/08/2011 22:57, Andrew wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Odd, as I don't think much in the way of code work was done. Mainly just a bunch of set updates
          > across the board.
          >
          > Perhaps we can get some captures set up to see where the memory slow down is happening. [Definitely
          > makes me hope the UI will be finished soon, it's WAY Fast!]
          >
          > Tom showed me a trick to do the capture but you need a command prompt window open. I think you run
          > pcgen from the command prompt and then when you have a slow down, you hit CTRL Break, or just break,
          > I can't remember. It should paste a bunch of code stuff. This the coders can look at and fix the
          > code with.

          so it does!

          OK I have created a JIRA for this, and attached to it ZIP files with

          * the characters
          * (but not their image files - dunno if you need their portraits too?)
          * the small homebrew they use - just deities and languages
          * the text output captured from ^Break repeatedly while running slowly