PCGen, Ubuntu and Deskop user

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
      Okay I'm trying to get my Ubuntu laptop setup so that there's a "PCGen" user for use at GenCon that way nobody can accidentally mess with the computer while nobody is looking, Account is set to Desktop User. But the pcgen.sh won't launch, the pcgen.jar will but is bringing up the blank screens like it's using OpenJDK.

      My java version is 1.6.0_26" Java SE Runtime Environment.

      Here's the kicker, my main user account (which is an admin account) brings it up just fine.

      Is there any tweeks I'm missing when creating a Desktop User account?
    • Peter Whitby
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
        Quick workaround:
        You could open a terminal, start the pcgen.sh with sudo. That way, any
        other action, including stopping PCGen and using the shell, will do so
        at the PCGen account permissions.

        Just a dumb question, but have you put the execute permissions onto
        pcgen.sh? They're off by default...

        Pete

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
          No I made the pcgen.sh executable. And this is a desktop user so it doesn't have access to sudo does it?

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Peter Whitby <uncle@...> wrote:

          > Quick workaround:
          > You could open a terminal, start the pcgen.sh with sudo. That way, any
          > other action, including stopping PCGen and using the shell, will do so
          > at the PCGen account permissions.
          >
          > Just a dumb question, but have you put the execute permissions onto
          > pcgen.sh? They're off by default...
          >
          > Pete
          >

          > On 02/08/11 10:20, Paul wrote:
          > >
          > > Okay I'm trying to get my Ubuntu laptop setup so that there's a
          > > "PCGen" user for use at GenCon that way nobody can accidentally mess
          > > with the computer while nobody is looking, Account is set to Desktop
          > > User. But the pcgen.sh won't launch, the pcgen.jar will but is
          > > bringing up the blank screens like it's using OpenJDK.
          > >
          > > My java version is 1.6.0_26" Java SE Runtime Environment.
          > >
          > > Here's the kicker, my main user account (which is an admin account)
          > > brings it up just fine.
          > >
          > > Is there any tweeks I'm missing when creating a Desktop User account?

        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2011
            What happens when you run java --version from the terminal as the desktop
            user?

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2011
              I get Sun Java listed, my laptop is packed otherwise I'd paste and show you.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2011
                as the admin both Sun and OpenJDK are listed I wonder if I should completely remove OpenJDK.

                How do you do that in linux?

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2011
                  I don't run Ubuntu or Linux myself at the moment, but you could perhaps
                  follow:

                  http://ejvyas.blogspot.com/2010/11/remove-open-jdk-and-installed-sun-java.html