Problems with Natural Weapons

  • Floyd
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
      I'm attempting to implement a class which uses Claws (Primary/Natural) for it's attacks.

      I have it so the claws show up properly on the preview, I can save the character and everything looks okay. However, when I load the character, I get a series of pop-ups saying the Claws weapon cannot be found and the character is no longer proficient with claws. I've been comparing the save file with a Lion and, aside from the claws being primary for the PC and secondary for the lion, they look identical.

      Any thoughts on what I've done incorrectly?

      A secondary issue lies with wanting the claws damage die size to increase as the class goes up in level, along the same lines as a Monks unarmed damage. I've no real idea how to manage that since NaturalAttacks will not accept a defined variable for the damage aspect. Any suggestions there are welcome, as well!
    • Floyd
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2011
        After much experimentation, I've managed to solve the problem I was having with the load issues.

        I am still having a problem with the second aspect of my post -- having the damage die value of the Natural Attack increases with the level of the character at the same rate Unarmed damage for Monks does.

        I tried using DAMAGESIZE but that resulted in values that did not match the desired progression. I tried using multiple class abilities and the .REPLACE function, but that did nothing.

        Any suggestions?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2011

          It's been a busy weekend, so apologies that no one has managed to answer your questions with any
          sort of clarity.

          Natural Attacks have been in a sore disarray of requiring improvements to handle newer ideas and
          meet the homebrew needs.

          To that end, there is no method to control the die size progression outside the one set up for Size
          Increase.

          I have made a NEW OS Block that fixes that problem, however, it's a temporary solution till we can
          get Natural Attacks revamped.

          What can the new OS Block do?
          It can allow independent and alterable reach for the attack
          It can take variables for damage
          It can change the crit value and range
          It can take special properties

          Again, this is a workaround using LST Aspect tags. I have an example posted, as this was meant to
          handle a few cases of Animal Companion Multi-Attack issues. [Something to do when I have the actual
          time to do it].

          http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/OS-77

          Cheers,

          On 7/11/2011 11:11 AM, Floyd wrote:
          > After much experimentation, I've managed to solve the problem I was having with the load issues.
          >
          > I am still having a problem with the second aspect of my post -- having the damage die value of the Natural Attack increases with the level of the character at the same rate Unarmed damage for Monks does.
          >
          > I tried using DAMAGESIZE but that resulted in values that did not match the desired progression. I tried using multiple class abilities and the .REPLACE function, but that did nothing.
          >
          > Any suggestions?
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Floyd" <fgrubb@...> wrote:
          >> I'm attempting to implement a class which uses Claws (Primary/Natural) for it's attacks.
          >>
          >> I have it so the claws show up properly on the preview, I can save the character and everything looks okay. However, when I load the character, I get a series of pop-ups saying the Claws weapon cannot be found and the character is no longer proficient with claws. I've been comparing the save file with a Lion and, aside from the claws being primary for the PC and secondary for the lion, they look identical.
          >>
          >> Any thoughts on what I've done incorrectly?
          >>
          >> A secondary issue lies with wanting the claws damage die size to increase as the class goes up in level, along the same lines as a Monks unarmed damage. I've no real idea how to manage that since NaturalAttacks will not accept a defined variable for the damage aspect. Any suggestions there are welcome, as well!

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        • Fyndhal
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2011
            Thanks for the response. I set up a Claw attack using the format listed in the JIRA and tried it out. Unfortunately, the claw attack didn't show up on the output Preview.html sheet at all. It's entirely possible that's due to data errors on my part, so I'll take a look at it in more depth tonight.

            FWIW, I've been using and making homebrew data files for PCGen ever since I first discovered it somewhere around version 1.2. It truly is pretty dang cool. Everyone involved should feel proud.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12, 2011
              My apologies, but the new OS isn't set up in the preview or htm formats. It's only for pdf export