Re: Error PC Gen 5.17.7

  • distant_scholar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2 4:42 AM
      Martial Weapon Proficiencies: I do know that there's been a change in how the classes proficient in all martial weapons are handled between 5.16.4 and 5.17.7 (I'm not quite sure when the change happened). That might be part of the first item.

      As for metamagic feats, I can't see any reason why a fighter (et al.) would not qualify for a metamagic feat. They wouldn't get any use out of it, but there's no "must be a spellcaster" or the like listed in the prerequisites.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2 11:44 AM

        Yes, we aren't granting the Martial Weapon Proficiency Feat, we've altered how we are doing that.
        That would be me, and there was a very good reason for doing it - The code had changed requiring
        that you SELECT the proficiency granted... And since the number of martial proficiencies fluctuates
        based upon the sets you load, I took steps to fix it so we wouldn't have to worry about it, and show
        that the character does have the "feat" if need be. As long as nothing has changed and it works,
        there shouldn't be an issue. You'll see the Martial Weapon Proficiency listed on the character sheet
        if you export it.

        Doug already answered the Metamagic Feats, unless there is a reason they shouldn't qualify, i.e. the
        feat says must be x, then I agree, it's working as expected and nothing needs to be done.

        After all, what if you're playing a Fighter/Wizard?

        Cheers,

        On 7/2/2011 4:42 AM, distant_scholar wrote:

        > Martial Weapon Proficiencies: I do know that there's been a change in how the classes proficient in all martial weapons are handled between 5.16.4 and 5.17.7 (I'm not quite sure when the change happened). That might be part of the first item.
        >
        > As for metamagic feats, I can't see any reason why a fighter (et al.) would not qualify for a metamagic feat. They wouldn't get any use out of it, but there's no "must be a spellcaster" or the like listed in the prerequisites.
        >

        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "stepson_nikodemos" <stepson.nikodemos@...> wrote:
        >> Life to you, Data Monkeys. And everlasting glory.
        >>
        >> I'm using PC Gen 5.17.7, and the 3.5 RSRD Campaign Set I and the
        >> complete 3.5 RSRD. I've noticed two things that Martial Weapon
        >> Proficiency do not show in the Ability section of the Feats & Abilities
        >> tab, for the Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger and the class i'm copying from
        >> Thieves' World Player's Manual. Yet you can still pick the martial
        >> weapons from the equipment list as you qualify to use them due to the
        >> All Martial Weapons Proficiency code in the classes.lst.
        >>
        >> The other thing i've noticed is that the Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Rogue
        >> and the class i'm copying from Thieves' World Player's Manual. All of
        >> these classes have access too Metamagic Feats, even Metamagic.Wizard
        >> Feats.
        >>
        >> Yours Niko

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • stepson_nikodemos
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2 3:26 PM
          Life to you, Barak. And everlasting glory.

          Just checked to see if I had "Bypass Feat Prerequisites" option turned
          on and I haven't.

          Yours Niko

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]
        • stepson_nikodemos
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2 4:30 PM
            Life to you, Andrew. And everlasting glory.

            Thanks for clearing up the Martial Weapon Proficiency Feat. As for the
            Metamagic feats, they are listed as Type Metamagic.Wizard, and unless
            you can cast spells they are absolutely useless to you, as they all
            increase the level of the spell being cast. So you can't use them with
            any magical device, unless you have it added during the creation of the
            device. And as for your example of a Fighter/Wizard, you've selected a
            spell caster you qualify to use the feats in question and they may prove
            useful.

            http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
            > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
            > >
            > > PCGen List File Help:
            > >
            > > PCGen Experimental:
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > --
            > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
            > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

          • distant_scholar
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2 11:47 PM
              The program is set up to allow "legal" choices, not necessarily "smart" choices. I bet one could give a character Weapon Specialization (Net) for all the good it would do.

              The Metamagic TYPE just means the feat counts as a Metamagic feat (for prerequisite purposes). The Wizard TYPE just means the feat can be taken as a Wizard Bonus Feat. Neither is a restriction on who can take it.

              As far as the Fighter/Wizard goes, I can imagine someone planning a Fighter/Wizard starting with Fighter and wanting to take (say) Still Spell as the 1st-level feat, before any spellcasting is available. The rules don't stop it.