Error PC Gen 5.17.7

  • stepson_nikodemos
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
      Life to you, Data Monkeys. And everlasting glory.

      I'm using PC Gen 5.17.7, and the 3.5 RSRD Campaign Set I and the
      complete 3.5 RSRD. I've noticed two things that Martial Weapon
      Proficiency do not show in the Ability section of the Feats & Abilities
      tab, for the Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger and the class i'm copying from
      Thieves' World Player's Manual. Yet you can still pick the martial
      weapons from the equipment list as you qualify to use them due to the
      All Martial Weapons Proficiency code in the classes.lst.

      The other thing i've noticed is that the Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Rogue
      and the class i'm copying from Thieves' World Player's Manual. All of
      these classes have access too Metamagic Feats, even Metamagic.Wizard
      Feats.

      Yours Niko

    • Barak
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011

        It sounds to me like you have the "Bypass Feat Prerequisites" option turned
        on.

        Barak
      • distant_scholar
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
          Martial Weapon Proficiencies: I do know that there's been a change in how the classes proficient in all martial weapons are handled between 5.16.4 and 5.17.7 (I'm not quite sure when the change happened). That might be part of the first item.

          As for metamagic feats, I can't see any reason why a fighter (et al.) would not qualify for a metamagic feat. They wouldn't get any use out of it, but there's no "must be a spellcaster" or the like listed in the prerequisites.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011

            Yes, we aren't granting the Martial Weapon Proficiency Feat, we've altered how we are doing that.
            That would be me, and there was a very good reason for doing it - The code had changed requiring
            that you SELECT the proficiency granted... And since the number of martial proficiencies fluctuates
            based upon the sets you load, I took steps to fix it so we wouldn't have to worry about it, and show
            that the character does have the "feat" if need be. As long as nothing has changed and it works,
            there shouldn't be an issue. You'll see the Martial Weapon Proficiency listed on the character sheet
            if you export it.

            Doug already answered the Metamagic Feats, unless there is a reason they shouldn't qualify, i.e. the
            feat says must be x, then I agree, it's working as expected and nothing needs to be done.

            After all, what if you're playing a Fighter/Wizard?

            Cheers,

            On 7/2/2011 4:42 AM, distant_scholar wrote:

            > Martial Weapon Proficiencies: I do know that there's been a change in how the classes proficient in all martial weapons are handled between 5.16.4 and 5.17.7 (I'm not quite sure when the change happened). That might be part of the first item.
            >
            > As for metamagic feats, I can't see any reason why a fighter (et al.) would not qualify for a metamagic feat. They wouldn't get any use out of it, but there's no "must be a spellcaster" or the like listed in the prerequisites.
            >

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "stepson_nikodemos" <stepson.nikodemos@...> wrote:
            >> Life to you, Data Monkeys. And everlasting glory.
            >>
            >> I'm using PC Gen 5.17.7, and the 3.5 RSRD Campaign Set I and the
            >> complete 3.5 RSRD. I've noticed two things that Martial Weapon
            >> Proficiency do not show in the Ability section of the Feats & Abilities
            >> tab, for the Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger and the class i'm copying from
            >> Thieves' World Player's Manual. Yet you can still pick the martial
            >> weapons from the equipment list as you qualify to use them due to the
            >> All Martial Weapons Proficiency code in the classes.lst.
            >>
            >> The other thing i've noticed is that the Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Rogue
            >> and the class i'm copying from Thieves' World Player's Manual. All of
            >> these classes have access too Metamagic Feats, even Metamagic.Wizard
            >> Feats.
            >>
            >> Yours Niko

            > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          • stepson_nikodemos
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
              Life to you, Barak. And everlasting glory.

              Just checked to see if I had "Bypass Feat Prerequisites" option turned
              on and I haven't.

              Yours Niko

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]
            • stepson_nikodemos
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
                Life to you, Andrew. And everlasting glory.

                Thanks for clearing up the Martial Weapon Proficiency Feat. As for the
                Metamagic feats, they are listed as Type Metamagic.Wizard, and unless
                you can cast spells they are absolutely useless to you, as they all
                increase the level of the spell being cast. So you can't use them with
                any magical device, unless you have it added during the creation of the
                device. And as for your example of a Fighter/Wizard, you've selected a
                spell caster you qualify to use the feats in question and they may prove
                useful.

                http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
                > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
                > >
                > > PCGen List File Help:
                > >
                > > PCGen Experimental:
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                > --
                > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

              • distant_scholar
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2011
                  The program is set up to allow "legal" choices, not necessarily "smart" choices. I bet one could give a character Weapon Specialization (Net) for all the good it would do.

                  The Metamagic TYPE just means the feat counts as a Metamagic feat (for prerequisite purposes). The Wizard TYPE just means the feat can be taken as a Wizard Bonus Feat. Neither is a restriction on who can take it.

                  As far as the Fighter/Wizard goes, I can imagine someone planning a Fighter/Wizard starting with Fighter and wanting to take (say) Still Spell as the 1st-level feat, before any spellcasting is available. The rules don't stop it.