Re: Advice on how to edit the LST files?

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
      Its also advised to actually note any nonstandard tab stops as a comment at the start of the file :-)

      > It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
      > change a couple of webpages/docs.
    • Ainvar G
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 15, 2011
        Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still normal, to be honest.

        AinvarG

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 16, 2011
          Quoting Ainvar G (ainvarg@...):
          > Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a
          > tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still
          > normal, to be honest.

          Funny. In my keyboarding classes, also pre-computer, a tab was defined by
          pressing the tab key, which transported the typewriter head to the next
          tab-stop. According to---if I remember correctly---a DIN (German Industry
          Norm) the distance of those tab-stops was defined as 8. Which was the same
          my grandpa's old and wonderful mechanical typewriter had built in.

          Susan
        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 16, 2011
            Greetings,
            I'm sure when I learnt to touchtype* my manual typewriter had settable tabstops, you could realign them to any column you required...

            That's the point I guess, a tab is to line up the text into a 'convenient' position, it certainly wasnt a fixed number globally, and wasnt even a fixed number for each tab on a line! (tab stops set at column 6,20,28,36 & 50 would do your paragraph indent and data into a table)

            however we probably digress... set tabs at whatever looks good, and just be consistent, and indicate what size you use.

            *Touchtyping - I'd consider that a prerequisite to 'enjoy' using vi :-) A mouse is unnecessary.

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

            > Quoting Ainvar G (ainvarg@...):
            > > Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a
            > > tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still
            > > normal, to be honest.
            >
            > Funny. In my keyboarding classes, also pre-computer, a tab was defined by
            > pressing the tab key, which transported the typewriter head to the next
            > tab-stop. According to---if I remember correctly---a DIN (German Industry
            > Norm) the distance of those tab-stops was defined as 8. Which was the same
            > my grandpa's old and wonderful mechanical typewriter had built in.
            >
            > Susan

          • Ainvar G
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 19, 2011
              Making me think way back now, aren't you?

              If memory serves, we had two choices of fonts to work with - Elite and Pica. I believe Elite was 12 characters per inch while Pica was 10 cpi.  We generally used Elite.  Thinking back, I don't remember if we were supposed to be setting the tab stops at the half-inch or at 6 characters, but it was effectively the same.

              But as usual, you are correct - the tabs were defined by the tab stops on the typewriters -- the practice in our coursework happened to work out to be 6 characters, so it's always been the norm in the back of my mind, I guess.

              And for the record, I'm not knocking vi in any fashion -- I'm not a professional developer, but it's a virtual guarantee that will spend an hour or two using it every day I'm at work. I prefer it to the alternatives that the whippersnappers keep showing me. ;-)