Re: Advice on how to edit the LST files?

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
      Greetings,
      Yes, familiarity (through work) is the biggie, the other thing is, as you say, vim works anywhere...even on some of the more obscure OS's there's still a copy of 'vi' at least.
      It probably does boil down to touch typing too - using Vim I rarely take my hands off the keyboard.

      I did try notepad++, and I think I couldnt get the syntax colouring to work for pcc & lst files, so thought there was no real gain to be had, and moved back.
      I'll try it again if I can figure the syntax colouring.

      Cheers
      Dave
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

      > > I don't know why the previous poster disagreed with Notepad++ - I find
      > > it useful for almost all plain-text purposes.
      >
      > Well, as he wrote he's using vim at work extensively. I do, too, and I find
      > other editors quite difficult to handle -- no matter how good they are --
      > because they are so different from vim. And there's another point speaking
      > against notepad++: It only runs on windows (or maybe on emulated windows).
      >
      > Susan

    • FerretDave
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
        Greetings,

        It is (or at least was) common practice to reduce the tabstop to less than 8, to 'save space' in program code - each loop or conditional is indented to make it more readable, and 8 spaces for a tab can be excessive once you've got a lot of nested code. 4 or 6 is fairly common, and I'd guess that the originator of this setting just used the standard that they used for their other code.

        With list files, there's no reason to use any particular value, we're resigned to having to scroll through the long lines anyway, so I'd vote for putting it back to a standard setting of 8.

        Cheers

        > It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
        > change a couple of webpages/docs.

      • FerretDave
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
          Its also advised to actually note any nonstandard tab stops as a comment at the start of the file :-)

          > It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
          > change a couple of webpages/docs.
        • Ainvar G
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 15, 2011
            Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still normal, to be honest.

            AinvarG

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 16, 2011
              Quoting Ainvar G (ainvarg@...):
              > Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a
              > tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still
              > normal, to be honest.

              Funny. In my keyboarding classes, also pre-computer, a tab was defined by
              pressing the tab key, which transported the typewriter head to the next
              tab-stop. According to---if I remember correctly---a DIN (German Industry
              Norm) the distance of those tab-stops was defined as 8. Which was the same
              my grandpa's old and wonderful mechanical typewriter had built in.

              Susan
            • FerretDave
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 16, 2011
                Greetings,
                I'm sure when I learnt to touchtype* my manual typewriter had settable tabstops, you could realign them to any column you required...

                That's the point I guess, a tab is to line up the text into a 'convenient' position, it certainly wasnt a fixed number globally, and wasnt even a fixed number for each tab on a line! (tab stops set at column 6,20,28,36 & 50 would do your paragraph indent and data into a table)

                however we probably digress... set tabs at whatever looks good, and just be consistent, and indicate what size you use.

                *Touchtyping - I'd consider that a prerequisite to 'enjoy' using vi :-) A mouse is unnecessary.

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

                > Quoting Ainvar G (ainvarg@...):
                > > Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a
                > > tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still
                > > normal, to be honest.
                >
                > Funny. In my keyboarding classes, also pre-computer, a tab was defined by
                > pressing the tab key, which transported the typewriter head to the next
                > tab-stop. According to---if I remember correctly---a DIN (German Industry
                > Norm) the distance of those tab-stops was defined as 8. Which was the same
                > my grandpa's old and wonderful mechanical typewriter had built in.
                >
                > Susan

              • Ainvar G
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 19, 2011
                  Making me think way back now, aren't you?

                  If memory serves, we had two choices of fonts to work with - Elite and Pica. I believe Elite was 12 characters per inch while Pica was 10 cpi.  We generally used Elite.  Thinking back, I don't remember if we were supposed to be setting the tab stops at the half-inch or at 6 characters, but it was effectively the same.

                  But as usual, you are correct - the tabs were defined by the tab stops on the typewriters -- the practice in our coursework happened to work out to be 6 characters, so it's always been the norm in the back of my mind, I guess.

                  And for the record, I'm not knocking vi in any fashion -- I'm not a professional developer, but it's a virtual guarantee that will spend an hour or two using it every day I'm at work. I prefer it to the alternatives that the whippersnappers keep showing me. ;-)