Re: [pcgen] Problems switching from 5.16 to 5.17

  • Andrew Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011
      On 6 June 2011 14:43, Ragabash Moon <RagabashMoon@...> wrote:

      > I noticed that on the logs when I was loading the pathfinder books
      > recently, the
      > deprecated thing... if I overwrite with the OOC6 data will that be fixed,
      > or are
      > those changes still in the works?

      They're still in OOC6. we could only release an OOC6 that works with 5.16.4
      because we haven't updated the data to 5.17.whatever syntax yet.

      I believe that the data team does not intend to update that until 6.0 is
      ready
      for release.

      andrew

    • Ragabash Moon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011
        Ok, so what exactly does it mean? Does the commands not work anymore, or will it
        all still work just the logs are a note to change in the future?

        ________________________________
        > I noticed that on the logs when I was loading the pathfinder books
        > recently, the
        > deprecated thing... if I overwrite with the OOC6 data will that be fixed,
        > or are
        > those changes still in the works?

        They're still in OOC6. we could only release an OOC6 that works with 5.16.4
        because we haven't updated the data to 5.17.whatever syntax yet.

        I believe that the data team does not intend to update that until 6.0 is
        ready
        for release.

        andrew

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011

          Those will remain until we release the next stable. (This ensures backwards compatibility to stable versions for those who don’t keep up with every latest release).

          Barak
        • Ragabash Moon
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011
            Ah ok cool... so then one more question... when you update to the next stable,
            will old characters be automatically updated when they are loaded, or will they
            have to be recreated with the newer datasets?

            ________________________________
            > I noticed that on the logs when I was loading the pathfinder books recently,
            > the deprecated thing... if I overwrite with the OOC6 data will that be fixed,
            >or
            > are those changes still in the works?

            Those will remain until we release the next stable. (This ensures backwards
            compatibility to stable versions for those who don’t keep up with every latest
            release).

            Barak

          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011
              Auto-updated is the plan

              On 6 June 2011 15:09, Ragabash Moon <RagabashMoon@...> wrote:

              > Ah ok cool... so then one more question... when you update to the next
              > stable,
              > will old characters be automatically updated when they are loaded, or will
              > they
              > have to be recreated with the newer datasets?

            • Barak
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011

                It means the tag is on the chopping block. :)

                Once it has been decided that a tag has to go, whatever new functionality is replacing it is put in place and the program is modified to give notice on load that the old tag is now deprecated. To give users who create their own data some time, that is left in place through one stable release. Even though it tosses out warnings, the tag(s) in question will still work.

                In the following stable release the tag(s) functionality will be removed from the program and they will no longer function (and you should get warnings on load of this fact).

                Barak