Re: [pcgen] Problems switching from 5.16 to 5.17

  • Ragabash Moon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011
      I noticed that on the logs when I was loading the pathfinder books recently, the
      deprecated thing... if I overwrite with the OOC6 data will that be fixed, or are
      those changes still in the works?

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011
        On 6 June 2011 14:43, Ragabash Moon <RagabashMoon@...> wrote:

        > I noticed that on the logs when I was loading the pathfinder books
        > recently, the
        > deprecated thing... if I overwrite with the OOC6 data will that be fixed,
        > or are
        > those changes still in the works?

        They're still in OOC6. we could only release an OOC6 that works with 5.16.4
        because we haven't updated the data to 5.17.whatever syntax yet.

        I believe that the data team does not intend to update that until 6.0 is
        ready
        for release.

        andrew

      • Ragabash Moon
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011
          Ok, so what exactly does it mean? Does the commands not work anymore, or will it
          all still work just the logs are a note to change in the future?

          ________________________________
          > I noticed that on the logs when I was loading the pathfinder books
          > recently, the
          > deprecated thing... if I overwrite with the OOC6 data will that be fixed,
          > or are
          > those changes still in the works?

          They're still in OOC6. we could only release an OOC6 that works with 5.16.4
          because we haven't updated the data to 5.17.whatever syntax yet.

          I believe that the data team does not intend to update that until 6.0 is
          ready
          for release.

          andrew

        • Barak
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011

            Those will remain until we release the next stable. (This ensures backwards compatibility to stable versions for those who don’t keep up with every latest release).

            Barak
          • Ragabash Moon
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011
              Ah ok cool... so then one more question... when you update to the next stable,
              will old characters be automatically updated when they are loaded, or will they
              have to be recreated with the newer datasets?

              ________________________________
              > I noticed that on the logs when I was loading the pathfinder books recently,
              > the deprecated thing... if I overwrite with the OOC6 data will that be fixed,
              >or
              > are those changes still in the works?

              Those will remain until we release the next stable. (This ensures backwards
              compatibility to stable versions for those who don’t keep up with every latest
              release).

              Barak

            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011
                Auto-updated is the plan

                On 6 June 2011 15:09, Ragabash Moon <RagabashMoon@...> wrote:

                > Ah ok cool... so then one more question... when you update to the next
                > stable,
                > will old characters be automatically updated when they are loaded, or will
                > they
                > have to be recreated with the newer datasets?

              • Barak
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2011

                  It means the tag is on the chopping block. :)

                  Once it has been decided that a tag has to go, whatever new functionality is replacing it is put in place and the program is modified to give notice on load that the old tag is now deprecated. To give users who create their own data some time, that is left in place through one stable release. Even though it tosses out warnings, the tag(s) in question will still work.

                  In the following stable release the tag(s) functionality will be removed from the program and they will no longer function (and you should get warnings on load of this fact).

                  Barak