Re: [pcgen] Re: Advice on how to edit the LST files?

  • Henk Slaaf
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011

      > Well, as he wrote he's using vim at work extensively. I do, too, and I find
      > other editors quite difficult to handle -- no matter how good they are --
      > because they are so different from vim. And there's another point speaking
      > against notepad++: It only runs on windows (or maybe on emulated windows).

      I'll try and start a .vimrc section in SVN for hackers that like to use vim.
      The syntax highlighting needs work and we need mappings to easily work in
      LST files and create a clean diff.

      One of the problems with a lot of current commits is that the diff is very
      large because of the scores of lines where only the whitespace has changed.
      This makes merging very difficult and makes reviewing near-impossble.

      Editing with vertical spacing creates very, very clean diffs and gives us a
      proper reviewing view.

      Thanks,

      Henk

    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
        One thing I do recommend, if you're using vim. Set the tab stop to 6
        characters.
        Now you might think, "that's insane! tabs are eight characters wide da**it!"
        and
        mostly you'd be right. However! all the other data peeps are using 6
        character
        tabs and if you arn't then you can't see how they've lined up the various
        sections
        of their LST files.

        I used to think this didn't matter, then I'd open a LST file and think this
        is a bit
        of a mess. Then I'd set the tab stop to six characters and suddenly it's
        all
        neat and lined up.
        andrew

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011

          Tab spaces are default 8? I wonder why the data standard is set for 6 then.

          All I know it's been that standard for as long as I've been around.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
            On 6 June 2011 12:00, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

            > Tab spaces are default 8? I wonder why the data standard is set for 6
            > then.

            Someone on the original data team is/was a clueless muppet (hopefully
            this wasn't Barak — hi Barak /waves).

            Generally, changing the tab character from 8 spaces is a complete
            no no. In certain quarters the fact that I'm suggesting it here clearly
            labels me a heretic. Next thing you know it be crack whores in the
            street and drive by shootings.

            > All I know it's been that standard for as long as I've been around.

            It also predates me.

            andrew

          • Barak
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011

              ROFL... not this clueless muppet. It predates me as well.

              If I had to guess I'd lay it at Tir's feet (or pehaps Mynex). :P_

              As for why, my bet would be they were trying to cut down on line length but still keep a decent space.

              Barak
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011

                It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
                change a couple of webpages/docs.

                On 6/6/2011 6:25 AM, Barak wrote:
> [...]

              • FerretDave
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
                  Greetings,
                  Yes, familiarity (through work) is the biggie, the other thing is, as you say, vim works anywhere...even on some of the more obscure OS's there's still a copy of 'vi' at least.
                  It probably does boil down to touch typing too - using Vim I rarely take my hands off the keyboard.

                  I did try notepad++, and I think I couldnt get the syntax colouring to work for pcc & lst files, so thought there was no real gain to be had, and moved back.
                  I'll try it again if I can figure the syntax colouring.

                  Cheers
                  Dave
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

                  > > I don't know why the previous poster disagreed with Notepad++ - I find
                  > > it useful for almost all plain-text purposes.
                  >
                  > Well, as he wrote he's using vim at work extensively. I do, too, and I find
                  > other editors quite difficult to handle -- no matter how good they are --
                  > because they are so different from vim. And there's another point speaking
                  > against notepad++: It only runs on windows (or maybe on emulated windows).
                  >
                  > Susan

                • FerretDave
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
                    Greetings,

                    It is (or at least was) common practice to reduce the tabstop to less than 8, to 'save space' in program code - each loop or conditional is indented to make it more readable, and 8 spaces for a tab can be excessive once you've got a lot of nested code. 4 or 6 is fairly common, and I'd guess that the originator of this setting just used the standard that they used for their other code.

                    With list files, there's no reason to use any particular value, we're resigned to having to scroll through the long lines anyway, so I'd vote for putting it back to a standard setting of 8.

                    Cheers

                    > It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
                    > change a couple of webpages/docs.

                  • FerretDave
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
                      Its also advised to actually note any nonstandard tab stops as a comment at the start of the file :-)

                      > It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
                      > change a couple of webpages/docs.
                    • Ainvar G
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 15, 2011
                        Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still normal, to be honest.

                        AinvarG

                        ________________________________
                        > Tab spaces are default 8? I wonder why the data standard is set for 6
                        > then.

                        Someone on the original data team is/was a clueless muppet (hopefully
                        this wasn't Barak — hi Barak /waves).

                        Generally, changing the tab character from 8 spaces is a complete
                        no no. In certain quarters the fact that I'm suggesting it here clearly
                        labels me a heretic. Next thing you know it be crack whores in the
                        street and drive by shootings.

                        > All I know it's been that standard for as long as I've been around.

                        It also predates me.

                        andrew

                      • Susan Dittmar
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 16, 2011
                          Quoting Ainvar G (ainvarg@...):
                          > Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a
                          > tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still
                          > normal, to be honest.

                          Funny. In my keyboarding classes, also pre-computer, a tab was defined by
                          pressing the tab key, which transported the typewriter head to the next
                          tab-stop. According to---if I remember correctly---a DIN (German Industry
                          Norm) the distance of those tab-stops was defined as 8. Which was the same
                          my grandpa's old and wonderful mechanical typewriter had built in.

                          Susan
                        • FerretDave
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 16, 2011
                            Greetings,
                            I'm sure when I learnt to touchtype* my manual typewriter had settable tabstops, you could realign them to any column you required...

                            That's the point I guess, a tab is to line up the text into a 'convenient' position, it certainly wasnt a fixed number globally, and wasnt even a fixed number for each tab on a line! (tab stops set at column 6,20,28,36 & 50 would do your paragraph indent and data into a table)

                            however we probably digress... set tabs at whatever looks good, and just be consistent, and indicate what size you use.

                            *Touchtyping - I'd consider that a prerequisite to 'enjoy' using vi :-) A mouse is unnecessary.

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

                            > Quoting Ainvar G (ainvarg@...):
                            > > Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a
                            > > tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still
                            > > normal, to be honest.
                            >
                            > Funny. In my keyboarding classes, also pre-computer, a tab was defined by
                            > pressing the tab key, which transported the typewriter head to the next
                            > tab-stop. According to---if I remember correctly---a DIN (German Industry
                            > Norm) the distance of those tab-stops was defined as 8. Which was the same
                            > my grandpa's old and wonderful mechanical typewriter had built in.
                            >
                            > Susan

                          • Ainvar G
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 19, 2011
                              Making me think way back now, aren't you?

                              If memory serves, we had two choices of fonts to work with - Elite and Pica. I believe Elite was 12 characters per inch while Pica was 10 cpi.  We generally used Elite.  Thinking back, I don't remember if we were supposed to be setting the tab stops at the half-inch or at 6 characters, but it was effectively the same.

                              But as usual, you are correct - the tabs were defined by the tab stops on the typewriters -- the practice in our coursework happened to work out to be 6 characters, so it's always been the norm in the back of my mind, I guess.

                              And for the record, I'm not knocking vi in any fashion -- I'm not a professional developer, but it's a virtual guarantee that will spend an hour or two using it every day I'm at work. I prefer it to the alternatives that the whippersnappers keep showing me. ;-)