Re: [pcgen] [pathfinder] problems with Animal Companion depending on fle-load order

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2011

      I'm confused - 5.17.6 OOC5. Are you overwriting the 5.17.6 files with the OOC??? Not a good thing,
      since the OOC5 should be the same as 5.17.6.

      Okay, now to address your issue:

      On 6/2/2011 12:25 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
      > PCGen 5.17.6 OOC5, PFRPG, or PFRPG+APG
      >
      > Given a Druid and her Wolf Animal Companion,

      Okay, step 1, loading is good. :)

      > if I load the Druid, and use Inventory \ Resources \ Load..., the Wolf
      > is fine

      Yay. You've done it correctly.

      > if I start again, and load Wolf, he has no Animal Tricks, Companion
      > Level Increase, or Companion Stat Increase

      Correct. Since everything on your wolf is tied to the master, and without a master, he has no power.
      i.e. you are loading a regular wolf at this point (No boosts exist for him, the companion mods are
      NIL). That's like loading the PC without your optional set, and then seeing a warning it doesn't
      have x <insert power, template, item, etc>. You aren't loading the Whole Picture. Companions aren't
      "separate" entities, they are completely tied to the Master Character.

      > if I Update From Master, this does not improve

      Also correct. The Master isn't loaded up, has nothing TO update.

      > if I load Wolf, load Druid, Update From Master, I still have no
      > Companion related matter on the Wolf.

      Weird, but probably correct. I could call this a bug, but only in a loose sense. See, PCs have this
      nice feature in the Inventory/Resources section - Load Companions on load. If you click that, the
      wolf will load up. Otherwise, you need to load your wolf via the Inventory. You might be able to
      load the druid, and then load the wolf separately and have it work. But loading the wolf and then
      the druid is out of order. So, bug, probably for this one step, the rest, sorry, that's actually how
      the program works, as the MASTER i.e. Druid, has all the information and holds the data that makes
      the Wolf the uber Companion s/he should be.

      > Is this (a) a bug or (b) a (mis-)feature of PCGen?

      Wolf and then Druid, maybe. The rest is just the program operating how it's designed.