[pathfinder] problems with Animal Companion depending on fle-load order

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2011
      PCGen 5.17.6 OOC5, PFRPG, or PFRPG+APG

      Given a Druid and her Wolf Animal Companion,

      if I load the Druid, and use Inventory \ Resources \ Load..., the Wolf
      is fine

      if I start again, and load Wolf, he has no Animal Tricks, Companion
      Level Increase, or Companion Stat Increase

      if I Update From Master, this does not improve
      if I load Wolf, load Druid, Update From Master, I still have no
      Companion related matter on the Wolf.

      Is this (a) a bug or (b) a (mis-)feature of PCGen?

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2011
        Hi,

        I'm confused - 5.17.6 OOC5. Are you overwriting the 5.17.6 files with the OOC??? Not a good thing,
        since the OOC5 should be the same as 5.17.6.

        Okay, now to address your issue:

        On 6/2/2011 12:25 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
        > PCGen 5.17.6 OOC5, PFRPG, or PFRPG+APG
        >
        > Given a Druid and her Wolf Animal Companion,

        Okay, step 1, loading is good. :)

        > if I load the Druid, and use Inventory \ Resources \ Load..., the Wolf
        > is fine

        Yay. You've done it correctly.

        > if I start again, and load Wolf, he has no Animal Tricks, Companion
        > Level Increase, or Companion Stat Increase

        Correct. Since everything on your wolf is tied to the master, and without a master, he has no power.
        i.e. you are loading a regular wolf at this point (No boosts exist for him, the companion mods are
        NIL). That's like loading the PC without your optional set, and then seeing a warning it doesn't
        have x <insert power, template, item, etc>. You aren't loading the Whole Picture. Companions aren't
        "separate" entities, they are completely tied to the Master Character.

        > if I Update From Master, this does not improve

        Also correct. The Master isn't loaded up, has nothing TO update.

        > if I load Wolf, load Druid, Update From Master, I still have no
        > Companion related matter on the Wolf.

        Weird, but probably correct. I could call this a bug, but only in a loose sense. See, PCs have this
        nice feature in the Inventory/Resources section - Load Companions on load. If you click that, the
        wolf will load up. Otherwise, you need to load your wolf via the Inventory. You might be able to
        load the druid, and then load the wolf separately and have it work. But loading the wolf and then
        the druid is out of order. So, bug, probably for this one step, the rest, sorry, that's actually how
        the program works, as the MASTER i.e. Druid, has all the information and holds the data that makes
        the Wolf the uber Companion s/he should be.

        > Is this (a) a bug or (b) a (mis-)feature of PCGen?

        Wolf and then Druid, maybe. The rest is just the program operating how it's designed.