Re: Advice on how to edit the LST files?

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 2 8:05 AM
      Greetings,
      I use vim (originally vi), as I use that extensively at work (UNIX support & development) and am quite comfortable with it, installed notepad++ and cant recall offhand why I didnt take to it, ought to give it another go.

      Have to agree about the whole 'vertical' verses 'horizontal' alignment setup, class files use vertical (ish! bit of both really), and they are a heck of a lot easier to edit. Other files (*IF* not too wide) are easy enough to maintain but as soon as they start wrapping a couple of lines it can get tricky.

      Not sure if I'd go to the bother of using a script to transfrom horizontal to vertical (though its easy enough to write), as it adds in an extra step in the editing process, and for minor tweaks would be just too much of an overhead...

      Cheers
      Ferret/Dave oxxxxxxx{;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;>

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Henk Slaaf" <henk@...> wrote:
      > So before I write a whole new toolset: how do you edit the LST files?
      > PPS: For example horizontally aligned fields:
      > Versus vertically aligned fields:
    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 2 8:40 AM
        I also use vim and I tend to wrap just the bit I'm working on, which tends
        to be at the end of the line. I toyed with vim scripts to do the wrap and
        unwrap, but didn't need them enough to finish them.
        andrew
        On 2 June 2011 16:05, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > I use vim (originally vi), as I use that extensively at work (UNIX support
        > & development) and am quite comfortable with it, installed notepad++ and
        > cant recall offhand why I didnt take to it, ought to give it another go.
        >
        > Have to agree about the whole 'vertical' verses 'horizontal' alignment
        > setup, class files use vertical (ish! bit of both really), and they are a
        > heck of a lot easier to edit. Other files (*IF* not too wide) are easy
        > enough to maintain but as soon as they start wrapping a couple of lines it
        > can get tricky.
        >
        > Not sure if I'd go to the bother of using a script to transfrom horizontal
        > to vertical (though its easy enough to write), as it adds in an extra step
        > in the editing process, and for minor tweaks would be just too much of an
        > overhead...
        >
        > Cheers
        > Ferret/Dave oxxxxxxx{;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;>
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Henk Slaaf" <henk@...> wrote:
        > > So before I write a whole new toolset: how do you edit the LST files?
        > > PPS: For example horizontally aligned fields:
        > > Versus vertically aligned fields:

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
        > PCGen's Online Docs:
        > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
        >
        > PCGen List File Help:

      • Henk Slaaf
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2 11:34 AM

          > I use vim (originally vi), as I use that extensively at work (UNIX support
          > & development) and am quite comfortable with it, installed notepad++ and
          > cant recall offhand why I didnt take to it, ought to give it another go.

          I developed these mappings to map horizontal alignment to vertical alignment
          (F2) and back (F3) in vim.

          ; Press F2 when opening a file, press F3 before saving the file.

          ; Do not press F2 more than once. Add comments, but always use two newlines,
          > two before the comment line, two after.

          nmap <F2> :%!perl -p -e 's/\n/\n\n/g; s/\t+/\n\t/g;'<CR>
          > nmap <F3> :%!perl -e 'undef $/; my $lst = <>; $lst =~ s/\n(?\!\n)//gsm;
          > $lst =~ s/\n\n/\n/g; print $lst'<CR>

          This works, but loses the number of tabs between the lines. This is not a
          problem of you run prettylst.pl in between commits. This ensures a terse
          diff, but would add a large diff if commits are made that do not use
          prettylst.

          Thanks,

          Henk

        • Saxum Caribetum
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2 11:59 AM
            On 02/06/2011 19:34, Henk Slaaf wrote:
            >> I use vim (originally vi), as I use that extensively at work (UNIX support
            >> & development) and am quite comfortable with it, installed notepad++ and
            >> cant recall offhand why I didnt take to it, ought to give it another go.
            >>
            > I developed these mappings to map horizontal alignment to vertical alignment
            > (F2) and back (F3) in vim.
            >
            > ; Press F2 when opening a file, press F3 before saving the file.
            >
            > ; Do not press F2 more than once. Add comments, but always use two newlines,
            >> two before the comment line, two after.
            > nmap<F2> :%!perl -p -e 's/\n/\n\n/g; s/\t+/\n\t/g;'<CR>
            >> nmap<F3> :%!perl -e 'undef $/; my $lst =<>; $lst =~ s/\n(?\!\n)//gsm;
            >> $lst =~ s/\n\n/\n/g; print $lst'<CR>
            >
            > This works, but loses the number of tabs between the lines. This is not a
            > problem of you run prettylst.pl in between commits. This ensures a terse
            > diff, but would add a large diff if commits are made that do not use
            > prettylst.
            >

            > Thanks,
            >
            > Henk

            Urk.
            for the rest of us, especially those on Windows, I would recommend the
            splendid NOTEPAD++ program, also free, which additionally has a
            syntax-colouring add-on for LST files, which makes editing them so much
            easier.

            http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

            It also has the benefit of having no trace of heritage from Vi, which I
            am afraid, I must admit to not liking.
            I don't know why the previous poster disagreed with Notepad++ - I find
            it useful for almost all plain-text purposes.

            --
            Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
          • Susan Dittmar
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 6 12:48 AM
              > I don't know why the previous poster disagreed with Notepad++ - I find
              > it useful for almost all plain-text purposes.

              Well, as he wrote he's using vim at work extensively. I do, too, and I find
              other editors quite difficult to handle -- no matter how good they are --
              because they are so different from vim. And there's another point speaking
              against notepad++: It only runs on windows (or maybe on emulated windows).

              Susan
            • Henk Slaaf
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 6 1:04 AM

                > Well, as he wrote he's using vim at work extensively. I do, too, and I find
                > other editors quite difficult to handle -- no matter how good they are --
                > because they are so different from vim. And there's another point speaking
                > against notepad++: It only runs on windows (or maybe on emulated windows).

                I'll try and start a .vimrc section in SVN for hackers that like to use vim.
                The syntax highlighting needs work and we need mappings to easily work in
                LST files and create a clean diff.

                One of the problems with a lot of current commits is that the diff is very
                large because of the scores of lines where only the whitespace has changed.
                This makes merging very difficult and makes reviewing near-impossble.

                Editing with vertical spacing creates very, very clean diffs and gives us a
                proper reviewing view.

                Thanks,

                Henk

              • Andrew Wilson
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 6 3:54 AM
                  One thing I do recommend, if you're using vim. Set the tab stop to 6
                  characters.
                  Now you might think, "that's insane! tabs are eight characters wide da**it!"
                  and
                  mostly you'd be right. However! all the other data peeps are using 6
                  character
                  tabs and if you arn't then you can't see how they've lined up the various
                  sections
                  of their LST files.

                  I used to think this didn't matter, then I'd open a LST file and think this
                  is a bit
                  of a mess. Then I'd set the tab stop to six characters and suddenly it's
                  all
                  neat and lined up.
                  andrew

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 6 4:00 AM

                    Tab spaces are default 8? I wonder why the data standard is set for 6 then.

                    All I know it's been that standard for as long as I've been around.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 6 4:27 AM
                      On 6 June 2011 12:00, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

                      > Tab spaces are default 8? I wonder why the data standard is set for 6
                      > then.

                      Someone on the original data team is/was a clueless muppet (hopefully
                      this wasn't Barak — hi Barak /waves).

                      Generally, changing the tab character from 8 spaces is a complete
                      no no. In certain quarters the fact that I'm suggesting it here clearly
                      labels me a heretic. Next thing you know it be crack whores in the
                      street and drive by shootings.

                      > All I know it's been that standard for as long as I've been around.

                      It also predates me.

                      andrew

                    • Barak
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 6 6:25 AM

                        ROFL... not this clueless muppet. It predates me as well.

                        If I had to guess I'd lay it at Tir's feet (or pehaps Mynex). :P_

                        As for why, my bet would be they were trying to cut down on line length but still keep a decent space.

                        Barak
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 6 8:54 AM

                          It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
                          change a couple of webpages/docs.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 6 11:47 AM
                            Greetings,
                            Yes, familiarity (through work) is the biggie, the other thing is, as you say, vim works anywhere...even on some of the more obscure OS's there's still a copy of 'vi' at least.
                            It probably does boil down to touch typing too - using Vim I rarely take my hands off the keyboard.

                            I did try notepad++, and I think I couldnt get the syntax colouring to work for pcc & lst files, so thought there was no real gain to be had, and moved back.
                            I'll try it again if I can figure the syntax colouring.

                            Cheers
                            Dave
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

                            > > I don't know why the previous poster disagreed with Notepad++ - I find
                            > > it useful for almost all plain-text purposes.
                            >
                            > Well, as he wrote he's using vim at work extensively. I do, too, and I find
                            > other editors quite difficult to handle -- no matter how good they are --
                            > because they are so different from vim. And there's another point speaking
                            > against notepad++: It only runs on windows (or maybe on emulated windows).
                            >
                            > Susan

                          • FerretDave
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 6 11:52 AM
                              Greetings,

                              It is (or at least was) common practice to reduce the tabstop to less than 8, to 'save space' in program code - each loop or conditional is indented to make it more readable, and 8 spaces for a tab can be excessive once you've got a lot of nested code. 4 or 6 is fairly common, and I'd guess that the originator of this setting just used the standard that they used for their other code.

                              With list files, there's no reason to use any particular value, we're resigned to having to scroll through the long lines anyway, so I'd vote for putting it back to a standard setting of 8.

                              Cheers

                              > It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
                              > change a couple of webpages/docs.

                            • FerretDave
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 6 11:54 AM
                                Its also advised to actually note any nonstandard tab stops as a comment at the start of the file :-)

                                > It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
                                > change a couple of webpages/docs.
                              • Ainvar G
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 15 10:40 AM
                                  Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still normal, to be honest.

                                  AinvarG

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 16 1:38 AM
                                    Quoting Ainvar G (ainvarg@...):
                                    > Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a
                                    > tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still
                                    > normal, to be honest.

                                    Funny. In my keyboarding classes, also pre-computer, a tab was defined by
                                    pressing the tab key, which transported the typewriter head to the next
                                    tab-stop. According to---if I remember correctly---a DIN (German Industry
                                    Norm) the distance of those tab-stops was defined as 8. Which was the same
                                    my grandpa's old and wonderful mechanical typewriter had built in.

                                    Susan
                                  • FerretDave
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 16 3:15 PM
                                      Greetings,
                                      I'm sure when I learnt to touchtype* my manual typewriter had settable tabstops, you could realign them to any column you required...

                                      That's the point I guess, a tab is to line up the text into a 'convenient' position, it certainly wasnt a fixed number globally, and wasnt even a fixed number for each tab on a line! (tab stops set at column 6,20,28,36 & 50 would do your paragraph indent and data into a table)

                                      however we probably digress... set tabs at whatever looks good, and just be consistent, and indicate what size you use.

                                      *Touchtyping - I'd consider that a prerequisite to 'enjoy' using vi :-) A mouse is unnecessary.

                                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

                                      > Quoting Ainvar G (ainvarg@...):
                                      > > Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a
                                      > > tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still
                                      > > normal, to be honest.
                                      >
                                      > Funny. In my keyboarding classes, also pre-computer, a tab was defined by
                                      > pressing the tab key, which transported the typewriter head to the next
                                      > tab-stop. According to---if I remember correctly---a DIN (German Industry
                                      > Norm) the distance of those tab-stops was defined as 8. Which was the same
                                      > my grandpa's old and wonderful mechanical typewriter had built in.
                                      >
                                      > Susan

                                    • Ainvar G
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 19 7:53 PM
                                        Making me think way back now, aren't you?

                                        If memory serves, we had two choices of fonts to work with - Elite and Pica. I believe Elite was 12 characters per inch while Pica was 10 cpi.  We generally used Elite.  Thinking back, I don't remember if we were supposed to be setting the tab stops at the half-inch or at 6 characters, but it was effectively the same.

                                        But as usual, you are correct - the tabs were defined by the tab stops on the typewriters -- the practice in our coursework happened to work out to be 6 characters, so it's always been the norm in the back of my mind, I guess.

                                        And for the record, I'm not knocking vi in any fashion -- I'm not a professional developer, but it's a virtual guarantee that will spend an hour or two using it every day I'm at work. I prefer it to the alternatives that the whippersnappers keep showing me. ;-)