PCGen 5.17.7 (Alpha) Released

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 17 , May 28, 2011
      PCGen 5.17.7 (Alpha) marks the PCGen team's shift of focus to the next
      developmental cycle. Download your free copy here:

      http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Unstable/5.17.7%20Alpha/

      One of the primary goals for this cycle (5.17.x/6.0) includes the
      completion of 'under-the-hood' architectural changes begun in 5.14.x and
      continued through 5.16.x. These changes, though for the most part
      invisible to the user, will make way for some long needed changes in the
      user experience as work begins on overhauling the User Interface and the
      LST Editors. Another benefit of the changes underway as part of this
      development cycle will be a furthering of PCGen's flexibility when
      working with the d20 rules system, but will in the end, also make it
      easier to adapt PCGen to the myriad rules system used throughout the
      gaming industry.

      You can see all of the changes included in this release by checking out
      the release notes:

      http://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/installers/release-notes/pcgen-release-notes-5177.html

      PCGen is an RPG character generator and maintenance program (d20
      systems). All datafiles are ASCII text files so they can be modified by
      users for their own campaigns. For more information about PCGen, join us
      at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/ or visit our website at
      http://pcgen.sourceforge.net and wiki at http://wiki.pcgen.org/.

      This software uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo
      Publishing, LLC, which are used under Paizo's Community Use Policy. We
      are expressly prohibited from charging you to use or access this
      content. This software is not published, endorsed, or specifically
      approved by Paizo Publishing. For more information about Paizo's
      Community Use Policy, please visit paizo.com/communityuse , the
      Community Use page. For more information about Paizo Publishing and
      Paizo products, please visit Paizo.Com.
      --

      -- david
      Papa.DRB

      My better half and me (jpg)

    • FerretDave
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 12, 2011
        Greetings,

        The warnings on source load don't indicate which source file the deprecated code was found in though... which would be nice.

        I guess however that the converter (when its updated for release? or is it already updated? Haven't tried it yet) will take care of those issues itself, so we don't need to be concerned?

        I can turn off the warnings for now at least, to make it easier to find the actual faults in my homebrew, though I'd need to remember to switch that option back on once I have updated, in case I inadvertently add in new code in the deprecated style.

        Almost want the option to be 'suppress deprecated code warnings only until this version becomes the release version'

        Cheers

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
          starting up 5.17.7 (RSRD + homebrew) from a batch file to increase max mem, using:
          java -Dswing.aatext=true -Xms768m -Xmx768m -jar pcgen.ja
          I get the following when exporting to PDF, should I be concerned?
          using OS d20\fantasy\pdf\csheet_fantasy_std.xslt

          14:35:59.625 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 InfoEquipping:1721 Could not add equipment:
          Club.
          Check loaded campaigns.
          14:36:12.218 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 InfoEquipping:1721 Could not add equipment:
          Mirror (Small/Steel).
          Check loaded campaigns.
          14:38:13.765 SEVERE Thread-55 GameMode:2114 Attempt to fetch AbilityCategory: Natural Attack... but it does not exist
          Memory: 760,256Kb total, 534,767.242Kb free, 760,256Kb max.
          Memory: 760,256Kb total, 641,291.203Kb free, 760,256Kb max.
          [WARNING] Screen logger not set - Using ConsoleLogger.
          [INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
          Fop Version: FOP 0.20.5
          [ERROR] Logger not set
          [INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
          file:/D:/utils/PCGen/PCGen5177/outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.x
          slt; Line #245; Column #16; Number of weapons on first page = 3
          file:/D:/utils/PCGen/PCGen5177/outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.x
          slt; Line #246; Column #16; Number of skills on first page = 53
          [INFO] building formatting object tree
          [INFO] setting up fonts
          [INFO] [1]
          [INFO] area contents overflows area in line EQUIPPED
          [INFO] area contents overflows area in line
          [INFO] area contents overflows area in line
          [INFO] area contents overflows area in line
          [INFO] area contents overflows area in line
          [INFO] area contents overflows area in line ARCANE
          [INFO] area contents overflows area in line
          [INFO] area contents overflows area in line
          [INFO] area contents overflows area in line
          [INFO] area contents overflows area in line
          [INFO] [2]
          [INFO] [3]
          [WARNING] Sum of fixed column widths 547081 greater than maximum specified IPD 5
          38583
          [INFO] [4]
          [WARNING] Sum of fixed column widths 547081 greater than maximum specified IPD 5
          38583
          [ERROR] At least one of minimum, optimum, or maximum IPD must be specified on ta
          ble.
          [INFO] [5]
          [INFO] Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer
          Memory: 760,256Kb total, 504,714.477Kb free, 760,256Kb max.
          Memory: 760,256Kb total, 632,475.625Kb free, 760,256Kb max.

          Cheers
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011

            I'm not sure about the "club" or "Mirror (Small/Steel)" but your lack of the Natural Attack
            AbilityCategory is fine.

          • FerretDave
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
              Greetings,
              Thanks, not quite 'SEVERE' then :-)

              What's an 'IPD' just for interests sake, and as my PDF looks ok, I guess its not really a warning either?

              5.17.7 does seem a lot faster, liking it lots :-)

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011

                IPD not sure, but it does seem to be some sort of unit of measurement.

                The Missing Equipment Error means you're loading the character, but the set(s) loaded don't contain
                those pieces of equipment.

                AS far as the program is concerned those are very severe problems.

                Glad you like the improved speed.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
                  Greetings,
                  Odd on that equipment, after a restart, the error no longer appears... and this was with a newly created character & same datasets loaded in each time, and that's equipment straight from the RSRD... cant recreate the issue, so wont worry.

                  While trying to recreate it though, created a new character, exported it ok (before saving) then saved and exported again, on this second export I got:

                  Memory: 760,256Kb total, 645,100.25Kb free, 760,256Kb max.
                  16:44:33.93 SEVERE Thread-17 GameMode:2114 Attempt to fetch AbilityCategory: Nat
                  ural Attack... but it does not exist
                  16:44:33.93 SEVERE Thread-17 ExportHandler:1978 Error replacing ABILITYALL.Natur
                  al Attack.%NaturalAttack.TYPE=NaturalAttack.HASASPECT.NaturalAttackName
                  java.lang.NullPointerException
                  at pcgen.io.exporttoken.AbilityToken.getTokenForCategory(AbilityToken.ja
                  va:159)
                  at pcgen.io.exporttoken.AbilityToken.getToken(AbilityToken.java:134)
                  at plugin.exporttokens.AbilityAllToken.getToken(AbilityAllToken.java:67)

                  at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.replaceToken(ExportHandler.java:1945)
                  at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.evaluateExpression(ExportHandler.java:697)
                  at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.evaluateIIF(ExportHandler.java:848)
                  at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.processLoop(ExportHandler.java:1033)
                  at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.loopFOR(ExportHandler.java:970)
                  at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.write(ExportHandler.java:240)
                  at pcgen.gui.MainPrint.printToXMLFile(MainPrint.java:768)
                  at pcgen.gui.MainPrint.export(MainPrint.java:339)
                  at pcgen.gui.MainPrint.access$500(MainPrint.java:58)
                  at pcgen.gui.MainPrint$ButtonListener$1.run(MainPrint.java:813)
                  at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

                  Memory: 760,256Kb total, 567,436Kb free, 760,256Kb max.

                  Not sure if that helps.
                  Cheers
                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
                    Greetings,
                    (5.17.7 RSRD + homebrew)

                    I've added some spell books onto my character - books I've found along the way, and have just noticed that the printout of these shows just the spell name, and the DC.
                    I guess that the DC is shown so if I decide to cast the spell direct from the book, as if it were a scroll, then the DC is calculated already? Following that through, would it not make sense to also show the spell description, range etc. so we've got all the details to hand?

                    I also however appreciate its a nice shorthand for a quick listing of spells, perhaps an option to display one or the other?

                    Either way, the current format could do with a wider column, some of the spells ('comprehend languages' for example) wraps onto two lines, and that's a bit odd considering the unused white space on either side.
                    The 'Innate' section lists spells similarly, but uses different alignment, would be nice if they all lined up :-)

                    Lastly, these spellbooks flag up which spells are domain spells, could it also flag which ones are prohibited too?

                    Logged as OS-79 (spellbook display too narrow), OS-80 (add spell desc to spellbooks), OS-81 (add 'prohibited' flag to spells as per 'specialised school' asterisk).

                    Cheers

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011

                      Interesting, I'll need to add that abilitycategory in then. It's part of a workaround fix for Animal
                      Companions. Something I wasn't wanting to rush into.

                      Either that or yank out the code till I'm ready for that push... I'll have to see if we can't handle
                      that issue gracefully with James though. We shouldn't be throwing NPEs in the OS for that sort of thing.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011

                        Uh new thread? Looks like you're replying to the Alpha release, has the same subject and
                        everything... tsk tsk.

                        On 6/13/2011 12:44 PM, FerretDave wrote:
                        > Greetings,
                        > (5.17.7 RSRD + homebrew)
                        >
                        > I've added some spell books onto my character - books I've found along the way, and have just noticed that the printout of these shows just the spell name, and the DC.
                        > I guess that the DC is shown so if I decide to cast the spell direct from the book, as if it were a scroll, then the DC is calculated already? Following that through, would it not make sense to also show the spell description, range etc. so we've got all the details to hand?
                        >
                        > I also however appreciate its a nice shorthand for a quick listing of spells, perhaps an option to display one or the other?

                        As the only really active OS monkey, and I'm a lemur at that, I can say these things ARE NOT easy.

                        We have a spellbook list to show what spells are kept in your spell books, and which book at that.
                        The DC is being nice I suppose. ALL your spells full descriptions are on the character sheet proper.
                        Having it each location is going to be a HUGE character sheet output. I have character sheets
                        upwards of 27 pages, adding more spell descriptions would easily double that number.

                        > Either way, the current format could do with a wider column, some of the spells ('comprehend languages' for example) wraps onto two lines, and that's a bit odd considering the unused white space on either side.
                        > The 'Innate' section lists spells similarly, but uses different alignment, would be nice if they all lined up :-)

                        Fixing widths, I can manage that. Upload a sample of the offending pdf or a picture so I know what
                        I'm looking at doing.

                        > Lastly, these spellbooks flag up which spells are domain spells, could it also flag which ones are prohibited too?

                        > Logged as OS-79 (spellbook display too narrow), OS-80 (add spell desc to spellbooks), OS-81 (add 'prohibited' flag to spells as per 'specialised school' asterisk).

                        OS-79 - I can fix that, not an issue
                        OS-80 - Why? All those spells should be on the character already, do you really want that much
                        duplication? Or is there a weird corner case I should be aware of?
                        OS-81 - Specialists shouldn't be able to add prohibited spells to their spell list. Since that's the
                        case, why would we need to mark spells they can't even have? (if the character is set up correctly
                        and you aren't fiddling with the preferences, you shouldn't be able/allowed to take prohibited
                        spells, so that's a moot point in my mind. Do you often allow your characters to learn
                        forbidden/prohibited spells?)

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
                          Greetings,
                          Same thread - yeah, erm, was thinking it was all 5.17.7 related as I've just upgraded to that and erm, sorry, would be better with different title.

                          >ALL your spells full descriptions are on the character sheet proper.

                          (far from a weird corner case I'm afraid!)
                          This is the thing, only my 'known' spells are listed earlier, and fully described, these additional spell books are ones I've only just found, and contain not only spells I haven't learnt yet, but also some prohibited spells that I cannot learn.
                          I'm carrying the books with me to peruse and learn the new spells over time, some of the spells are duplicates, some are new, and others are prohibited, and will remain in the book when I've finished with it.

                          So while the book may contain a duplicate of a spell I already know, and the desc of that is duplication, the new spells that I have yet to learn & copy into my own spell book, those are the ones that I dont have a desc for, and a 'prohibited' flag would help prevent me trying to cast one as a scroll...

                          I've uploaded 'Mook.pdf' to the files section, and I added another spell book with some 9th level spells (I'm only 2nd level!) to show the reasoning. (page 6)
                          Ironically, with the higher levels in there, and various levels of spells, I can see the reasons for the widths being as they are, but for my lowly first level spell books, well, they're a minor speck in a page of whiteness...

                          Cheers
                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
                            I'll just say it now ---- UGH.

                            I wouldn't know where to begin to contain that to "captured" spell books. It'd be an all or nothing
                            endeavor. On top of that, UGH, trying to determine the proper code to catch prohibited spells is not
                            an easy thing.

                            This is something I'll have to see if Stefan has some underlying code I can cheat off of, otherwise,
                            this one is on the back burner of priorities in the OS Feature Request list.

                          • James Dempsey
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011

                              The captured spellbook was a use case that I looked at as part of the
                              spell UI revamp some years ago. It is supported but not in a
                              comprehensive way. I've also had captured spellbooks on characters before.

                              I don't think that currently the output system has anything to identify
                              a spellbook as captured and use different rules. So the DC shown is the
                              resist DC for the spell, not the DC to learn the spell IIRC.

                              The main uses cases of prepared spell lists and personal spell books
                              would cover 95% or more of usage and the captured spell books the
                              remaining 5% or less. IMO the suggested enhancements would be to the
                              detriment of those main use cases (extra output etc) and may not be
                              sensible to proceed with.

                              Cheers,
                              James.

                              On 14/06/2011 8:52 AM Andrew wrote

                            • FerretDave
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 14, 2011
                                Greetings,
                                Fully appreciate that the current method works better for most people, this certainly isnt a major requirement.

                                >DC to learn the spell
                                Hadn't even considered that, another 'nice to have' :-)

                                From the spells page itself, there are options to output spells (only to html though?), perhaps that is the best way to initiate output of an alternative style for a captured book? Leave the character OS as-is (just the names), and have an output option from the GUI spells tab to use the alternative format(s) ?

                                Leaves the OS unchanged (apart from the 'prohibited' flag), and just needs the code to call the OS with the spell book data?

                                Sorry, not intentionally trying to make life difficult for anyone, I'm happy with workarounds and if this is awkward to do then I'm happy for it to be left.

                                You've done too good a job previously and made me believe you can deliver anything now, which is why I keep asking for more :-)

                                Cheers
                                Dave

> [...]
                                > >>
                                > >> So while the book may contain a duplicate of a spell I already know, and the desc of that is duplication, the new spells that I have yet to learn& copy into my own spell book, those are the ones that I dont have a desc for, and a 'prohibited' flag would help prevent me trying to cast one as a scroll...
                                > >>
                                > >> I've uploaded 'Mook.pdf' to the files section, and I added another spell book with some 9th level spells (I'm only 2nd level!) to show the reasoning. (page 6)
                                > >> Ironically, with the higher levels in there, and various levels of spells, I can see the reasons for the widths being as they are, but for my lowly first level spell books, well, they're a minor speck in a page of whiteness...

                              • James Dempsey
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 14, 2011
                                  Hi Dave,

                                  Having a specific spellbook sheet for this is a great idea.

                                  Cheers,
                                  James.

                                  On 14/06/2011 10:03 PM FerretDave wrote

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 14, 2011
                                    The issue with the new OS Sheet -
                                    Requires Code to create a new tag for "Learn DC" and an Export Token for "Learn DC" which means
                                    collaboration with Content for the syntax;
                                    Requires a New Export for Flagging of Prohibited Schools by Code
                                    That's before OS can even consider implementing this portion of the request.

                                    Time Line - To be completely honest, unless another java coder comes forward and volunteers, I don't
                                    see this as happening in the next two years. Learn DC for spells is pretty standardized - you'll be
                                    more likely to get a prohibited export first.

                                    Now, onto the less depressing news - It's not hard to set up an Export for Spell Books, fixing the
                                    column widths or including the full text of the spell. That I can reasonably do. The rest of the
                                    request (see above) is up to a volunteer with free time, the knowledge of the code base and an
                                    eagerness to do it. And yes, I'll add my voice to James that having a separate sheet for this is a
                                    great idea.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 14, 2011
                                      All fine with me, blame James for the learn DC :-) that can be dropped.

                                      Fully agree to a separate sheet for this.