Re: [pcgen] Oracle Mysteries and Channeling

    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2011
      Hi,

      SIDE NOTE: I'm dealing with a death in the family, so my responses are going to be understandably
      delayed.

      Having Vars in the Core that are defined in another set is "usually" frowned upon. The better method
      is to .MOD the abilities. There are exceptions to every rule, but that is the defacto standard we
      try to adhere too.

      The Core you'll see is set up with generics, APG accesses these generics. In some cases, items will
      be duplicated. We try to avoid this, but in some cases it can't be avoided.

      So, if you have a set that needs to alter core stuff, try making a .MOD, and alter the PRExxx via
      the established methods.

      Cheers,

      On 5/27/2011 2:56 PM, Henk Slaaf wrote:
      > Hello!
      >

      > I've added correct support for the Oracle's Life Mystery to APG, however, it required me to add a few of the APG variables to Core.
      >
      > I added Channel ~ Life Mystery as a prerequisite to a couple of feats, Channel Smite for example. See revision 15034.
      >
      > Is this how it is usually done? The advantage of this solution is that it is simple and uncomplicated. The backdraw is that we pollute core with variables that are defined in other list files.
      >

      > Any advice? Andrew?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Henk

      > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

    • Henk Slaaf
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2011
        > SIDE NOTE: I'm dealing with a death in the family, so my responses are going to be understandably
        > delayed.

        Of course. My condolences.

        > Having Vars in the Core that are defined in another set is "usually" frowned upon. The better method
        > is to .MOD the abilities. There are exceptions to every rule, but that is the defacto standard we
        > try to adhere too.

        Yes, I understand. I was wrestling with a subtle way to implement this, but could find one. Maybe I'll implement a Channel Positive/Negative Energy ~ Base ability that does nothing, but allows us to grant it from a couple of places.

        By the way: PREABILITY:CATEGORY:Special Ability,TYPE.ChannelEnergy seemed like an elegant solution, but did not seem to work.

        Can you select on types? If so, how does it work? This was not entirely clear to me from the docs.

        Thanks,

        Henk
      • Stefan Radermacher
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2011
          Hank, I've got a solution for the Oracle channel that won't require
          changes to the core. I'm straightening out some merge conflicts on my
          APG set, but I hope I can contribute that later today.

          Stefan.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2011
            Kk. I committed a few changes to core, though.

            Please do make sure that the abilities do NOT stack.

            An evil life Oracle/Cleric should be able to channel both positive and
            negative energy, see my comments in the source.

            Met vriendelijke groet,

            Allard

          • Henk Slaaf
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2011
              Ah,

              I found a nice solution. I can use the SERVEAS tag in many places to achieve
              my goal :)

              Thanks,

              Henk