Re: [pcgen] Advice on how to edit the LST files?

  • Terry Milnes
    Message 1 of 22 , May 27, 2011
      I prefer the Horizontal alignment using Notepad++(which works great in
      WINE). Just set the tab stops to 6 and I can normally go down the column
      looking for anything out of place. My problem is some files do not align to
      the 6 space tab stop or when you have multiple groups and each group does
      not have the exact columns as the others. This throws off the columns.
      Personally, I wish there was a program that automatically standardized the
      info so you could import it into say Excel so each column lines up
      perfectly.

      Message 2 of 22 , May 27, 2011

        Depends on what I'm trying to do, I do wordwrap if I need to see a complete whole. When I'm
        beginning a lst file, I do indented Tab Space on each line to verify everything is good, and when
        I'm done, I do advanced Find/Replace to line it all up.

        PrettyLST is handy to line things up, since I tend to do Bulk Editing, all Ability Files tend to be
        identical with category and type, so keeping everything lined up help catches any minor mistakes.

        And then if I'm doing pinpoint editing, I use the Find Option.

        The tools the monkeys use are in the utilities folder, if you have a contribution, feel free to add it.

        On 5/27/2011 9:14 AM, Henk Slaaf wrote:
        > Hey fellow data monkeys,
        >

        > I've spent some time editing the LST files. My experience is that this is pretty tedious because of the horizontal alignment of the lines. Especially when prettylist has been used, the lines are very long and it is difficult to get an overview.
        >
        > Having a vertical alignment of the fields is much easier to read and edit, so I've written a couple of scripts that prepare the LST files for easy editting, but I'm sure you guys have invented those wheels long before I did.
        >
        > So before I write a whole new toolset: how do you edit the LST files?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Henk
        >
        > PS: I am on Linux
        >
        > PPS: For example horizontally aligned fields:
        >
        > Alignment Channel TYPE:General.AttackOption PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Channel Energy DESC:You can channel your divine energy to harm or heal outsiders that possess your chosen alignment subtype. STACK:NO MULT:YES
        >
        > Versus vertically aligned fields:
        >
        > Alignment Channel
        > TYPE:General.AttackOption
        > PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Channel Energy
        > DESC:You can channel your divine energy to harm or heal outsiders that possess your chosen alignment subtype.
        > STACK:NO
        > MULT:YES
        > CHOOSE:STRING|Chaos|Evil|Good|Law
        > SOURCEPAGE:p.117

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • Ricky
        Message 3 of 22 , May 31, 2011
          I'm using OpenOffice's Calc (both on windows and ubuntu) to edit lst files. and then when i need prettylst just don't write the "modified" files, but look on the generated messages..

          Ricky
          (ICQ:158244154) (Y!m:iainuki) (MSN:iainuki4)

          ### the truth is in the eye of the beholder ###

          ________________________________
          Depends on what I'm trying to do, I do wordwrap if I need to see a complete whole. When I'm
          beginning a lst file, I do indented Tab Space on each line to verify everything is good, and when
          I'm done, I do advanced Find/Replace to line it all up.

          PrettyLST is handy to line things up, since I tend to do Bulk Editing, all Ability Files tend to be
          identical with category and type, so keeping everything lined up help catches any minor mistakes.

          And then if I'm doing pinpoint editing, I use the Find Option.

          The tools the monkeys use are in the utilities folder, if you have a contribution, feel free to add it.

          On 5/27/2011 9:14 AM, Henk Slaaf wrote:
          > Hey fellow data monkeys,
          >

          > I've spent some time editing the LST files. My experience is that this is pretty tedious because of the horizontal alignment of the lines. Especially when prettylist has been used, the lines are very long and it is difficult to get an overview.
          >
          > Having a vertical alignment of the fields is much easier to read and edit, so I've written a couple of scripts that prepare the LST files for easy editting, but I'm sure you guys have invented those wheels long before I did.
          >
          > So before I write a whole new toolset: how do you edit the LST files?
          >

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Henk
          >
          > PS: I am on Linux
          >
          > PPS: For example horizontally aligned fields:
          >
          > Alignment Channel                TYPE:General.AttackOption      PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Channel Energy                  DESC:You can channel your divine energy to harm or heal outsiders that possess your chosen alignment subtype.          STACK:NO    MULT:YES
          >
          > Versus vertically aligned fields:
          >
          > Alignment Channel
          >        TYPE:General.AttackOption
          >        PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Channel Energy
          >        DESC:You can channel your divine energy to harm or heal outsiders that possess your chosen alignment subtype.
          >        STACK:NO
          >        MULT:YES
          >        CHOOSE:STRING|Chaos|Evil|Good|Law
          >        SOURCEPAGE:p.117

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          ------------------------------------

          Related Lists
          PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2011
            Greetings,
            I use vim (originally vi), as I use that extensively at work (UNIX support & development) and am quite comfortable with it, installed notepad++ and cant recall offhand why I didnt take to it, ought to give it another go.

            Have to agree about the whole 'vertical' verses 'horizontal' alignment setup, class files use vertical (ish! bit of both really), and they are a heck of a lot easier to edit. Other files (*IF* not too wide) are easy enough to maintain but as soon as they start wrapping a couple of lines it can get tricky.

            Not sure if I'd go to the bother of using a script to transfrom horizontal to vertical (though its easy enough to write), as it adds in an extra step in the editing process, and for minor tweaks would be just too much of an overhead...

            Cheers
            Ferret/Dave oxxxxxxx{;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;>

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Henk Slaaf" <henk@...> wrote:
            > So before I write a whole new toolset: how do you edit the LST files?
            > PPS: For example horizontally aligned fields:
            > Versus vertically aligned fields:
          • Andrew Wilson
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 2, 2011
              I also use vim and I tend to wrap just the bit I'm working on, which tends
              to be at the end of the line. I toyed with vim scripts to do the wrap and
              unwrap, but didn't need them enough to finish them.
              andrew
              On 2 June 2011 16:05, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

              > Greetings,
              > I use vim (originally vi), as I use that extensively at work (UNIX support
              > & development) and am quite comfortable with it, installed notepad++ and
              > cant recall offhand why I didnt take to it, ought to give it another go.
              >
              > Have to agree about the whole 'vertical' verses 'horizontal' alignment
              > setup, class files use vertical (ish! bit of both really), and they are a
              > heck of a lot easier to edit. Other files (*IF* not too wide) are easy
              > enough to maintain but as soon as they start wrapping a couple of lines it
              > can get tricky.
              >
              > Not sure if I'd go to the bother of using a script to transfrom horizontal
              > to vertical (though its easy enough to write), as it adds in an extra step
              > in the editing process, and for minor tweaks would be just too much of an
              > overhead...
              >
              > Cheers
              > Ferret/Dave oxxxxxxx{;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;>
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Henk Slaaf" <henk@...> wrote:
              > > So before I write a whole new toolset: how do you edit the LST files?
              > > PPS: For example horizontally aligned fields:
              > > Versus vertically aligned fields:

              > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
              > PCGen's Online Docs:
              > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
              >
              > PCGen List File Help:

            • Henk Slaaf
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 2, 2011

                > I use vim (originally vi), as I use that extensively at work (UNIX support
                > & development) and am quite comfortable with it, installed notepad++ and
                > cant recall offhand why I didnt take to it, ought to give it another go.

                I developed these mappings to map horizontal alignment to vertical alignment
                (F2) and back (F3) in vim.

                ; Press F2 when opening a file, press F3 before saving the file.

                ; Do not press F2 more than once. Add comments, but always use two newlines,
                > two before the comment line, two after.

                nmap <F2> :%!perl -p -e 's/\n/\n\n/g; s/\t+/\n\t/g;'<CR>
                > nmap <F3> :%!perl -e 'undef $/; my $lst = <>; $lst =~ s/\n(?\!\n)//gsm;
                > $lst =~ s/\n\n/\n/g; print $lst'<CR>

                This works, but loses the number of tabs between the lines. This is not a
                problem of you run prettylst.pl in between commits. This ensures a terse
                diff, but would add a large diff if commits are made that do not use
                prettylst.

                Thanks,

                Henk

              • Saxum Caribetum
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 2, 2011
                  On 02/06/2011 19:34, Henk Slaaf wrote:
                  >> I use vim (originally vi), as I use that extensively at work (UNIX support
                  >> & development) and am quite comfortable with it, installed notepad++ and
                  >> cant recall offhand why I didnt take to it, ought to give it another go.
                  >>
                  > I developed these mappings to map horizontal alignment to vertical alignment
                  > (F2) and back (F3) in vim.
                  >
                  > ; Press F2 when opening a file, press F3 before saving the file.
                  >
                  > ; Do not press F2 more than once. Add comments, but always use two newlines,
                  >> two before the comment line, two after.
                  > nmap<F2> :%!perl -p -e 's/\n/\n\n/g; s/\t+/\n\t/g;'<CR>
                  >> nmap<F3> :%!perl -e 'undef $/; my $lst =<>; $lst =~ s/\n(?\!\n)//gsm;
                  >> $lst =~ s/\n\n/\n/g; print $lst'<CR>
                  >
                  > This works, but loses the number of tabs between the lines. This is not a
                  > problem of you run prettylst.pl in between commits. This ensures a terse
                  > diff, but would add a large diff if commits are made that do not use
                  > prettylst.
                  >

                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Henk

                  Urk.
                  for the rest of us, especially those on Windows, I would recommend the
                  splendid NOTEPAD++ program, also free, which additionally has a
                  syntax-colouring add-on for LST files, which makes editing them so much
                  easier.

                  http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

                  It also has the benefit of having no trace of heritage from Vi, which I
                  am afraid, I must admit to not liking.
                  I don't know why the previous poster disagreed with Notepad++ - I find
                  it useful for almost all plain-text purposes.

                  --
                  Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
                • Susan Dittmar
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
                    > I don't know why the previous poster disagreed with Notepad++ - I find
                    > it useful for almost all plain-text purposes.

                    Well, as he wrote he's using vim at work extensively. I do, too, and I find
                    other editors quite difficult to handle -- no matter how good they are --
                    because they are so different from vim. And there's another point speaking
                    against notepad++: It only runs on windows (or maybe on emulated windows).

                    Susan
                  • Henk Slaaf
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011

                      > Well, as he wrote he's using vim at work extensively. I do, too, and I find
                      > other editors quite difficult to handle -- no matter how good they are --
                      > because they are so different from vim. And there's another point speaking
                      > against notepad++: It only runs on windows (or maybe on emulated windows).

                      I'll try and start a .vimrc section in SVN for hackers that like to use vim.
                      The syntax highlighting needs work and we need mappings to easily work in
                      LST files and create a clean diff.

                      One of the problems with a lot of current commits is that the diff is very
                      large because of the scores of lines where only the whitespace has changed.
                      This makes merging very difficult and makes reviewing near-impossble.

                      Editing with vertical spacing creates very, very clean diffs and gives us a
                      proper reviewing view.

                      Thanks,

                      Henk

                    • Andrew Wilson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
                        One thing I do recommend, if you're using vim. Set the tab stop to 6
                        characters.
                        Now you might think, "that's insane! tabs are eight characters wide da**it!"
                        and
                        mostly you'd be right. However! all the other data peeps are using 6
                        character
                        tabs and if you arn't then you can't see how they've lined up the various
                        sections
                        of their LST files.

                        I used to think this didn't matter, then I'd open a LST file and think this
                        is a bit
                        of a mess. Then I'd set the tab stop to six characters and suddenly it's
                        all
                        neat and lined up.
                        andrew

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011

                          Tab spaces are default 8? I wonder why the data standard is set for 6 then.

                          All I know it's been that standard for as long as I've been around.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
                            On 6 June 2011 12:00, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

                            > Tab spaces are default 8? I wonder why the data standard is set for 6
                            > then.

                            Someone on the original data team is/was a clueless muppet (hopefully
                            this wasn't Barak — hi Barak /waves).

                            Generally, changing the tab character from 8 spaces is a complete
                            no no. In certain quarters the fact that I'm suggesting it here clearly
                            labels me a heretic. Next thing you know it be crack whores in the
                            street and drive by shootings.

                            > All I know it's been that standard for as long as I've been around.

                            It also predates me.

                            andrew

                          • Barak
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011

                              ROFL... not this clueless muppet. It predates me as well.

                              If I had to guess I'd lay it at Tir's feet (or pehaps Mynex). :P_

                              As for why, my bet would be they were trying to cut down on line length but still keep a decent space.

                              Barak
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011

                                It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
                                change a couple of webpages/docs.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
                                  Greetings,
                                  Yes, familiarity (through work) is the biggie, the other thing is, as you say, vim works anywhere...even on some of the more obscure OS's there's still a copy of 'vi' at least.
                                  It probably does boil down to touch typing too - using Vim I rarely take my hands off the keyboard.

                                  I did try notepad++, and I think I couldnt get the syntax colouring to work for pcc & lst files, so thought there was no real gain to be had, and moved back.
                                  I'll try it again if I can figure the syntax colouring.

                                  Cheers
                                  Dave
                                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

                                  > > I don't know why the previous poster disagreed with Notepad++ - I find
                                  > > it useful for almost all plain-text purposes.
                                  >
                                  > Well, as he wrote he's using vim at work extensively. I do, too, and I find
                                  > other editors quite difficult to handle -- no matter how good they are --
                                  > because they are so different from vim. And there's another point speaking
                                  > against notepad++: It only runs on windows (or maybe on emulated windows).
                                  >
                                  > Susan

                                • FerretDave
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
                                    Greetings,

                                    It is (or at least was) common practice to reduce the tabstop to less than 8, to 'save space' in program code - each loop or conditional is indented to make it more readable, and 8 spaces for a tab can be excessive once you've got a lot of nested code. 4 or 6 is fairly common, and I'd guess that the originator of this setting just used the standard that they used for their other code.

                                    With list files, there's no reason to use any particular value, we're resigned to having to scroll through the long lines anyway, so I'd vote for putting it back to a standard setting of 8.

                                    Cheers

                                    > It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
                                    > change a couple of webpages/docs.

                                  • FerretDave
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 6, 2011
                                      Its also advised to actually note any nonstandard tab stops as a comment at the start of the file :-)

                                      > It shouldn't be hard to change to 8, if such a thing is heretical. Just need to change prettylst and
                                      > change a couple of webpages/docs.
                                    • Ainvar G
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 15, 2011
                                        Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still normal, to be honest.

                                        AinvarG

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 16, 2011
                                          Quoting Ainvar G (ainvarg@...):
                                          > Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a
                                          > tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still
                                          > normal, to be honest.

                                          Funny. In my keyboarding classes, also pre-computer, a tab was defined by
                                          pressing the tab key, which transported the typewriter head to the next
                                          tab-stop. According to---if I remember correctly---a DIN (German Industry
                                          Norm) the distance of those tab-stops was defined as 8. Which was the same
                                          my grandpa's old and wonderful mechanical typewriter had built in.

                                          Susan
                                        • FerretDave
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 16, 2011
                                            Greetings,
                                            I'm sure when I learnt to touchtype* my manual typewriter had settable tabstops, you could realign them to any column you required...

                                            That's the point I guess, a tab is to line up the text into a 'convenient' position, it certainly wasnt a fixed number globally, and wasnt even a fixed number for each tab on a line! (tab stops set at column 6,20,28,36 & 50 would do your paragraph indent and data into a table)

                                            however we probably digress... set tabs at whatever looks good, and just be consistent, and indicate what size you use.

                                            *Touchtyping - I'd consider that a prerequisite to 'enjoy' using vi :-) A mouse is unnecessary.

                                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

                                            > Quoting Ainvar G (ainvarg@...):
                                            > > Well, in my (pre-computer) keyboarding classes a very long time ago, a
                                            > > tab was defined as 6 characters.  Until today, I thought that was still
                                            > > normal, to be honest.
                                            >
                                            > Funny. In my keyboarding classes, also pre-computer, a tab was defined by
                                            > pressing the tab key, which transported the typewriter head to the next
                                            > tab-stop. According to---if I remember correctly---a DIN (German Industry
                                            > Norm) the distance of those tab-stops was defined as 8. Which was the same
                                            > my grandpa's old and wonderful mechanical typewriter had built in.
                                            >
                                            > Susan

                                          • Ainvar G
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 19, 2011
                                              Making me think way back now, aren't you?

                                              If memory serves, we had two choices of fonts to work with - Elite and Pica. I believe Elite was 12 characters per inch while Pica was 10 cpi.  We generally used Elite.  Thinking back, I don't remember if we were supposed to be setting the tab stops at the half-inch or at 6 characters, but it was effectively the same.

                                              But as usual, you are correct - the tabs were defined by the tab stops on the typewriters -- the practice in our coursework happened to work out to be 6 characters, so it's always been the norm in the back of my mind, I guess.

                                              And for the record, I'm not knocking vi in any fashion -- I'm not a professional developer, but it's a virtual guarantee that will spend an hour or two using it every day I'm at work. I prefer it to the alternatives that the whippersnappers keep showing me. ;-)