Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

BoD Meeting Notes - May 2nd, 2011

Expand Messages
  • Andrew
    Board Meeting Notes: [19:00] Welcome to the PCGen Board of Directors Meeting on the 2nd of May, 2011 at 1900 hours Pacific Daylight Savings
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 8:37 AM
      Board Meeting Notes:

      [19:00] <@[Chair]Andrew> Welcome to the PCGen Board of Directors Meeting on the 2nd of May, 2011 at
      1900 hours Pacific Daylight Savings Time.
      [19:00] <@[Chair]Andrew> We have a Non-Quorum meeting which means we'll discuss our items per
      normal, but no binding votes may be made at this meeting.
      [19:00] <@[Chair]Andrew> We respectfully request that all non-board members hold any questions until
      the Chair Monkey declares an open forum, at which point any business may be brought up.
      [19:00] <@[Chair]Andrew> Our Agenda for tonight is:
      [19:00] <@[Chair]Andrew> ? Team Reports
      [19:00] <@[Chair]Andrew> ? Code - UI Progress Report
      [19:00] <@[Chair]Andrew> ? Open Forum
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> I'll start for Admin and Cover for Content
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> Admin
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> ? Web Team - Setting up back up webserver capabilities per our
      disaster plan. We also have in place plans for back up JIRA, as well as holding our repository.
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> ? Releases - None scheduled while the UI Beta is in progress
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> ? Trackers - Pending items for review from SF - still low priority
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> Content
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> . Data Sets - Recently we had a flurry of new Data Sets included into
      the Alpha Release
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> . A Few Bug Fixes and improvements in Pathfinder
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> . Docs - No movement here, though there are a few items that need some
      attention
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> . OS - Some planned improvements - in discussion with Chuck for
      greater support of current tokens.
      [19:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> That's it for Admin and Content - Any questions?
      [19:02] <david[AD_PR_2nd]> nope
      [19:03] <@[Chair]Andrew> David, would you like to cover PR team?
      [19:03] <david[AD_PR_2nd]> Sure, but there is nothing to report. I announced the OOC set #5 for
      Pathfinder, but other than that we are waiting for the UI overhaul, and another release.
      [19:04] <@[Chair]Andrew> Sounds good.
      [19:04] <@[Chair]Andrew> James - Can you hit Code / Arch, and then onto the UI report?
      [19:07] <@[Chair]Andrew> James?
      [19:08] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, seems we don't have James.
      [19:09] <@[Chair]Andrew> UI as I understand it. Things are progressing nicely. Lots of good feedback
      which should keep James and Connor busy enough.
      [19:09] <@[Chair]Andrew> UI should be on a third demo release for the closed testing.
      [19:09] <@[Chair]Andrew> Code - No Bug/FREQs due to UI work
      [19:09] <jamesd[Code_SB]> hi there
      [19:10] <@[Chair]Andrew> Welcome
      [19:10] <@[Chair]Andrew> Would you like to take over the reports for Code/Arch and UI?
      [19:11] <jamesd[Code_SB]> ah now I have to disagree on that one Andrew
      [19:11] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Sure
      [19:11] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Stefan has fixed a couple of bugs in trunk related to Pathfinder rules
      requirements
      [19:11] <jamesd[Code_SB]> The UI work has continued with lots of good feedback being received and
      updates being made in response to those.
      [19:12] <jamesd[Code_SB]> as Andrew mentioned third and final demo for the closed testing group will
      be produced this week.
      [19:13] <jamesd[Code_SB]> I think once that is done it would be good to get out 5.17.7
      [19:13] <jamesd[Code_SB]> That's it from me - any questions?
      [19:13] <david[AD_PR_2nd]> Will that include the new UI?
      [19:13] <jamesd[Code_SB]> no
      [19:13] <david[AD_PR_2nd]> or is that 6.x
      [19:13] <david[AD_PR_2nd]> Ok,
      [19:13] <@[Chair]Andrew> no questions from me.
      [19:14] <jamesd[Code_SB]> There are significant areas not yet implemented in the new UI - we'll have
      to get those done first
      [19:14] <jamesd[Code_SB]> However I am keen to see it merged in the 5.17.x series :)
      [19:14] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, open forum. I don't have any business. So any others have anything?
      [19:15] <jamesd[Code_SB]> The question of using git was raised on the dev list
      [19:15] <jamesd[Code_SB]> This would replace our use of SVN
      [19:16] <david[AD_PR_2nd]> Does Tortoise have a Git like it has an SVN code?
      [19:16] <@[Chair]Andrew> It's an interesting proposal - I've reviewed the materials and it's not
      without merit, however, our current implementation and moving to GIT would be fairly unchanged. Only
      the trusted user code commits would be included in the main release
      [19:17] <@[Chair]Andrew> I'm not keen on switching as I couldn't find any GUI nice interface program
      to play with. Doing everything by command line is not going to go over well with me.
      [19:17] <@[Chair]Andrew> Although, the idea of users using GIT and then putting that into svn is an
      idea.
      [19:19] <@[Chair]Andrew> GIT has some nice properties, but I don't see it having a significant
      impact on how we do business today. James, do you have any thoughts on the matter?
      [19:19] *** Thoth___ has joined #pcgen
      [19:20] <@[Chair]Andrew> Hi Thoth
      [19:21] <Thoth___> Allo there. Sorry I'm late...
      [19:24] <@[Chair]Andrew> Did we lose everyone?
      [19:24] <david[AD_PR_2nd]> I am here
      [19:25] <@[Chair]Andrew> David - to answer your question "In theory there is GUI like TortoiseSVN",
      however, I've been unable to find and download one yet. :(
      [19:26] <david[AD_PR_2nd]> Ok. For me, I need something simple like TortoiseSVN so I can continue to
      do data updates.... Remember, I'm an old mainframe programmer...
      [19:26] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Sorry got called away
      [19:26] <@[Chair]Andrew> Yeah, if the learning curve is too great, then I don't think the benefit of
      switching will match the loss of commiters
      [19:27] <jamesd[Code_SB]> and yes that's an important point - the devs can use tools like egit in
      eclipse and probably find it much nicer, but we need to not lose anyone along the way
      [19:27] <@[Chair]Andrew> Agreed. I think people will find they can use GIT alongside SVN without any
      issue.
      [19:28] <@[Chair]Andrew> I find that its application is handy for those of us that do lots of
      experimental changes and don't want to foul up the code base.
      [19:28] <@[Chair]Andrew> but sadly, I've not gotten beyond installing to play as it lacks a nice
      UI... command line is not my thing.
      [19:29] <@[Chair]Andrew> So, I'll stick by my main point. Our SVN repo is sufficient, and those that
      want GIT can use it, but no reason to lose the SVN repo we have.
      [19:30] <@[Chair]Andrew> That was in one of the videos I watched... they actually did use SVN for
      their production, and the coders used GIT to get things done between them.
      [19:31] <@[Chair]Andrew> Any other comments, questions or business?
      [19:32] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Interesting idea
      [19:32] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Nope none from me
      [19:32] <david[AD_PR_2nd]> Me neither
      [19:32] <@[Chair]Andrew> Thoth? Thunderchicken aka jsa?
      [19:33] <Thoth___> Not much from me I fear. Programming is not at all my field.
      [19:33] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, thanks for coming everyone.
      [19:33] * @[Chair]Andrew Bangs Gavel
      [19:33] <@[Chair]Andrew> Meeting session closed.

      --
      Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      Admin Silverback - PCGen Board of Directors
      Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
      Unique Title "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
      Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.