How to remove temporary bonus by default.

  • UnclePete
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2011
      Evening, All.

      When opening the Character Sheet tab for the first time after loading
      the character, any temporary bonuses that have been configured for that
      character are checked 'on'. Is there any way of setting this default to
      unchecked?

      This has been standard behaviour for quite a while. However, for
      completeness, I'm using 5.16.4 and 5.17.6 on Ubuntu linux and Sun java 6.

      Thanks - Pete
    • Mark Morrill
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2011
        Nobody's responded to this?

        I hope this feature gets fixed soon. While it is nice to be able to apply various effects to characters, unchecking even a few checkboxes takes a frustratingly long time - compounded if you're the DM�

        On May 1, 2011, at 17:27 , UnclePete wrote:

        > Evening, All.
        >
        > When opening the Character Sheet tab for the first time after loading
        > the character, any temporary bonuses that have been configured for that
        > character are checked 'on'. Is there any way of setting this default to
        > unchecked?
        >
        > This has been standard behaviour for quite a while. However, for
        > completeness, I'm using 5.16.4 and 5.17.6 on Ubuntu linux and Sun java 6.
        >
        > Thanks - Pete

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2011
          Open a freq at http://jira.pcgen.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

          -- david
          Papa.DRB

          My better half and me (jpg)

          On 5/3/2011 9:44 PM, Mark Morrill wrote:
          > Nobody's responded to this?
          >
          > I hope this feature gets fixed soon. While it is nice to be able to apply various effects to characters, unchecking even a few checkboxes takes a frustratingly long time - compounded if you're the DM…
          >
          > On May 1, 2011, at 17:27 , UnclePete wrote:
          >
          >> Evening, All.
          >>
          >> When opening the Character Sheet tab for the first time after loading
          >> the character, any temporary bonuses that have been configured for that
          >> character are checked 'on'. Is there any way of setting this default to
          >> unchecked?
          >>
          >> This has been standard behaviour for quite a while. However, for
          >> completeness, I'm using 5.16.4 and 5.17.6 on Ubuntu linux and Sun java 6.
          >>
          >> Thanks - Pete

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2011
            Hi Mark,

            Would an uncheck all button do the job for you? Or would you prefer to
            be able to define temp bonuses but save whether they are active?

            Cheers,
            James Dempsey
            PCGen Code SB

            On 4 May 2011 11:44, Mark Morrill <cetuscript@...> wrote:
            > Nobody's responded to this?
            >
            > I hope this feature gets fixed soon. While it is nice to be able to apply various effects to characters, unchecking even a few checkboxes takes a frustratingly long time - compounded if you're the DM…
            >
            > On May 1, 2011, at 17:27 , UnclePete wrote:
            >
            >> Evening, All.
            >>
            >> When opening the Character Sheet tab for the first time after loading
            >> the character, any temporary bonuses that have been configured for that
            >> character are checked 'on'. Is there any way of setting this default to
            >> unchecked?
            >>
            >> This has been standard behaviour for quite a while. However, for
            >> completeness, I'm using 5.16.4 and 5.17.6 on Ubuntu linux and Sun java 6.
            >>
            >> Thanks - Pete
          • Mark Morrill
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2011
              Better would be to save if they are active.

              Best might be an option like this: normally active, normally inactive.
              For example, a worn ring is normally active, a familiar at arm's length might normally be active.
              But Bull Strength would normally be inactive. And ability damage is definitely normally inactive... being something you work to get rid of.

              Thanks,
              Mark

              On May 4, 2011, at 12:07 , James Dempsey wrote:

              > Hi Mark,
              >
              > Would an uncheck all button do the job for you? Or would you prefer to
              > be able to define temp bonuses but save whether they are active?
              >
              > Cheers,
              > James Dempsey
              > PCGen Code SB
              >

              > On 4 May 2011 11:44, Mark Morrill <cetuscript@...> wrote:
              >> Nobody's responded to this?
              >>
              >> I hope this feature gets fixed soon. While it is nice to be able to apply various effects to characters, unchecking even a few checkboxes takes a frustratingly long time - compounded if you're the DM…
              >>
              >> On May 1, 2011, at 17:27 , UnclePete wrote:
              >>
              >>> Evening, All.
              >>>
              >>> When opening the Character Sheet tab for the first time after loading
              >>> the character, any temporary bonuses that have been configured for that
              >>> character are checked 'on'. Is there any way of setting this default to
              >>> unchecked?
              >>>
              >>> This has been standard behaviour for quite a while. However, for
              >>> completeness, I'm using 5.16.4 and 5.17.6 on Ubuntu linux and Sun java 6.
              >>>
              >>> Thanks - Pete

              > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

            • Susan Dittmar
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2011
                Hi folks,

                I can understand Mark's request, but please do *not* enforce that. An
                'uncheck all' or perhaps even a preferences switch would be fine, but I
                would *hate* to have to re-apply some templates over and over again just
                because I loaded a character sheet. Even more, I would hate to not be able
                to batch-create character sheets just because they incorporate temporary
                effects. Like for example the skeleton I know to stand in an unhollowed
                area -- as a DM I prefer to have the effect calculated into the skeleton's
                character sheet. It frees brain capacities urgently needed for tactics ;-)

                Just my thoughts,

                Susan
              • Mark Morrill
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2011
                  Actually, I agree with Susan�
                  What I would like is this: temp bonuses that I can decide will automatically be applied on loading or not.
                  Thus if I've got a monster that goes in play buffed up, I don't have to manually check every box. Or if I have a monster that might have "enlarge person", "reduce person", "bull strength", "barkskin", etc, I don't have to manually turn off each buff.

                  Something like a "Apply on load" checkbox would do the trick with temp bonuses (default is on to be backwards compatible)

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2011

                    Simple solution, Save the Temp Mods on/off as they are when you save the character. Upon reload, the
                    temp mods are either on or off as they were when you saved the character.

                    Seems to be the most simple solution to me.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4, 2011
                      Quoting Andrew (drew0500@...):
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Simple solution, Save the Temp Mods on/off as they are when you save the character. Upon reload, the
                      > temp mods are either on or off as they were when you saved the character.
                      >
                      > Seems to be the most simple solution to me.

                      For my needs, it is. But if I understand Mark correctly, he wished the temp
                      mods to automatically come off with save/load of character.

                      So, combined with my interjection, he came to requesting a a per-character
                      per-temp-mod flag "turn off upon character load". I myself would vote for
                      "turn off upon interactive character load", if such a feature be added,
                      though that is not necessary for my personal needs.

                      Susan
                    • James Dempsey
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2011

                        On 5/05/2011 2:24 AM Susan Dittmar wrote
                        > Quoting Andrew (drew0500@...):
                        >> Hi,
                        >>
                        >> Simple solution, Save the Temp Mods on/off as they are when you save the character. Upon reload, the
                        >> temp mods are either on or off as they were when you saved the character.
                        >>
                        >> Seems to be the most simple solution to me.
                        > For my needs, it is. But if I understand Mark correctly, he wished the temp
                        > mods to automatically come off with save/load of character.
                        >
                        > So, combined with my interjection, he came to requesting a a per-character
                        > per-temp-mod flag "turn off upon character load". I myself would vote for
                        > "turn off upon interactive character load", if such a feature be added,
                        > though that is not necessary for my personal needs.

                        I agree with Andrew, saving the chosen on/off state of each temp mod
                        seems like the simplest and least surprising way. If we had any form of
                        autooff on load we would get complaints that the temp mods never apply :)

                        Cheers,
                        James.
                      • UnclePete
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 4, 2011
                          I also agree with Andrew. Saving the state of each bonus would work
                          nicely. Can I also add that when first adding the bonus to the
                          character, the initial state should be 'off'?

                          Pete