Pathfinder data problems

  • luinvilya
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2011
      (Repost to change e-mail address, sorry for those who read already)

      I've found these problems while converting and creating characters, in a Pathfinder campaign. PCGen version is 5.17.6.

      I tried 5.16.4 but it was not any better, and many of these problems are also in that version. I didn't check all problems though.

      I'd like to know if any of them is fixed or intentional. If I'm misunderstanding Pathfinder rules or how PCGen works, please correct me.

      Problems list:

      * Glove of Storing retains weight of contained item. Its description says "While stored, the item has negligible weight."

      * Oathbow provides +1 enhancement bonus. Why not +2?

      * Custom domain problem: I created a custom domain by copying Protection domain. If I choose it, it only provides +1 saving throw bonus. I fiddled with editor and found DOMAINLVL is not what it should be. The line "BONUS:VAR|DOMAINPROTECTIONLVL|DOMAINLVL" does not work as expected, and if I change DOMAINLVL to a number, it works. Note that the original Protection and Defense domain work as expected.

      * Wrong CR adjustment: Half-celestial template provides CR bonus, according to HD. But when I created a level 20 human NPC with this
      template, CR is 20 (19+1). I think CR should be 22 (19+3), because HD = 20 >= 11. Am I wrong here?

      * Character sheet: preview.html has 2 "Misc"s in AC field. Thanks to that, "Miss Chance", "Arcane Spell Failure", etc. are pushed to the right. Other .html's do not have this problem.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2011

        Wow - that's quite the landry list. I'm by no means an expert but I'll try to answer these from the
        top of my head:

        > I've found these problems while converting and creating characters, in a
        > Pathfinder campaign. Version 5.17.6. Note, 5.16.4 was not better for me,
        > and many of these problems are also in that version. I didn't check all
        > problems though.
        > I'd like to know if any of them is fixed or intentional. If I'm
        > misunderstanding Pathfinder rules or how PCGen works, please correct me.
        >
        > * Glove of Storing retains weight of contained item. Its description
        > <http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/wondrousItems.html#glove-\
        > of-storing> says "While stored, the item has negligible weight."

        So the weight is being passed to the Character? That'd be a bug then.

        > * Oathbow provides +1 enhancement bonus. Why not +2?

        I believe the cost is as a +2, but it's extra properties count as a +1. Hence not a +2 Enhancement.
        Remember, a Weapon can have a +5 Enhancement Bonus and +5 Additional Properties (Flaming Burst,
        Holy, etc.)

        > * Custom domain problem: I created a custom domain by copying Protection
        > domain. If I choose it, it only provides +1 saving throw bonus. I
        > fiddled with editor and found DOMAINLVL is not what it should be. The
        > line "BONUS:VAR|DOMAINPROTECTIONLVL|DOMAINLVL" does not work as
        > expected, and if I change DOMAINLVL to a number, it works. Note that the
        > original Protection and Defense domain work as expected.

        That would be a bug then. Also, you don't want to mimic another domain variable name as those do
        have special purposes.

        This is where hand coding is a little safer, cause you'll need to DEFINE:YourVarName|0 <> Then do
        the same formula as above for your formula. I've not played with the editor, but you should be able
        to do the same thing, but I like having my homebrew stuff easily modified and checked.

        > * Wrong CR adjustment: Half-celestial template provides CR bonus,
        > according to HD. But when I created a level 20 human NPC with this
        > template, CR is 20 (19+1). I think CR should be 22 (19+3), because HD =
        > 20>= 11. Am I wrong here?

        I think you may be correct, sounds like a bug.

        > * Character sheet: Arcane Spell Failure does not consider feats such as
        > Arcane Armor Training.

        It depends - If the LST monkey coded it up and it's not working that would be a bug; if the LST
        monkey didn't code up that additional bit, then that would be a feature request on the data side.

        > * Character sheet: preview.html has 2 "Misc"s in AC field. Thanks to
        > that, "Miss Chance", "Arcane Spell Failure", etc. are pushed to the
        > right. Other .html's do not have this problem.

        I'm going to change "preview" to not being the default preview sheet as it's fallen behind the
        standards, plus, it's quite hideous compared to the rest. I might bring it up to be removed in all
        cases except for testing purposes.

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • luinvilya
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2011

          Thank you for reply. Actually this is my first attempt to use PCGen seriously, so you can expect more laundry list. ;)

          > > * Glove of Storing retains weight of contained item.
          >
          > So the weight is being passed to the Character? That'd be a bug then.

          This problem persists in SRD too.

          > > * Oathbow provides +1 enhancement bonus. Why not +2?
          >
          > I believe the cost is as a +2, but it's extra properties count as a +1. Hence not a +2 Enhancement.
          > Remember, a Weapon can have a +5 Enhancement Bonus and +5 Additional Properties (Flaming Burst,
          > Holy, etc.)

          Oathbow is "Composite Longbow +2" per its description. And from my testing result, PCGen provides +2 bonus for Composite Longbow +2 if equipped. So I think Oathbow also should provide +2 bonus. This problem persists in SRD too.

          > > * Custom domain problem:
          > > The
          > > line "BONUS:VAR|DOMAINPROTECTIONLVL|DOMAINLVL" does not work as
          > > expected, and if I change DOMAINLVL to a number, it works.
          >
          > you don't want to mimic another domain variable name as those do
          > have special purposes.

          That line ("BONUS:...") is shared between both Protection and Defense domains, so I assumed keeping it would be safe. (In fact I didn't change a thing. Just name change.)

          > > * Wrong CR adjustment: Half-celestial template provides CR bonus,
          > > according to HD.

          I think I found the cause. More on that in separate post.