Won't let me save

  • KT
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2011
      Hi guys,

      I am running v. 5.16.4 and it will not let me save my character. When I click on save, it just tells me that it could not save [pc's name].
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2011
        Hi,

        That can be annoying - Are you using any homebrew or custom sets?
        What Data Sets did you have loaded up at the time?
        Operating System? Windows (), Mac (), Linux (), other_____
        Java Version and from whom?
        i.e. 1.5 from SunJava

        Pull up the Console (Found Under DEBUG) and when you hit save the character, post the error message
        that is displayed in the console.

        All is not lost, you should be able to export to PDF, HTM or even TXT, so what you've finished isn't
        completely down the drain.

        Next, and this is important, where did you set up PCGen to save your Backup character?
        Go there and copy the pcg.bak file to your characters folder. Kindly send a copy of that character
        to us. (Or directly to me). Unfortunately, when the 'cannot save pc name' happens, the original file
        is blank, so any clues as to what is causing it, can only be found in the back up character.

        Cheers,

        On 4/21/2011 8:49 AM, KT wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        >
        > I am running v. 5.16.4 and it will not let me save my character. When I click on save, it just tells me that it could not save [pc's name].

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21, 2011
          Hi,

          On 22/04/2011 1:49 AM KT wrote
          > Hi guys,
          >
          > I am running v. 5.16.4 and it will not let me save my character. When I click on save, it just tells me that it could not save [pc's name].

          The most likely reason for this is that the character folder is
          read-only. If you choose save-as and select a new location under say
          your My Documents folder it should work fine.

          I've raised this asCODE-555
          <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-555>-Could not save character -
          should ask for a new location <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-555>
          and we'll aim to fix it as part of the new UI.

          Cheers,
          James.

        • KT
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 21, 2011