1st edition d&d and pcgen

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2011
      On Behalf of a Lost User trying to use one of the Tracker Mailing Lists:

      "How do I make pcgen work with the 1st edition ad&d?

      Thanks,
      Yehoshua
      Please email me at ..."

      Hi Yehoshua,

      At this time, PCGen is designed to support the OGL - Open Game License, put forth by Wizards of the
      Coast to support D&D 3rd edition, and 3.5 edition.

      1st and 2nd Edition don't have any such license agreement. We are *currently* trying to decide if
      'OSRIC' follows such guidelines (It's an OGL Version of 1st edition). Found
      http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/ - unfortunately, our policy is to contact the publisher and
      gain permission to use any of their source books in our program. As of this writing, I'm not aware
      of any response to our inquiry.

      Since you are asking, I will send a nudge email to Paul (Our Publisher Liaison), and see if he has
      gotten any responses from them.

      However, to answer your question "How do I make pcgen work with the 1st edition ad&d" literally, you
      have to code up your own Gamemode and practically write your own core rule data set, and since PCGen
      was designed with 3rd edition rules, you'll have to modify the Output Sheets to make the output
      support a 1st edition look. Now, can it be done? Certainly. Is this an undertaking for a homebrew
      user? Not unless you have a LOT of experience coding up all of the above. I don't want to discourage
      you, but we are talking about coding outside the mainstream box to implement EVERYTHING. I know,
      cause I started making the set, but halted since we haven't had any confirmation from the publisher.