Wand descriptions

  • FerretDave
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
      Greetings,
      I apologise for firing too many things at once at the board here, bet you cant tell who's preparing for a game? :-)

      PCGEN 5.16.4, RSRD+homebrew.

      I have a question on wands - in the rsrd_equip_rodstaffswands.lst, many (presumably all) wands are listed by name, and each has:

      EQMOD:SPL_CHRG|SPELLNAME[XXXXX]SPELLLEVEL[1]CASTERLEVEL[1]

      Where XXXXX is the actual spell name.

      The question is, why? What does that actually do?
      On the OS I only get the name of the wand, and the number of charges, the EQMOD section doesn't seem to make any difference to the output.

      Ideally each wand would list the DESC of the actual spell on the OS, so I'd know that my wand of XXX does YYY without having to go searching for the rules.
      I appreciate however that using the DESC of a spell would need clarification on the CASTERLEVEL for calculations... but the wand already has that info in the EQMOD above, should it be using it? or is this LST file info that is waiting on code/OS updates to allow it to be used?

      Same comment on potions & scrolls I guess - I'd like every potion & scroll to show the DESC of the related spell.

      I was about to go through and homebrew up some .MODs to add this info (for the wands/potions currently in use in my games), and finding the above made me think there may already be a method?

      Cheers
      Dave
    • Andrew Wardell
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2011
        Before I dive into .lst files and such, I figured I'd check to see if anyone
        has already tackled the following, so I'm not reinventing the wheel J

        Has anyone coded a template, or adjustment in the Resource tab, to apply a
        Mutagen to an alchemist (including the effects of various discoveries such
        as Feral Mutagen). I've got some hacked-together templates now, but they
        are far from universal.

        Has anyone coded up a 'Mounted' adjustment for the Lance (giving it the
        option of one-handed, and applying bonuses if a Cavalier)

        Similarly, has anyone coded up a 'Mounted Charge' adjustment for the Lance
        (including the extra damage, and taking appropriate feats into account).

        Has anyone come up with any of the above in an output sheet, similar to the
        way the Barbarian 'Rage' button works?

        Finally, has anyone built an 'attacks only' OS? My players are starting to
        get to the point where they can be applying multiple different options to
        their attacks, and I'm thinking I'd like to have all of their attacks with
        options in one spot.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2011

          The answer to my knowledge is 'No' to all of your questions.

          Cheers,

          On 5/1/2011 5:02 AM, Andrew Wardell wrote:
          > Before I dive into .lst files and such, I figured I'd check to see if anyone
          > has already tackled the following, so I'm not reinventing the wheel J
          >

          > Has anyone coded a template, or adjustment in the Resource tab, to apply a
          > Mutagen to an alchemist (including the effects of various discoveries such
          > as Feral Mutagen). I've got some hacked-together templates now, but they
          > are far from universal.
          >

          > Has anyone coded up a 'Mounted' adjustment for the Lance (giving it the
          > option of one-handed, and applying bonuses if a Cavalier)
          >

          > Similarly, has anyone coded up a 'Mounted Charge' adjustment for the Lance
          > (including the extra damage, and taking appropriate feats into account).
          >

          > Has anyone come up with any of the above in an output sheet, similar to the
          > way the Barbarian 'Rage' button works?
          >

          > Finally, has anyone built an 'attacks only' OS? My players are starting to
          > get to the point where they can be applying multiple different options to
          > their attacks, and I'm thinking I'd like to have all of their attacks with
          > options in one spot.

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2011
            Hi Dave,

            Did you get an answer for this?

            On 6 April 2011 23:19, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Greetings,
            > I apologise for firing too many things at once at the board here, bet you
            > cant tell who's preparing for a game? :-)
            >
            > PCGEN 5.16.4, RSRD+homebrew.
            >
            > I have a question on wands - in the rsrd_equip_rodstaffswands.lst, many
            > (presumably all) wands are listed by name, and each has:
            >
            > EQMOD:SPL_CHRG|SPELLNAME[XXXXX]SPELLLEVEL[1]CASTERLEVEL[1]
            >
            > Where XXXXX is the actual spell name.
            >
            > The question is, why? What does that actually do?
            > On the OS I only get the name of the wand, and the number of charges, the
            > EQMOD section doesn't seem to make any difference to the output.
            >
            > Ideally each wand would list the DESC of the actual spell on the OS, so I'd
            > know that my wand of XXX does YYY without having to go searching for the
            > rules.
            > I appreciate however that using the DESC of a spell would need
            > clarification on the CASTERLEVEL for calculations... but the wand already
            > has that info in the EQMOD above, should it be using it? or is this LST file
            > info that is waiting on code/OS updates to allow it to be used?
            >
            > Same comment on potions & scrolls I guess - I'd like every potion & scroll
            > to show the DESC of the related spell.
            >
            > I was about to go through and homebrew up some .MODs to add this info (for
            > the wands/potions currently in use in my games), and finding the above made
            > me think there may already be a method?
            >
            > Cheers
            > Dave

          • FerretDave
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 10, 2011
              Greetings,
              .. I'd forgotten about this myself!
              No, no response on it unfortunately.
              I'd still like to get it updated so wand/potion descriptions can be on the OS.

              Cheers

              > Hi Dave,
              >
              > Did you get an answer for this?

              > On 6 April 2011 23:19, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Greetings,
              > > I apologise for firing too many things at once at the board here, bet you
              > > cant tell who's preparing for a game? :-)
              > >
              > > PCGEN 5.16.4, RSRD+homebrew.
              > >
              > > I have a question on wands - in the rsrd_equip_rodstaffswands.lst, many
              > > (presumably all) wands are listed by name, and each has:
              > >
              > > EQMOD:SPL_CHRG|SPELLNAME[XXXXX]SPELLLEVEL[1]CASTERLEVEL[1]
              > >
              > > Where XXXXX is the actual spell name.
              > >
              > > The question is, why? What does that actually do?
              > > On the OS I only get the name of the wand, and the number of charges, the
              > > EQMOD section doesn't seem to make any difference to the output.
              > >
              > > Ideally each wand would list the DESC of the actual spell on the OS, so I'd
              > > know that my wand of XXX does YYY without having to go searching for the
              > > rules.
              > > I appreciate however that using the DESC of a spell would need
              > > clarification on the CASTERLEVEL for calculations... but the wand already
              > > has that info in the EQMOD above, should it be using it? or is this LST file
              > > info that is waiting on code/OS updates to allow it to be used?
              > >
              > > Same comment on potions & scrolls I guess - I'd like every potion & scroll
              > > to show the DESC of the related spell.
              > >
              > > I was about to go through and homebrew up some .MODs to add this info (for
              > > the wands/potions currently in use in my games), and finding the above made
              > > me think there may already be a method?
              > >
              > > Cheers
              > > Dave

            • Chuck
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2011
                As far as I know, the only way to get a "description" in the equipment list is to enter the information into the SPROP field of the item. I believe that the spellname is used to print out the spell in one of the spell pages. I can't check right now, but it should be easy to find out.

                Chuck
                OS Chimp

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

                > Greetings,
                > .. I'd forgotten about this myself!
                > No, no response on it unfortunately.
                > I'd still like to get it updated so wand/potion descriptions can be on the OS.
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Dave,
                > >
                > > Did you get an answer for this?

                > > On 6 April 2011 23:19, FerretDave <ferret.griffin@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >

                > > > Greetings,
                > > > I apologise for firing too many things at once at the board here, bet you
                > > > cant tell who's preparing for a game? :-)
                > > >
                > > > PCGEN 5.16.4, RSRD+homebrew.
                > > >
                > > > I have a question on wands - in the rsrd_equip_rodstaffswands.lst, many
                > > > (presumably all) wands are listed by name, and each has:
                > > >
                > > > EQMOD:SPL_CHRG|SPELLNAME[XXXXX]SPELLLEVEL[1]CASTERLEVEL[1]
                > > >
                > > > Where XXXXX is the actual spell name.
                > > >
                > > > The question is, why? What does that actually do?
                > > > On the OS I only get the name of the wand, and the number of charges, the
                > > > EQMOD section doesn't seem to make any difference to the output.
                > > >
                > > > Ideally each wand would list the DESC of the actual spell on the OS, so I'd
                > > > know that my wand of XXX does YYY without having to go searching for the
                > > > rules.
                > > > I appreciate however that using the DESC of a spell would need
                > > > clarification on the CASTERLEVEL for calculations... but the wand already
                > > > has that info in the EQMOD above, should it be using it? or is this LST file
                > > > info that is waiting on code/OS updates to allow it to be used?
                > > >
                > > > Same comment on potions & scrolls I guess - I'd like every potion & scroll
                > > > to show the DESC of the related spell.
                > > >
                > > > I was about to go through and homebrew up some .MODs to add this info (for
                > > > the wands/potions currently in use in my games), and finding the above made
                > > > me think there may already be a method?
                > > >
                > > > Cheers
                > > > Dave

              • FerretDave
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 10, 2011
                  Still havent found a way to get the spell description for a wand or potion to appear, not without .MOD and SPROPing it myself anyway...
                  Can anyone confirm if the spell stuff on the wands/potions is used/displayed anywhere?