PFRPG -

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 29, 2011
      Jason Bulmahn, Lead Designer at Paizo, posts in the Paizo Blog
      http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lc1y
      on "what happens when an animal gets an increased Int score

      > There are many ways an animal can gain intelligence. It can gain hit
      > dice and apply its ability score boost to Int. It can gain the
      > advanced simple template. A druid could cast /awaken/ on it.
      > Regardless of the source, an increase in Int comes with all of the
      > standard bonuses, such as additional skill points. Once a creature's
      > Int reaches 3, it also gains a language
      > Note that while the monster guidelines talk about a maximum Int for an
      > animal, this only applies to the creation process. Giving an animal a
      > higher Intelligence score does not somehow transform it into a magical
      > beast, unless the effect says otherwise, such as in the case of
      > /awaken/. Animals can grow to have an Int higher than 2 through a
      > variety of means, but they should not, as a general rule, be created
      > that way.

      I am especially interested in this question vs. PCGen as

      a) we have a Ranger, dedicated (*) to her Hawk companion, who is mighty
      jealous of the Wizzards with their fancy familiars who understand
      instructions rather than performing tricks.

      b) PCGen is most unhappy about allowing an Animal with boosted Int to be
      an Animal Companion.

      It seems the official ruling is that an Animal remains an Animal unless
      and until something happens to it which is defined to change it
      otherwise - so an Int-boosted Companion is definitely within the rules.

      Any chance our own heroic Monkeys could adjust the PCGen attitude to
      intelligent animals for PFRPG Animal Companions?

      (*apart from her fantasy of acquiring a Woolly Rhino...)

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 29, 2011
        Ranger 4 HD, Animal companion 2 HD. Level the Ranger to 7 and the Animal
        Companion gets it 4th HD and add 1 to Int. Works in 5.17.5 or am I
        missing something you are saying?

        -- david
        Papa.DRB

        My better half and me (jpg)

        Rule of thumb for software: The first 80% of the development takes 80%
        of the planned time. The last 20% takes the other 80%.

        On 3/29/2011 4:13 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
        > Jason Bulmahn, Lead Designer at Paizo, posts in the Paizo Blog
        > http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lc1y
        > on "what happens when an animal gets an increased Int score
        >
        >> There are many ways an animal can gain intelligence. It can gain hit
        >> dice and apply its ability score boost to Int. It can gain the
        >> advanced simple template. A druid could cast /awaken/ on it.
        >> Regardless of the source, an increase in Int comes with all of the
        >> standard bonuses, such as additional skill points. Once a creature's
        >> Int reaches 3, it also gains a language
        >> Note that while the monster guidelines talk about a maximum Int for an
        >> animal, this only applies to the creation process. Giving an animal a
        >> higher Intelligence score does not somehow transform it into a magical
        >> beast, unless the effect says otherwise, such as in the case of
        >> /awaken/. Animals can grow to have an Int higher than 2 through a
        >> variety of means, but they should not, as a general rule, be created
        >> that way.
        > I am especially interested in this question vs. PCGen as
        >
        > a) we have a Ranger, dedicated (*) to her Hawk companion, who is mighty
        > jealous of the Wizzards with their fancy familiars who understand
        > instructions rather than performing tricks.
        >
        > b) PCGen is most unhappy about allowing an Animal with boosted Int to be
        > an Animal Companion.
        >
        > It seems the official ruling is that an Animal remains an Animal unless
        > and until something happens to it which is defined to change it
        > otherwise - so an Int-boosted Companion is definitely within the rules.
        >

        > Any chance our own heroic Monkeys could adjust the PCGen attitude to
        > intelligent animals for PFRPG Animal Companions?
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 29, 2011
          I think he's talking about the bonus language due to an intelligence modifier. Which is only granted at 1st level, unless that has changed in PFRPG. Which looking at my book right here doesn't seem to be the case.

          > Ranger 4 HD, Animal companion 2 HD. Level the Ranger to 7 and the Animal
          > Companion gets it 4th HD and add 1 to Int. Works in 5.17.5 or am I
          > missing something you are saying?
          >
          > -- david
          > Papa.DRB

        • Matthew Thompson
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 29, 2011
            It has changed.

            http://paizo.com/paizo/blog

            Entry entitled Monkey See, Monkey Do.

            Jason Buhlman wrote an FAQ on animals gaining 3+ intelligence. One of the
            things that happens at that point is they gain a single language, among
            qualifying for feats they couldn't take before.

            If an animal is fully sentient (like from an Awaken spell), they can take class
            levels as well.

            ________________________________
            I think he's talking about the bonus language due to an intelligence modifier.
            Which is only granted at 1st level, unless that has changed in PFRPG. Which
            looking at my book right here doesn't seem to be the case.

            > Ranger 4 HD, Animal companion 2 HD. Level the Ranger to 7 and the Animal
            > Companion gets it 4th HD and add 1 to Int. Works in 5.17.5 or am I
            > missing something you are saying?
            >
            > -- david
            > Papa.DRB

          • David R. Bender
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 30, 2011
              Open a JIRA Code Freq please. Point it back to the FAQ entry on Paizo,
              thanks.

              On 3/29/2011 10:03 PM, Matthew Thompson wrote:
              > It has changed.
              >
              > http://paizo.com/paizo/blog
              >
              > Entry entitled Monkey See, Monkey Do.
              >
              > Jason Buhlman wrote an FAQ on animals gaining 3+ intelligence. One of the
              > things that happens at that point is they gain a single language, among
              > qualifying for feats they couldn't take before.
              >

              > If an animal is fully sentient (like from an Awaken spell), they can take class
              > levels as well.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • papa_drb
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 30, 2011
                I am reading the Blog Discussion thread on Paizo and this is a rule change per Jason....

                "They do and this is an intentional change we are making. The rules leave no room for an animal to gain intelligence without somehow transforming into a magical beast, which comes with a whole host of changes. There has to be room here for corner cases and exceptions, which this absolute rule does not allow.

                Jason Bulmahn"

                -- david
                Papa.DRB

                > Open a JIRA Code Freq please. Point it back to the FAQ entry on Paizo,
                > thanks.
                >
                > -- david
                > Papa.DRB
                >
                > My better half and me (jpg)
                > <http://mysite.verizon.net/vze16ni4g/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>

                > Rule of thumb for software: The first 80% of the development takes 80%
                > of the planned time. The last 20% takes the other 80%.
                >
                > On 3/29/2011 10:03 PM, Matthew Thompson wrote:
                > > It has changed.
                > >
                > > http://paizo.com/paizo/blog
                > >
                > > Entry entitled Monkey See, Monkey Do.
                > >
                > > Jason Buhlman wrote an FAQ on animals gaining 3+ intelligence. One of the
                > > things that happens at that point is they gain a single language, among
                > > qualifying for feats they couldn't take before.
                > >

                > > If an animal is fully sentient (like from an Awaken spell), they can take class
                > > levels as well.
              • Matthew Thompson
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 30, 2011
                  :)

                  Where do I do that?

                  ________________________________
                  Open a JIRA Code Freq please. Point it back to the FAQ entry on Paizo,
                  thanks.

                  -- david
                  Papa.DRB

                  My better half and me (jpg)

                  Rule of thumb for software: The first 80% of the development takes 80%
                  of the planned time. The last 20% takes the other 80%.

                  On 3/29/2011 10:03 PM, Matthew Thompson wrote:
                  > It has changed.
                  >
                  > http://paizo.com/paizo/blog
                  >
                  > Entry entitled Monkey See, Monkey Do.
                  >
                  > Jason Buhlman wrote an FAQ on animals gaining 3+ intelligence. One of the
                  > things that happens at that point is they gain a single language, among
                  > qualifying for feats they couldn't take before.
                  >

                  > If an animal is fully sentient (like from an Awaken spell), they can take
                  class
                  > levels as well.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                  Greased Lightbox
                  →←+-↻
                  Click anywhere to cancel
                  Image unavailable

                • David R. Bender
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 30, 2011
                    http://jira.pcgen.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

                    and the link to the guide on how to use it is here:

                    http://wiki.pcgen.org/PCGen_Jira_Guide

                    -- david
                    Papa.DRB

                    My better half and me (jpg)

                    On 3/30/2011 9:08 AM, Matthew Thompson wrote:
                    > :)
                    >
                    > Where do I do that?

                  • Matthew Thompson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 30, 2011
                      Code-541 created (if I did it right, first one)