Debian package available

  • panayk
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 16, 2011
      Hi, I have just prepared a .deb package of PCGen (version 5.16.4), for
      Debian Wheezy.

      The package names are pcgen and pcgen-data.

      To use it, add the following lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

      deb http://panayk.endofinternet.org/apt panayk-wheezy main
      deb-src http://panayk.endofinternet.org/apt panayk-wheezy main

      Then run:

      $ sudo aptitude update

      followed by:

      $ sudo aptitude install pcgen

      I hope you enjoy it. Please keep me informed of any omissions/bugs.

      Regards,
      Panayiotis
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 16, 2011
        Know if there has been any testing done on Ubuntu?

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "panayk" <panayk@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I have just prepared a .deb package of PCGen (version 5.16.4), for
        > Debian Wheezy.
        >
        > The package names are pcgen and pcgen-data.
        >
        > To use it, add the following lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
        >
        > deb http://panayk.endofinternet.org/apt panayk-wheezy main
        > deb-src http://panayk.endofinternet.org/apt panayk-wheezy main
        >
        > Then run:
        >
        > $ sudo aptitude update
        >
        > followed by:
        >
        > $ sudo aptitude install pcgen
        >
        > I hope you enjoy it. Please keep me informed of any omissions/bugs.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Panayiotis

      • UnclePete
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 16, 2011
          I'll add my interest to Paul's. I use Ubuntu on multiple devices - I
          have no problem with installation, but having things like new and
          out-of-cycle datasets available as part of the normal update/patch of
          each machine would be awesome.

          On 03/17/2011 11:35 AM, Paul wrote:

          > Know if there has been any testing done on Ubuntu?
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "panayk" <panayk@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, I have just prepared a .deb package of PCGen (version 5.16.4), for
          > > Debian Wheezy.
          > >
          > > The package names are pcgen and pcgen-data.
          > >
          > > To use it, add the following lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
          > >
          > > deb http://panayk.endofinternet.org/apt panayk-wheezy main
          > > deb-src http://panayk.endofinternet.org/apt panayk-wheezy main
          > >
          > > Then run:
          > >
          > > $ sudo aptitude update
          > >
          > > followed by:
          > >
          > > $ sudo aptitude install pcgen
          > >
          > > I hope you enjoy it. Please keep me informed of any omissions/bugs.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Panayiotis

        • panayk
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 17, 2011
            @Paul:
            Packages for ubuntu are available at [1]. I have not tested it - because I don't have access to any Ubuntu machines - but it should work. Let me know if there are any problems or if you need another Ubuntu distribution.

            @UnclePete:
            What is an out-of-cycle dataset? :-) Tell me and I'll see what I can do. ;-)

            [1] https://launchpad.net/~panayk/+archive/ppa
          • Eric C Smith
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 17, 2011
              Greetings!

              On Mar 17, 2011, at 2:05 PM, panayk wrote:

              > @UnclePete:
              > What is an out-of-cycle dataset? :-) Tell me and I'll see what I can do. ;-)

              Out-of-Cycle data sets are data install files that contain data files that have been updated since the last stable release. These files can be installed directly into PCGen through the 'Install Data' function found under the 'Tools' menu. In general, the files provided by PCGen (link provided below) are intended for the latest stable release as the sets are generally incorporated into the general release during the developmental cycle, thus the sets are called 'Out-of-Cycle' data sets.

              Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/

              I'm not sure including the OOC files in the deb update file would really get you anything as its simple enough to d/l the files from PCGen's website and PCGen does the actual install . . .

              Maredudd
            • UnclePete
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 17, 2011
                Hi Maredudd,

                Nice summary. Thanks!

                The benefit of placing the OoC datasets in the repository is one of
                convenience only. I personally have no problem keeping an eye out for a
                new dataset release then installing them, but I am not typical in the
                gaming groups I belong to. Keeping everyone at the same level is always
                an issue (Note: I play in groups with mainly professional people and
                there's often a missing player due to work or personal reasons - the
                'guest player' scenario is common and matched datasets are necessary for
                this to work).

                While this doesn't help the Windoze victims, it would certainly help the
                linux users - all of whom are Ubuntu users in my circle of gaming
                friends. It's only a small thing, but anything that reduces time spent
                frakking around with software increases gaming time, and that's a good
                thing!

                I'm happy to assist with testing, etc

                Pete

                PS - the 'Install Data' tool was one of the best new features in recent
                years - made my life much easier :)

                On 03/18/2011 06:19 AM, Eric C Smith wrote:

                > Greetings!
                >
                > On Mar 17, 2011, at 2:05 PM, panayk wrote:
                >
                > > @UnclePete:
                > > What is an out-of-cycle dataset? :-) Tell me and I'll see what I can
                > do. ;-)
                > >

                > Out-of-Cycle data sets are data install files that contain data files
                > that have been updated since the last stable release. These files can
                > be installed directly into PCGen through the 'Install Data' function
                > found under the 'Tools' menu. In general, the files provided by PCGen
                > (link provided below) are intended for the latest stable release as
                > the sets are generally incorporated into the general release during
                > the developmental cycle, thus the sets are called 'Out-of-Cycle' data
                > sets.
                >
                > Link:
                > https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/
                >
                > I'm not sure including the OOC files in the deb update file would
                > really get you anything as its simple enough to d/l the files from
                > PCGen's website and PCGen does the actual install . . .
                >
                > Maredudd

              • Andrew Wilson
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 17, 2011
                  Although, it might be worth checking that installing an Out of cycle
                  dataset doesn't
                  make the debian package fall over when you upgrade it with apt.

                  andrew

                  On 17 March 2011 19:19, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
                  > Greetings!
                  >
                  > On Mar 17, 2011, at 2:05 PM, panayk wrote:
                  >
                  >> @UnclePete:
                  >> What is an out-of-cycle dataset? :-) Tell me and I'll see what I can do. ;-)
                  >>

                  > Out-of-Cycle data sets are data install files that contain data files that have been updated since the last stable release. These files can be installed directly into PCGen through the 'Install Data' function found under the 'Tools' menu. In general, the files provided by PCGen (link provided below) are intended for the latest stable release as the sets are generally incorporated into the general release during the developmental cycle, thus the sets are called 'Out-of-Cycle' data sets.
                  >
                  > Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/
                  >
                  > I'm not sure including the OOC files in the deb update file would really get you anything as its simple enough to d/l the files from PCGen's website and PCGen does the actual install . . .
                  >
                  > Maredudd

                  > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                • UnclePete
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 17, 2011
                    Hmmm. Good point.

                    If you install via apt (eg apt-get install pcgen) then install a dataset
                    using the pcgen tools, then install patches (eg apt-get upgrade) the
                    package should be OK. However, the code will break if one of the files
                    changed has already been replaced by the OoC dataset install.

                    The following scenario is also quite likely:
                    1. install pcgen via apt - contains dataset update 2
                    2. install dataset update 3 via pcgen tools
                    3. install dataset update 4 via pcgen tools
                    4. repository is patched to update3

                    On the next apt upgrade, PCGen will be regressed to update3...

                    Damn - sounded so good at first pass.

                    I think the only way this will ever work, is if the repositories are
                    under PCGen code release control, and were updated on the same schedule
                    as stable material is release to sourceforge for download. Anything else
                    could be messy...

                    Pete

                    On 03/18/2011 09:17 AM, Andrew Wilson wrote:

                    > Although, it might be worth checking that installing an Out of cycle
                    > dataset doesn't
                    > make the debian package fall over when you upgrade it with apt.
                    >
                    > andrew
                    >
                    > On 17 March 2011 19:19, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...
                    > <mailto:maredudd%40blackroot.org>> wrote:
                    > > Greetings!
                    > >
                    > > On Mar 17, 2011, at 2:05 PM, panayk wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> @UnclePete:
                    > >> What is an out-of-cycle dataset? :-) Tell me and I'll see what I
                    > can do. ;-)
                    > >>

                    > > Out-of-Cycle data sets are data install files that contain data
                    > files that have been updated since the last stable release. These
                    > files can be installed directly into PCGen through the 'Install Data'
                    > function found under the 'Tools' menu. In general, the files provided
                    > by PCGen (link provided below) are intended for the latest stable
                    > release as the sets are generally incorporated into the general
                    > release during the developmental cycle, thus the sets are called
                    > 'Out-of-Cycle' data sets.
                    > >
                    > > Link:
                    > https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/
                    > >
                    > > I'm not sure including the OOC files in the deb update file would
                    > really get you anything as its simple enough to d/l the files from
                    > PCGen's website and PCGen does the actual install . . .
                    > >
                    > > Maredudd
                    > >
                    > > ------------------------------------
                    > >
                    > > Related Lists
                    > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                    > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
                    > >
                    > > PCGen List File Help:
                    > >
                    > > PCGen Experimental:
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Martijn Verburg
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 7, 2011
                      Hi all,

                      Has anyone had a chance to test this package out yet? Unfortunately I don't
                      have a Debian based box...

                      On 17 March 2011 22:17, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:

                      > Although, it might be worth checking that installing an Out of cycle
                      > dataset doesn't
                      > make the debian package fall over when you upgrade it with apt.
                      >
                      > andrew
                      >

                      > On 17 March 2011 19:19, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
                      > > Greetings!
                      > >
                      > > On Mar 17, 2011, at 2:05 PM, panayk wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> @UnclePete:
                      > >> What is an out-of-cycle dataset? :-) Tell me and I'll see what I can do.
                      > ;-)
                      > >>

                      > > Out-of-Cycle data sets are data install files that contain data files
                      > that have been updated since the last stable release. These files can be
                      > installed directly into PCGen through the 'Install Data' function found
                      > under the 'Tools' menu. In general, the files provided by PCGen (link
                      > provided below) are intended for the latest stable release as the sets are
                      > generally incorporated into the general release during the developmental
                      > cycle, thus the sets are called 'Out-of-Cycle' data sets.
                      > >
                      > > Link:
                      > https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/
                      > >
                      > > I'm not sure including the OOC files in the deb update file would really
                      > get you anything as its simple enough to d/l the files from PCGen's website
                      > and PCGen does the actual install . . .
                      > >
                      > > Maredudd
                      > >
                      > > ------------------------------------
                      >

                      > > Related Lists
                      > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                      > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
                      > >
                      > > PCGen List File Help:
                      > >
                      > > PCGen Experimental:
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Martijn Verburg
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 7, 2011
                        Hi 'Uncle Pete'

                        Would you be able to post your discoveries at
                        http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-110

                        <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-110>That way we can keep a proper eye on
                        progress.

                        On 18 March 2011 00:32, UnclePete <uncle@...> wrote:

                        > Hmmm. Good point.
                        >
                        > If you install via apt (eg apt-get install pcgen) then install a dataset
                        > using the pcgen tools, then install patches (eg apt-get upgrade) the
                        > package should be OK. However, the code will break if one of the files
                        > changed has already been replaced by the OoC dataset install.
                        >
                        > The following scenario is also quite likely:
                        > 1. install pcgen via apt - contains dataset update 2
                        > 2. install dataset update 3 via pcgen tools
                        > 3. install dataset update 4 via pcgen tools
                        > 4. repository is patched to update3
                        >
                        > On the next apt upgrade, PCGen will be regressed to update3...
                        >
                        > Damn - sounded so good at first pass.
                        >
                        > I think the only way this will ever work, is if the repositories are
                        > under PCGen code release control, and were updated on the same schedule
                        > as stable material is release to sourceforge for download. Anything else
                        > could be messy...
                        >
                        > Pete
                        >
                        > On 03/18/2011 09:17 AM, Andrew Wilson wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Although, it might be worth checking that installing an Out of cycle
                        > > dataset doesn't
                        > > make the debian package fall over when you upgrade it with apt.
                        > >
                        > > andrew
                        > >
                        > > On 17 March 2011 19:19, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...
                        > > <mailto:maredudd%40blackroot.org>> wrote:
                        > > > Greetings!

                        > > can do. ;-)
                        > > >>

                        > > > Out-of-Cycle data sets are data install files that contain data
                        > > files that have been updated since the last stable release. These
                        > > files can be installed directly into PCGen through the 'Install Data'
                        > > function found under the 'Tools' menu. In general, the files provided
                        > > by PCGen (link provided below) are intended for the latest stable
                        > > release as the sets are generally incorporated into the general
                        > > release during the developmental cycle, thus the sets are called
                        > > 'Out-of-Cycle' data sets.
                        > > >
                        > > > Link:
                        > >
                        > https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm not sure including the OOC files in the deb update file would
                        > > really get you anything as its simple enough to d/l the files from
                        > > PCGen's website and PCGen does the actual install . . .
                        > > >
                        > > > Maredudd
                        > > >
                        > > > ------------------------------------
                        >

                        > > > Related Lists
                        > > > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                        > > > PCGen's Roadmap: http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Roadmap
                        > > > PCGen's Online Docs:
                        > > http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
                        > > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
                        > > http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html
                        > > >
                        > > > PCGen List File Help:
                        > > >
                        > > > PCGen Experimental:
                        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Martijn Verburg
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
                          Calling all Debian and/or Ubuntu users that are installing PCGen via the
                          .deb packaging system - we need a tester for this!

                        • Martijn Verburg
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 5, 2011
                            *Bump*

                            On 7 April 2011 18:44, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                            > Hi 'Uncle Pete'
                            >
                            > Would you be able to post your discoveries at
                            > http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-110
                            >
                            > <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-110>That way we can keep a proper eye
                            > on progress.

                            > On 18 March 2011 00:32, UnclePete <uncle@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> Hmmm. Good point.
                            >>
                            >> If you install via apt (eg apt-get install pcgen) then install a dataset
                            >> using the pcgen tools, then install patches (eg apt-get upgrade) the
                            >> package should be OK. However, the code will break if one of the files
                            >> changed has already been replaced by the OoC dataset install.
                            >>
                            >> The following scenario is also quite likely:
                            >> 1. install pcgen via apt - contains dataset update 2
                            >> 2. install dataset update 3 via pcgen tools
                            >> 3. install dataset update 4 via pcgen tools
                            >> 4. repository is patched to update3
                            >>
                            >> On the next apt upgrade, PCGen will be regressed to update3...
                            >>
                            >> Damn - sounded so good at first pass.
                            >>
                            >> I think the only way this will ever work, is if the repositories are
                            >> under PCGen code release control, and were updated on the same schedule
                            >> as stable material is release to sourceforge for download. Anything else
                            >> could be messy...
                            >>
                            >> Pete
                            >>
                            >> On 03/18/2011 09:17 AM, Andrew Wilson wrote:
                            >> >
                            >> > Although, it might be worth checking that installing an Out of cycle
                            >> > dataset doesn't
                            >> > make the debian package fall over when you upgrade it with apt.
                            >> >
                            >> > andrew

                            >> > can do. ;-)

                            >> > files that have been updated since the last stable release. These
                            >> > files can be installed directly into PCGen through the 'Install Data'
                            >> > function found under the 'Tools' menu. In general, the files provided
                            >> > by PCGen (link provided below) are intended for the latest stable
                            >> > release as the sets are generally incorporated into the general
                            >> > release during the developmental cycle, thus the sets are called
                            >> > 'Out-of-Cycle' data sets.

                            >> https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/

                            >> > really get you anything as its simple enough to d/l the files from
                            >> > PCGen's website and PCGen does the actual install . . .

                            >> > http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
                            >> > http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html

                          • distant_scholar
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 22, 2011
                              I'm no Ubuntu power-user, but I think I got this to install correctly. I think.

                              I got PCGen installed, and I got Sun Java installed, and I got Sun Java to be the default Java, and I can run PCGen. (There was a lot of things in the instructions that assumed you knew what you were doing with a Linux box. I don't. :-)

                              The PCGen window vanished (crashed?) not long after I started it both times I've tried it. But then, Firefox crashed a little after that, so it may be a problem with my computer, and not the installation.

                              DS/DL

                              > Calling all Debian and/or Ubuntu users that are installing PCGen via the
                              > .deb packaging system - we need a tester for this!

                              > On 7 April 2011 18:42, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Hi all,
                              > >
                              > > Has anyone had a chance to test this package out yet? Unfortunately I
                              > > don't have a Debian based box...

                              > > On 17 March 2011 22:17, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > >> Although, it might be worth checking that installing an Out of cycle
                              > >> dataset doesn't
                              > >> make the debian package fall over when you upgrade it with apt.
                              > >>
                              > >> andrew

                              > >> do. ;-)

                              > >> that have been updated since the last stable release. These files can be
                              > >> installed directly into PCGen through the 'Install Data' function found
                              > >> under the 'Tools' menu. In general, the files provided by PCGen (link
                              > >> provided below) are intended for the latest stable release as the sets are
                              > >> generally incorporated into the general release during the developmental
                              > >> cycle, thus the sets are called 'Out-of-Cycle' data sets.

                              > >> https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/

                              > >> get you anything as its simple enough to d/l the files from PCGen's website
                              > >> and PCGen does the actual install . . .

                              > >> http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
                              > >> http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html

                            • Martijn Verburg
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 24, 2011
                                Thanks for trying it out! Is there anybody else out there that is willing
                                to try? I think we need a few more successful run throughs before we start
                                adding it as an official release package.

                              • Adam Jefferiss
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 24, 2011
                                  I've got two different Ubuntu boxes I can try it on, if someone can point me
                                  towards the packages.

                                  I wouldn't mind making the deb packages for future releases if you need
                                  someone to do it.

                                  On 24 August 2011 11:09, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Thanks for trying it out! Is there anybody else out there that is willing
                                  > to try? I think we need a few more successful run throughs before we start
                                  > adding it as an official release package.

                                  > On 22 August 2011 16:54, distant_scholar <adventure@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > **
                                  > >

                                  > > I'm no Ubuntu power-user, but I think I got this to install correctly. I
                                  > > think.
                                  > >
                                  > > I got PCGen installed, and I got Sun Java installed, and I got Sun Java
                                  > > be the default Java, and I can run PCGen. (There was a lot of things in
                                  > the
                                  > > instructions that assumed you knew what you were doing with a Linux box.
                                  > > don't. :-)
                                  > >
                                  > > The PCGen window vanished (crashed?) not long after I started it both
                                  > times
                                  > > I've tried it. But then, Firefox crashed a little after that, so it may
                                  > be a
                                  > > problem with my computer, and not the installation.
                                  > >
                                  > > DS/DL
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Calling all Debian and/or Ubuntu users that are installing PCGen via
                                  > the
                                  > > > .deb packaging system - we need a tester for this!

                                  > > can

                                  > > files
                                  > can
                                  > > be
                                  > > found
                                  > (link
                                  > sets
                                  > > are
                                  > > developmental

                                  > > https://sourceforge.ne
                                  >
                                  > t/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Stable%20Datasets/5.16.4%20OOC%20Data%20Sets/

                                  > > really
                                  > > website

                                  > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php

                                  cromar: If there is a God, why does he/she allow disasters like earthquakes
                                  and Microsoft?
                                  dvice_null: Are you comparing a disaster that causes billions of dollars
                                  financial losses and thousands of people to lose their home every year, to a
                                  natural movement of tectonic plates? That's low.

                                • Martijn Verburg
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 24, 2011
                                    I think there are two options:

                                    Number 1:
                                    ----------------

                                    Hi, I have just prepared a .deb package of PCGen (version 5.16.4), for
                                    Debian Wheezy.

                                    The package names are pcgen and pcgen-data.

                                    To use it, add the following lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

                                    deb http://panayk.endofinternet.org/apt panayk-wheezy main
                                    deb-src http://panayk.endofinternet.org/apt panayk-wheezy main

                                    Then run:

                                    $ sudo aptitude update

                                    followed by:

                                    $ sudo aptitude install pcgen

                                    Number 2:
                                    ----------------

                                    For ubuntu specifically

                                    https://launchpad.net/~panayk/+archive/ppa

                                    Thanks!

                                  • Adam Jefferiss
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 24, 2011
                                      Installed via the PPA, I'll try the apt install on another machine later.

                                      I've had a few issues, the first being that it failed to load the
                                      opengaminglicense during the data file loading stage with the error message:

                                      SEVERE Could not find license at
                                      /usr/share/pcgen/system/opengaminglicense.10a.txt

                                      The only open game license I could find on my system was the HTML file:
                                      /usr/share/pcgen/docs/acknowledgments/ogllicense.html

                                      Next there was a number of illegal token errors:

                                      LSTERROR: Illegal Token 'LICENSE' <snip>

                                      Do you want me to raise these within a bug report?

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 24, 2011
                                        Hi Adam,

                                        Thanks for trying that out, looks like it's pretty close! Could you add
                                        your findings to http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-110. I'm CCing in the
                                        original packager to see if they're still able to help out.

                                        Thanks again!