Re: [pcgen] installing pathfinder apg error

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12, 2011
      On 11/03/2011 23:07, James Dempsey wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > The most likely issue is that you are running on windows 7 or vista and
      > the PCGen process does not have rights to update the files in the
      > install directory. When you want to do a data install, try running the
      > program as administrator (e.g. right click on icon and Run as
      > Administrator).

      James,

      running as Admin does indeed work, but the root of the problem is that
      PCGen writes data files into its own program tree, and so has inherently
      got problems on Vista/W7.

      A better solution is to intervene when installing, and replace the
      default install folder by a folder outside Program Files: e.g. install
      to C:\Games\PCGen or C:\PCGen
      That way, later, it is possible to add files to the PCGen folders or
      modify existing folders, without triggering UAC problems.

      (Best solution is to rework PCGen to place all writeable data outside
      the program folders, but I concede that's a bigger task.)

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"