Re: installing pathfinder apg error

  • manolet
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2011

      thanks that worked! Ok so now when i try to load sources. When I pick either pathfinder for GM or pathfinder for players, cavalier doesnt show up in my choices when creating a new character? I notice that APG and a few others are now in red font. what does this mean?

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2011

        Red means you don't qualify - i.e. another set would conflict.

        Character Traits and APG can't be used together, as an example.

        Basic Loader only loads up the Core Books, not the APG, which is where the Cavalier is.

        Unless someone added the APG to the basic loader screen, you either have to add it yourself or
        switch to the advanced screen and then add the data sets you want.

        Cheers,

        On 3/11/2011 3:40 PM, manolet wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > thanks that worked! Ok so now when i try to load sources. When I pick either pathfinder for GM or pathfinder for players, cavalier doesnt show up in my choices when creating a new character? I notice that APG and a few others are now in red font. what does this mean?
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey<jdempsey@...> wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> The most likely issue is that you are running on windows 7 or vista and
        >> the PCGen process does not have rights to update the files in the
        >> install directory. When you want to do a data install, try running the
        >> program as administrator (e.g. right click on icon and Run as
        >> Administrator).
        >>
        >> Cheers,
        >> James.
        >>

        >> On 12/03/2011 9:47 AM manolet wrote
        >>> Hope you guys can help me out.
        >>>
        >>> downloaded and installed 5.16.4 windows 7. I downloaded the 5164 alpha update pcz and zip file. I tried to install it by using the install data option.
        >>>
        >>> I get a dialogue box asking if i want to overwrite existing files. I click yes. I get the error:
        >>>
        >>> The file c:\...\pcgent5164\data/alpha/paizo..../ogl.txt could not be written. Installation failed.
        >>>
        >>> So whats up with this? is the forward and backward slash have anything to do with it?

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • Saxum Caribetum
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2011
          On 11/03/2011 23:07, James Dempsey wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > The most likely issue is that you are running on windows 7 or vista and
          > the PCGen process does not have rights to update the files in the
          > install directory. When you want to do a data install, try running the
          > program as administrator (e.g. right click on icon and Run as
          > Administrator).

          James,

          running as Admin does indeed work, but the root of the problem is that
          PCGen writes data files into its own program tree, and so has inherently
          got problems on Vista/W7.

          A better solution is to intervene when installing, and replace the
          default install folder by a folder outside Program Files: e.g. install
          to C:\Games\PCGen or C:\PCGen
          That way, later, it is possible to add files to the PCGen folders or
          modify existing folders, without triggering UAC problems.

          (Best solution is to rework PCGen to place all writeable data outside
          the program folders, but I concede that's a bigger task.)

          --
          Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"