pathfinder - animal companion partial implementation

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2011
      Using Pcgen 5.16.4 + apg update 0.3
      "PFRPG for game masters"

      I was changing a ranger's animal companion from hawk to rhino - and hit
      a problem: not all of the creatures (followers and mounts) with the name
      "Companion (x)" are available under the list of actual Companions.
      This affects

      * Ape
      * Bat (Dire)
      * Bear
      * Boar
      * Cat (Big (Lion))
      * Cat (Big (Tiger))
      * Crocodile
      * Dinosaur
      o ankylosaurus
      o brachiosaurus
      o deinonychus
      o elasmosaurus
      o pteranodon
      o stegosaurus
      o triceratops
      o tyranosaurus
      o velociraptor
      * Dolphin (Orca)
      * Dolphin
      * Eel (electric)
      * Eel (Giant Moray)
      * Elephant (Mastodon)
      * frog (Giant)
      * Goblin Dog
      * Herd Animal (Aurochs)
      * Hyaena
      * Lizard (monitor)
      * Octopus
      * Rhinoceros
      * Roc
      * Squid

      All of the above have been implemented as Follower and as Mount (even
      "snake (viper)" !!), but *not* as actual Animal Companion, so a
      Range/Druid can't take them as such, nor advance them by their own level.

      Anyone know how to fix this, so they are recognised as proper Animal
      Companion? Indeed, is the rest of their implementation in there?

      (Note: Companion (Shadow) is unique to ShadowDancer prestige class and
      *not* an Animal Companion!)

      While we are at it - if she selects the Rhino, and wants to ride it, and
      selects Mount = Companion (Rhino), should the rhino mount be the same as
      the rhino companion? Will it automatically share stats?

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

    • Saxum Caribetum
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2011
        On 05/02/2011 14:50, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
        > Using Pcgen 5.16.4 + apg update 0.3
        > "PFRPG for game masters"
        >
        > I was changing a ranger's animal companion from hawk to rhino - and hit
        > a problem: not all of the creatures (followers and mounts) with the name
        > "Companion (x)" are available under the list of actual Companions.
        > This affects

        Aha!

        a randomly created new Druid has *All* of the above,
        but a randomly created new Ranger lacks all the one I listed and only
        has the Animal Companions listed in the PFRPG

        Sounds like the problem is a simple one of letting Rangers have access
        to all the companions a druid might have (at -3 level).

        --
        Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2011
          That would be a house-rule. James Jacobs mentioned that on the Paizo
          boards somewhere in answer to that exact issue. At the time I was
          thinking about just that for an upcoming campaign and did the research.
          Sorry, don't have a link.

          -- david
          Papa.DRB

          My better half and me
          Love Me If You Can by Toby Keith

          Rule of thumb for software: The first 80% of the development takes 80%
          of the planned time. The last 20% takes the other 80%.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2011

            Rangers don't have the same selection of companions, I was the one that coded them up.

            In order to add new companions to the Ranger, you need to modify the ability that grants the Animal
            Companions.