Negative Intelligence Modifier and Skills

  • Terry Milnes
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
      I made a Oracle for a player in my group who has a 8 INT. His skills
      should be 4+ -1=3, but he is getting the full 4. He is a human, but
      replaced the skilled class ability with Heart of the Wilderness and I
      would like to know if this is what is causing him to gain the extra
      skill point as Skilled is not truly being removed or if PC-Gen does
      not handle the negative INT mod properly. How would I go about
      checking this?
    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
        What PCGen level, what datasets?

        -- david
        Papa.DRB

        My better half and me
        Love Me If You Can by Toby Keith

        Rule of thumb for software: The first 80% of the development takes 80%
        of the planned time. The last 20% takes the other 80%.

        On 2/2/2011 1:02 PM, Terry Milnes wrote:
        > I made a Oracle for a player in my group who has a 8 INT. His skills
        > should be 4+ -1=3, but he is getting the full 4. He is a human, but
        > replaced the skilled class ability with Heart of the Wilderness and I
        > would like to know if this is what is causing him to gain the extra
        > skill point as Skilled is not truly being removed or if PC-Gen does
        > not handle the negative INT mod properly. How would I go about
        > checking this?

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
          Yea, it is the old INT thingy where the INT is "frozen" as soon as you
          give a class level.

          Create the character, give him the stats, and *BEFORE* adding the level
          1 Oracle, swap out the Skilled for Heart of the Wilderness. It works then.

          -- david
          Papa.DRB

          My better half and me
          Love Me If You Can by Toby Keith

          Rule of thumb for software: The first 80% of the development takes 80%
          of the planned time. The last 20% takes the other 80%.

          On 2/2/2011 1:02 PM, Terry Milnes wrote:
          > I made a Oracle for a player in my group who has a 8 INT. His skills
          > should be 4+ -1=3, but he is getting the full 4. He is a human, but
          > replaced the skilled class ability with Heart of the Wilderness and I
          > would like to know if this is what is causing him to gain the extra
          > skill point as Skilled is not truly being removed or if PC-Gen does
          > not handle the negative INT mod properly. How would I go about
          > checking this?

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        • Stefan Radermacher
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
            On 02.02.2011 19:12, David R. Bender wrote:
            > Yea, it is the old INT thingy where the INT is "frozen" as soon as you
            > give a class level.
            >
            > Create the character, give him the stats, and *BEFORE* adding the level
            > 1 Oracle, swap out the Skilled for Heart of the Wilderness. It works then.

            Actually, the old INT thingy with INT has been fixed as of PCGen 5.17.5,
            at least for Pathfinder. Changing the INT score will now retroactively
            affect your skill points.

            For 35e it's correct as it was, and so it's not changing for 35e.

            Regards,
            Stefan.
          • David R. Bender
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
              Not the issue.

              Create a human character with a 10 int. Give it a level of Oracle (I
              think anything with do), and in the human racial traits, remove skilled
              and replace it with Heart of the Wilderness. You are still being given
              the +1 human skill point.

              Same situation, but replace skilled before the level up and it works.

              I am using 5.17.5 and, yup the retroactive int works. Now to get the
              wizard in my group to upgrade...

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
                If I open the .pcg in 5.17.5 will it fix it, or will I have to start over?

              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 16, 2011
                  Bump :)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 16, 2011
                    This works if done properly. Problem is knowing what needs to happen when.