Re: [pcgen] language suggestion

  • Robert Hilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2001
      ok i have (and thought i uploaded) the fr races, these have the listed starting
      languages,and one regional lang. also the optional lang they can choose is
      based on the regional (especially the demihumans that come from certian areas.
      further than that, i dont know.

      =====
      Robert Hilson
      http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • John Pyrich
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2001
        --- In pcgen@egroups.com, "C. Chaplin" <gauss@v...> wrote:

        > Currently races are alloted an automatic language selection. For
        > those users (such as myself :) who wish to use the FR Guidelines
        > humans don't always automatically speak Common, but have languages
        > dependant on what region they're from.

        I'm unfamiliar with the FR Guidelines. Are those for 3e?
        I have the same problem with my campaign world. I'm just going to
        remove the LANGAUTO for all of the races in my campaign and give the
        players an additional skill point to use in the program.

        In regard to languages, here's something that I discovered while
        using the Wizard's program. Languages added using skill points are
        listed under skills so you can always audit the skill points used.
        The languages also appear under Languages Spoken so you can't choose
        it twice by accident. That's kind of slick and would help close the
        bug when you delete a language purchased with skill points. Just a
        thought.

        > Would it be possible to implement instead some kind of "slot"
        > method? For example, say a human has one slot but initially is
        > only allowed to begin play speaking Smurfish (due to the region
        > he/she comes from).

        *If* this is changed here is a suggestion.

        Add a tag to give a race additional languages slots (added to
        the INT number. You then can remove the LANGAUTO for that race, add
        your set of racial languages to LANGBONUS and you're set. This might
        work nicely for the future as well.

        See Bryan! I *can* keep it under 30. ;-)

        John
      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2001
          --- In pcgen@egroups.com, "John Pyrich" <pyrich@c...> wrote:
          > --- In pcgen@egroups.com, "C. Chaplin" <gauss@v...> wrote:
          >
          > > Currently races are alloted an automatic language selection. For
          > > those users (such as myself :) who wish to use the FR Guidelines
          > > humans don't always automatically speak Common, but have languages
          > > dependant on what region they're from.

          Technically, with the CAMPAIGN tags now available you could
          create multiple entries for Human based on their region
          (Gold Coast Human, Big Ear Human) and specify a different
          LANGAUTO for each. Or you could go the way John describes
          below (which is better because then Human is printed out
          wherever the Race is listed). This assumes that the players
          know what language is required of them when they create their
          character. I don't think I currently support an initial number
          of languages for bonus selection (the number comes solely from
          your intelligence), but this is easy to add and seems like a good
          fit for this kind of problem.

          > I'm unfamiliar with the FR Guidelines. Are those for 3e?
          > I have the same problem with my campaign world. I'm just going to
          > remove the LANGAUTO for all of the races in my campaign and give the
          > players an additional skill point to use in the program.
          >
          > In regard to languages, here's something that I discovered while
          > using the Wizard's program. Languages added using skill points are
          > listed under skills so you can always audit the skill points used.
          > The languages also appear under Languages Spoken so you can't choose
          > it twice by accident. That's kind of slick and would help close the
          > bug when you delete a language purchased with skill points. Just a
          > thought.

          Hm - actually that would be easy to add. I didn't keep track of
          which languages you learned due to skill because it seemed
          like an unnecessary task since it was added to the Language list.
          I'll add this to my list as well.

          > > Would it be possible to implement instead some kind of "slot"
          > > method? For example, say a human has one slot but initially is
          > > only allowed to begin play speaking Smurfish (due to the region
          > > he/she comes from).
          >
          > *If* this is changed here is a suggestion.
          >
          > Add a tag to give a race additional languages slots (added to
          > the INT number. You then can remove the LANGAUTO for that race, add
          > your set of racial languages to LANGBONUS and you're set. This might
          > work nicely for the future as well.
          >
          > See Bryan! I *can* keep it under 30. ;-)

          My To Do list thanks you. ;)

          -Bryan