New to this :(

  • victoria_the_vampire23
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
      So basically I've never played dnd before and some friends invited me to play. The thought of using the paper character sheet bugs me so I wanted to find a digital program to help. PCGen seems AWESOME except I can't figure out how to add more races, the race I want to be is Aventi from the books Stormwrack...I'm sorry if the answer is in front of my face I'm just getting so annoyed.

      thanks
      newbface tiff
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
        Hi "newbface tiff",

        Welcome to the PCGen Community. :)

        PCGen only includes things that are permissioned by the publishers. Hence we have a Lot of 3rd party
        d20 "splat-books". When it comes to Wizards of the Coast [WotC] the only material we're permissioned
        for is the Content they put forth in the OGL [Open Game License], which is the R/SRD and MSRD. Those
        stand for the 'System Resource Document' [3rd edition core rules], Revised System Resource Document
        [3.5 edition core rules] and Modern System Resource Document [Modern System Core Rules].

        That means all the 'Complete' books, Campaign Settings, and Environmental Location-Based Books
        aren't permissioned for us. That also includes specially licensed settings - 'Dark Sun', 'Star
        Wars', etc.

        Now, here's the good news. PCGen is extensible and designed to be easy to add your own custom
        content, which can include that 'Closed Content' material if you are willing to take the time to
        learn. We even have an entire Yahoo Group dedicated to assisting users, such as yourself, to make
        such races, items, feats, spells, etc. to your hearts' content. Our only ground rules are the following:
        1) Do not ask for, nor solicit for/or to share any such closed content items. - You may make your
        own, but don't use PCGen Yahoo Groups to try and ask for any other user made items, or offer such
        items to the community.
        [We respect the wishes of the Publisher, and even though it seems harsh, we don't want the image of
        promoting any such behavior].
        2) We respectfully request that when you ask for help, that you try to couch it in terms of
        mechanics you are having issue with duplicating on your own, while avoiding the name of the item in
        question. However, we understand it's easier for our users to ask for help and not know that policy,
        so it's not a big deal if you ask using the name. It's merely a request.

        Myself and the other community members are here to assist if you'd like.

        Cheers,

        On 1/4/2011 6:36 PM, victoria_the_vampire23 wrote:
        > So basically I've never played dnd before and some friends invited me to play. The thought of using the paper character sheet bugs me so I wanted to find a digital program to help. PCGen seems AWESOME except I can't figure out how to add more races, the race I want to be is Aventi from the books Stormwrack...I'm sorry if the answer is in front of my face I'm just getting so annoyed.
        >
        > thanks
        > newbface tiff

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • Ragabash Moon
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2011
          So, Paizo has actually given PCGen permission to use Pathfinder, or does it all
          fall under OGL since it's 3rd party?

          'Take my love, take my land, I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the
          sky from me. Take me out to the Black, tell them I ain't comin' back, burn the
          land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can
          be, since I've found Serenity, you can't take the sky from me." -- Joss Whedon,
          Ballad of Serenity

          RagabashMoon@...

          ________________________________
          PCGen only includes things that are permissioned by the publishers. Hence we
          have a Lot of 3rd party

          d20 "splat-books". When it comes to Wizards of the Coast [WotC] the only
          material we're permissioned

          for is the Content they put forth in the OGL [Open Game License], which is the
          R/SRD and MSRD. Those

          stand for the 'System Resource Document' [3rd edition core rules], Revised
          System Resource Document

          [3.5 edition core rules] and Modern System Resource Document [Modern System Core
          Rules].

          That means all the 'Complete' books, Campaign Settings, and Environmental
          Location-Based Books

          aren't permissioned for us. That also includes specially licensed settings -
          'Dark Sun', 'Star

          Wars', etc.

          Now, here's the good news. PCGen is extensible and designed to be easy to add
          your own custom

          content, which can include that 'Closed Content' material if you are willing to
          take the time to

          learn. We even have an entire Yahoo Group dedicated to assisting users, such as
          yourself, to make

          such races, items, feats, spells, etc. to your hearts' content. Our only ground
          rules are the following:
          1) Do not ask for, nor solicit for/or to share any such closed content items. -
          You may make your

          own, but don't use PCGen Yahoo Groups to try and ask for any other user made
          items, or offer such

          items to the community.
          [We respect the wishes of the Publisher, and even though it seems harsh, we
          don't want the image of

          promoting any such behavior].
          2) We respectfully request that when you ask for help, that you try to couch it
          in terms of

          mechanics you are having issue with duplicating on your own, while avoiding the
          name of the item in

          question. However, we understand it's easier for our users to ask for help and
          not know that policy,

          so it's not a big deal if you ask using the name. It's merely a request.

          Myself and the other community members are here to assist if you'd like.

          Cheers,

          On 1/4/2011 6:36 PM, victoria_the_vampire23 wrote:
          > So basically I've never played dnd before and some friends invited me to play.
          >The thought of using the paper character sheet bugs me so I wanted to find a
          >digital program to help. PCGen seems AWESOME except I can't figure out how to
          >add more races, the race I want to be is Aventi from the books Stormwrack...I'm
          >sorry if the answer is in front of my face I'm just getting so annoyed.
          >
          > thanks
          > newbface tiff

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
          > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
          >http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html

        • Jonathan M. Thompson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2011
            Yes they, along with all the other publishers represented, gave permission
            Jonathan M. Thompson