Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

PCGen Board of Directors Meeting for December 6th, 2010

Expand Messages
  • Andrew Maitland
    [17:03] Hi All, Welcome to the PCGen BoD meeting. I m the temporary Chair while Andrew is AFK [17:04] We re currently not at a
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2010
      [17:03] <[Arch_SB]thpr> Hi All, Welcome to the PCGen BoD meeting. I'm the temporary Chair while
      Andrew is AFK
      [17:04] <[Arch_SB]thpr> We're currently not at a quorum (for those keeping track)
      [17:04] <[Arch_SB]thpr> We'll start with team reports. You want to go first, James?
      [17:04] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Sure
      [17:05] <jamesd[Code_SB]> On the bugs front we have had 20 created and 14 resolved. Many of those
      created are created by the code team though as notes for future work
      [17:05] *** Thoth___ has joined #pcgen
      [17:06] <jamesd[Code_SB]> There has been a little progress on the new UI, with some work done on the
      preferences dialog and associated persistence of prefs
      [17:06] <jamesd[Code_SB]> I'll leave CDOM reports for Tom
      [17:06] <jamesd[Code_SB]> No progress on other sub-projects.
      [17:07] <jamesd[Code_SB]> However we have had a production release from the trunk for the first time
      in a while and we are aiming to keep up that momentum
      [17:07] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Any questions?
      [17:07] <[Arch_SB]thpr> not from me
      [17:08] <jamesd[Code_SB]> k, that's all from me then
      [17:08] <[Arch_SB]thpr> thanks, James
      [17:09] <[Arch_SB]thpr> On the CDOM front I've been doing some exploration of next steps, but really
      waiting on additional test cases before I commit to moving any more code.
      [17:09] <[Arch_SB]thpr> (Next target is the cloning of abilities)
      [17:09] <[Arch_SB]thpr> Drew is working on those test cases now (thanks!)
      [17:10] <[Arch_SB]thpr> In the interim, I've been updating the loader tokens to the 'new' style
      tokens to simplify out the loader system in the persistence package. So there are significantly
      less classes in there now
      [17:11] <[Arch_SB]thpr> That work will continue, and should unwind the vast majority of classes in
      that package (most of those not in the prereq subpackages anyway)
      [17:11] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Great to see
      [17:11] <[Arch_SB]thpr> It does bring up some issues we may want to bring up at a code team meeting
      at some point
      [17:12] <[Arch_SB]thpr> For example, there seems to be some data that is not related to GameMode,
      but we store it in game mode files... so there is potential discusison of do we need a SystemContext
      to store those items vs. storing in ModeContext etc.
      [17:13] <[Arch_SB]thpr> There are also a few issues (e.g. the FEAT AbilityCategory and the
      localization items - CODE-418 and CODE-417) that we will probably want to hash out in a cross-team
      working meeting at some point
      [17:14] <[Arch_SB]thpr> So as we figure out schedules, we should think about whether we can use one
      of those BoDs as a working meeting (or at least that's my proposal)
      [17:14] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Might be difficult to organise this side of Christmas though
      [17:14] <[Arch_SB]thpr> oh gosh
      [17:14] <jamesd[Code_SB]> That could work
      [17:14] <[Arch_SB]thpr> I wouldn't try
      [17:14] <jamesd[Code_SB]> k :)
      [17:15] <[Arch_SB]thpr> neither is a firedrill, and we should properly gather topics and give people
      fair warning since it will probably be a pretty good group we're trying to get in one place
      [17:15] <[Arch_SB]thpr> that's my report, any questions?
      [17:16] <jamesd[Code_SB]> none from me
      [17:16] <[Arch_SB]thpr> on to agenda topics then.
      [17:16] <[Arch_SB]thpr> 1) Next Trunk Release
      [17:16] <[Arch_SB]thpr> any thoughts on that James?
      [17:17] <[Arch_SB]thpr> (a few weeks, a month)? What should we use as the checkpoint
      [17:17] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Schedule is for this weekend - happy to do that
      [17:17] <[Arch_SB]thpr> ok
      [17:18] <[Arch_SB]thpr> it's been so long since we've been on a 2 week schedule :)
      [17:18] <[Arch_SB]thpr> just seems really fast
      [17:18] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Yeah might try it for a bit :)
      [17:18] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Yeah it does come around quickly
      [17:18] <[Arch_SB]thpr> Makes me not break stuff as often :)
      [17:19] <[Arch_SB]thpr> 2) When to Begin new rotation schedule [BoD meeting schedule]
      [17:19] <[Arch_SB]thpr> My proposal would be with the first meeting of the new year (since there is
      only 1 more in 2010 and the current date is nicely spaced from the holidays)
      [17:20] <jamesd[Code_SB]> That sounds like a good plan to me
      [17:20] <[Arch_SB]thpr> Also gives us opportunity to avoid the 3rd, which is probably a holiday for
      most folks (at least in the US)
      [17:20] <jamesd[Code_SB]> yep it is here also
      [17:21] <[Arch_SB]thpr> I'll double check we have sufficient times on the Wiki to choose days and
      then send some proposed dates to the BoD list
      [17:22] *** afk_andrew is now known as [Chair]Andrew
      [17:22] <[Arch_SB]thpr> I think the other items need a quorum
      [17:22] <[Arch_SB]thpr> so we will defer those
      [17:23] <[Arch_SB]thpr> Andrew's back to chair the open forum!
      [17:23] <[Arch_SB]thpr> or give his reports if he'd like
      [17:23] <@[Chair]Andrew> AWESOME :)
      [17:23] <@[Chair]Andrew> Yeah, I'll give the Team Reports for Admin and Data
      [17:24] <@[Chair]Andrew> Admin - Web: We have a working Mailing List/Forum, we're currently beta
      testing to see if it'll meet our high demands.
      [17:24] *** Papa-DRB has joined #pcgen
      [17:24] <@[Chair]Andrew> Admin - Release: I think James covered the next Release at a glance.
      [17:25] *** Papa-DRB is now known as Papa-DRB[Ad_2nd]
      [17:25] <@[Chair]Andrew> Admin - Trackers: We're still waiting on Team Leads for migration. Code
      Freqs and Docs are two of the major ones.
      [17:26] <@[Chair]Andrew> Content - Data: We're working on clearing a few sets in the pipeline and
      finishing others that need work.
      [17:26] <@[Chair]Andrew> I didn't see much on the Docs Side.
      [17:27] <@[Chair]Andrew> and OS: Chuck has been doing tweaks and fixes as he can.
      [17:28] <@[Chair]Andrew> That's all the reports I can think of off the top of my head.
      [17:28] <@[Chair]Andrew> any questions
      [17:28] <@[Chair]Andrew> ?
      [17:28] *** BPIJonathan has joined #pcgen
      [17:29] <[Arch_SB]thpr> on the Content side, I'd note that there are a good set of NEWTAG entries
      waiting for docs
      [17:29] <[Arch_SB]thpr> They have been implemented, but no docs in place as of yet, so the
      capabilities of the new CHOOSE tokens, for example, aren't in the docs
      [17:29] <@[Chair]Andrew> We'll need to get those trackered then
      [17:29] <[Arch_SB]thpr> they ARE trackered
      [17:30] <[Arch_SB]thpr> they are NEWTAG entries
      [17:30] <[Arch_SB]thpr> We had a big problem in the old tracker system with doc trackers not being
      created, etc.
      [17:30] <[Arch_SB]thpr> So the new process is that NEWTAG stops after "Implemented" and the next
      step is not "Closed", it's "Documented"
      [17:30] <[Arch_SB]thpr> So the docs team needs to know that anything in "Implemented" is waiting on Docs
      [17:31] <[Arch_SB]thpr> That's the business process flow we set up to ensure token changes are
      documented
      [17:31] <@[Chair]Andrew> Gotcha, we should change the next step to Needs Documentation then.
      [17:31] <[Arch_SB]thpr> The status is "Implemented", I'm not sure we'd want to change that
      [17:31] <@[Chair]Andrew> and force it to be assigned to a Doc Monkey or over to the Content SB for
      assignment
      [17:32] <[Arch_SB]thpr> Eric would have to speak to whether he wants automatic assignment
      [17:32] <@[Chair]Andrew> Implemented can stay, but then have the step after that to NEEDS DOC
      [17:32] <[Arch_SB]thpr> The button is "Start Documentation"
      [17:32] <@[Chair]Andrew> James and I can figure out the best method to make that flow easier.
      [17:33] <@[Chair]Andrew> David, welcome to the meeting, we're doing catch up for us late guys ;)
      [17:33] <@[Chair]Andrew> Anything you'd like to cover for the Advertising Team and / or PR?
      [17:34] *** Maredudd has joined #pcgen
      [17:35] <@[Chair]Andrew> Or Eric can cover the PR stuff ;)
      [17:35] *** Maredudd is now known as [PR]Maredudd
      [17:36] <jamesd[Code_SB]> on the web side, I'll be doing an upgrade to JIRA within the next week.
      I'll give a short advance notification of the outage
      [17:36] <[PR]Maredudd> Sorry I'm late. Just got hoe from work.
      [17:36] <@[Chair]Andrew> [It's contagious, I had the same issue]
      [17:36] <jamesd[Code_SB]> and Anestis and I are looking at the Hudson outage - tomcat was
      uninstalled from uner us due to a software upgrade
      [17:37] <[Arch_SB]thpr> That reminds me, can we rewind to code for a minute?
      [17:38] <@[Chair]Andrew> sure
      [17:39] <[Arch_SB]thpr> A few of the character unit tests are currently reporting as broken. James,
      when you get a chance can you look at these? I actually think some of the changes I did fixed
      something that has long been incorrect
      [17:39] <[Arch_SB]thpr> I think it would have happened at SVN 14066, fixing CODE-416
      [17:39] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Yes happy to do that - I'll run a full build tonight
      [17:40] <[Arch_SB]thpr> thanks
      [17:40] <[Arch_SB]thpr> ok, back to our regularly scheduled program
      [17:41] <@[Chair]Andrew> Eric, would you like to hit the PR report?
      [17:41] <[PR]Maredudd> Ok.
      [17:42] <[PR]Maredudd> The Advertising Team has a 2nd! Thanks David for stepping up.
      [17:43] <[PR]Maredudd> Press releases for all recent releases have gone out to the regular outlets.
      [17:44] <[PR]Maredudd> All thanks to David!
      [17:45] <[PR]Maredudd> There really isn't anythng else for PR right now other than some recent
      communications with Publishers that has already been reported on the BoD list.
      [17:46] <[Arch_SB]thpr> did you see the item on _exp about someone starting a book
      [17:46] <[Arch_SB]thpr> I didn't see that publisher on our current list
      [17:47] <[PR]Maredudd> No, I didn't. I'll cheeck it out.
      [17:47] <[Arch_SB]thpr> message 13912
      [17:48] <[PR]Maredudd> Oh yes, I saw that. IWe will need to persue permissions if we are to
      inludethat material.
      [17:49] <[Arch_SB]thpr> yea, I figured that was yours to chase :)
      [17:49] <[PR]Maredudd> :-)
      [17:49] <[PR]Maredudd> On it.
      [17:50] <[PR]Maredudd> Any other questions?
      [17:51] <@[Chair]Andrew> No questions from me.
      [17:51] <jamesd[Code_SB]> None here
      [17:51] <[Arch_SB]thpr> nope
      [17:51] <[PR]Maredudd> Back to Andrew.
      [17:51] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, quick recap for those who missed the beginning
      [17:52] <@[Chair]Andrew> Team Reports
      [17:52] <@[Chair]Andrew> James DIscussed UI work
      [17:52] <@[Chair]Andrew> Tom hit upon the CDOM work
      [17:52] <@[Chair]Andrew> New Meeting Times Rotation
      [17:53] <@[Chair]Andrew> I got back hit the Admin and Content Report
      [17:53] <@[Chair]Andrew> And that's about where you came in Eric.
      [17:53] <[Arch_SB]thpr> So on the new meeting times, the working proposal was to start in the new
      year, doing Dec 20 as scheduled
      [17:53] <[PR]Maredudd> Missed everything didn't I! :-)
      [17:54] <@[Chair]Andrew> That sounds like a good plan
      [17:54] <[Arch_SB]thpr> but not doing Jan 3 (holiday), rather setting up something on another geo's
      schedule
      [17:54] <[Arch_SB]thpr> and James is doing the next trunk release this coming weekend
      [17:55] <@[Chair]Andrew> However, I had proposed a six week schedule... Yahoo can't handle 6 weeks
      [17:55] <[Arch_SB]thpr> well, you may get to do them by hand :(
      [17:55] <@[Chair]Andrew> so, regular time every 4 weeks, and then one of the alts between those (4
      weeks).
      [17:55] <[Arch_SB]thpr> why
      [17:55] <[Arch_SB]thpr> we shouldn't let Yahoo dictate our schedule based on it's capabilities
      [17:55] <@[Chair]Andrew> Reminder Email - Consistency.
      [17:56] <@[Chair]Andrew> I'm in favor of either, but automation does make life a bit easier
      [17:57] <[Arch_SB]thpr> I think catering to our international members is more important, but we can
      have the discussion
      [17:57] <[Arch_SB]thpr> I should say "non-USA members", sorry folks
      [17:58] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, we can puzzle it out... I'd hardly call Barak a Non-USA member... ;)
      [17:59] <jamesd[Code_SB]> Oh I don't mind international
      [17:59] <@[Chair]Andrew> But agreed, we should try to get everyone involved as often as possible
      [18:00] <@[Chair]Andrew> Unless anyone has further discussion on what has come before, I'm ready for
      open Forum.
      [18:01] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay Open Forum: First Item I'd like to come up with, James is willing to
      push the meeting time back an hour.
      [18:02] <@[Chair]Andrew> I'd really prefer that for the USA-friendly schedule as it lessens my
      chance of being late (Same for David and Eric it would seem as well).
      [18:02] <[Arch_SB]thpr> I can do 9-11
      [18:03] <Papa-DRB[Ad_2nd]> Me also... My home group meets Monday from 6pm-9pm, but 9-11 is fine
      [18:05] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, if people are okay with it, then I'd like that.
      [18:05] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay, next person. :)
      [18:06] <@[Chair]Andrew> Thoth had a question
      [18:06] <Thoth___> I was wondering what "Cloning" of abilities was about; one of the more convenient
      items for Eclipse is cutting-and-pasting power packages once you've designed them for one character.
      Any relationship to that sort of thing?
      [18:07] <[Arch_SB]thpr> it's an internal statement regarding Java and how items are applied to a PC
      [18:08] <Thoth___> Oh well; unrelated then.
      [18:10] <@[Chair]Andrew> anyone else have anything?
      [18:12] <[PR]Maredudd> Nothing from me
      [18:12] <[Arch_SB]thpr> nope
      [18:12] <@[Chair]Andrew> Okay folks. Thanks for coming. This concludes the meeting.

      --
      Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      Admin Silverback - PCGen Board of Directors
      Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
      Unique Title "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
      Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.