Mac help for a non-Mac user

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2010
      A new player in my tabletop group has a Mac and I do not know the first
      thing about it. As he came in the last campaign near the end, I just
      kept his character sheet for him and printed it out. Now that we are
      about to embark on two new campaigns (alternate weeks, different DMs), I
      would like to get him setup on his home machine so he can do his own
      "bookkeeping".

      1- My "understanding" is that he would have to download the Mac build
      and install(?) it on his machine.That would be the
      pcgen5174_mac_install.dmg, right?
      2- Also, I would want to completely replace the Data directory. A simple
      delete his Data directory and copy the new one from a USB drive?
      3- I have a preview file and some character sheets. Same as #2, just
      copy from a USB drive?
      4- My "assumption" is the .pcg files are compatible between Operating
      Systems, right? All players have to send the updated .pcg to the
      appropriate DM.
      5- Can I just have him copy the filepaths.ini & options.ini to his Mac,
      or do those files have no meaning in that environment, and if they don't
      how do I help him?

      I really hope that he has a laptop and can bring it, but I am not sure
      about that so as much detail as you can go into would be helpful. Also,
      out of the six of us at the table, including me, he is the *only*
      non-programmer / IT person in the group (he is an artist) so please take
      that into account.

      thanks,

      --

      David
      Papa.DRB

      Grognard (definition 1) <http://mysite.verizon.net/vze16ni4g/Grognard.html>
      My better half and me
    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2010
        Hi Folks,

        David R. Bender wrote:
        > A new player in my tabletop group has a Mac and I do not know the first
        > thing about it. As he came in the last campaign near the end, I just
        > kept his character sheet for him and printed it out. Now that we are
        > about to embark on two new campaigns (alternate weeks, different DMs), I
        > would like to get him setup on his home machine so he can do his own
        > "bookkeeping".

        The good news is that once things are set up the character files are seamlessly compatible. The only problem I've ever had was players not following my instrctions on which data sets were allowed. (One in particular figured as long as PCGen had the set he might as well use it . . . )

        > 1- My "understanding" is that he would have to download the Mac build
        > and install(?) it on his machine.That would be the
        > pcgen5174_mac_install.dmg, right?

        If that is the version the rest of the group is using then your Mac user should use that as well.

        > 2- Also, I would want to completely replace the Data directory. A simple
        > delete his Data directory and copy the new one from a USB drive?
        > 3- I have a preview file and some character sheets. Same as #2, just
        > copy from a USB drive?

        Replacing the data folder is fine. Are there any other local changes to your version? Output Sheets? Gamemode changes? any customization to the files inside PCGen that you have made must also be moved over.

        > 4- My "assumption" is the .pcg files are compatible between Operating
        > Systems, right? All players have to send the updated .pcg to the
        > appropriate DM.

        The pcg files are compatible.

        > 5- Can I just have him copy the filepaths.ini & options.ini to his Mac,
        > or do those files have no meaning in that environment, and if they don't
        > how do I help him?

        I'm not certain this would be a good idea. The paths to this file may differ. It is probably better to let help you player configure his machine directly.

        > I really hope that he has a laptop and can bring it, but I am not sure
        > about that so as much detail as you can go into would be helpful. Also,
        > out of the six of us at the table, including me, he is the *only*
        > non-programmer / IT person in the group (he is an artist) so please take
        > that into account.

        ~ Eric C Smith (Maredudd)
        ~ Documentation 2nd, Data Gibbon
        ~ PL Chimp, OGL Gibbon
        ~ Tracker Gibbon, Website Tamarin
        ~ Tenacious Monkey
        ~ Face melioram personam
      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2010
          On 12/4/2010 1:05 PM, Eric C Smith wrote:
          > Hi Folks,
          >
          > David R. Bender wrote:
          >> 2- Also, I would want to completely replace the Data directory. A simple
          >> delete his Data directory and copy the new one from a USB drive?
          >> 3- I have a preview file and some character sheets. Same as #2, just
          >> copy from a USB drive?
          > Replacing the data folder is fine. Are there any other local changes to your version? Output Sheets? Gamemode changes? any customization to the files inside PCGen that you have made must also be moved over.
          Yea, I have a folder on my laptop that is "my pcgen stuff" that contains
          the Data directory, a new preview sheet, and a couple of output sheets.
          No gamemode changes. I will have him delete his data directory and then
          just copy the stuff from the usb drive and merge/replace what is there.
          >> 5- Can I just have him copy the filepaths.ini& options.ini to his Mac,
          >> or do those files have no meaning in that environment, and if they don't
          >> how do I help him?
          > I'm not certain this would be a good idea. The paths to this file may differ. It is probably better to let help you player configure his machine directly.
          Yea, got it. If it is a laptop, I'll do it the next time he comes over.
          If it is a desktop then we can do it via phone,

          thanks for you help.
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2010
            David R. Bender scribed:

            > 1- My "understanding" is that he would have to download the Mac build
            > and install(?) it on his machine.That would be the
            > pcgen5174_mac_install.dmg, right?

            That's correct, the DMG contains the Mac version in which all the program
            files are bundled into a single app file. Also on the DMG is a readme file
            which details how to access the PCGen directories and other information
            about the Mac install. If it's not detailed in the readme file then it's the
            same as the windows version.
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp