Skill Points Left issue

  • radialmonster
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2010
      pcgen 5.16.4 java 17.1-b03 windows 7 pro, just have the srd 3.5 for players loaded

      i have created a character, ranger, and leveled him to level 3, but then i started running issues assigning skill points, saying that in the message things to be done that i had to many skills assigned. so i backed out all my skills by minusing the points assigned, so that each of my ranger/1 ranger/2 and ranger/3 shows the max/total points and was going to reassign them. so my ranger/1 shows 28/28 ranger/2 shows 7/7 and 3 shows 7/7. but in the top, i still have skills that have ranks assigned. my total skill points left says 35. but that doesnt jive with 28+7+7 = 42. my int is 13, i am a ranger half elf.

      Thanks for any insight!
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2010
        Bump :)

        On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 1:52 AM, radialmonster <radial@...>wrote:

        > pcgen 5.16.4 java 17.1-b03 windows 7 pro, just have the srd 3.5 for players
        > loaded
        >
        > i have created a character, ranger, and leveled him to level 3, but then i
        > started running issues assigning skill points, saying that in the message
        > things to be done that i had to many skills assigned. so i backed out all my
        > skills by minusing the points assigned, so that each of my ranger/1 ranger/2
        > and ranger/3 shows the max/total points and was going to reassign them. so
        > my ranger/1 shows 28/28 ranger/2 shows 7/7 and 3 shows 7/7. but in the top,
        > i still have skills that have ranks assigned. my total skill points left
        > says 35. but that doesnt jive with 28+7+7 = 42. my int is 13, i am a ranger
        > half elf.
        >
        > Thanks for any insight!

      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2010
          Boing :)

          On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...>wrote:

          > Bump :)
          >

          > On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 1:52 AM, radialmonster <radial@...>wrote:
          >

          >> pcgen 5.16.4 java 17.1-b03 windows 7 pro, just have the srd 3.5 for
          >> players loaded
          >>
          >> i have created a character, ranger, and leveled him to level 3, but then i
          >> started running issues assigning skill points, saying that in the message
          >> things to be done that i had to many skills assigned. so i backed out all my
          >> skills by minusing the points assigned, so that each of my ranger/1 ranger/2
          >> and ranger/3 shows the max/total points and was going to reassign them. so
          >> my ranger/1 shows 28/28 ranger/2 shows 7/7 and 3 shows 7/7. but in the top,
          >> i still have skills that have ranks assigned. my total skill points left
          >> says 35. but that doesnt jive with 28+7+7 = 42. my int is 13, i am a ranger
          >> half elf.
          >>
          >> Thanks for any insight!

        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2011
            Hi all,

            Is there a community volunteer that has a few minutes to test this scenario
            out? I'd like to see it confirmed before raising it as a JIRA.

          • pshipley@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2011
              Hi

              Just tested in 5.17.4. Created a new HE ranger Int 13 and everything appears to work just fine: I can assign and remove all skills points with no problems. It would be helpful if the OP could post the specific steps to reproduce the problem to confirm that it no longer exists in the latest version. I don't think we can open a tracker & fix otherwise.

              Three possibilities:

              1) There was a problem that has been fixed in 5.17.4.

              2) Setting Int to 13 *after* adding levels may not lead to the outcome expected (not a bug), though I can't reproduce the OP's symptoms with variants of this.

              3) I have had difficulties on and off with creating a new character after doing other stuff in pcgen on other characters. I have (just) raised a code tracker on this issue; my advice for now is to restart PCGen before creating a new character.

              Cheers

              Paul

              > Hi all,
              >
              > Is there a community volunteer that has a few minutes to test this scenario
              > out? I'd like to see it confirmed before raising it as a JIRA.

              > On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Martijn Verburg
              > <martijnverburg@...>wrote:
              >
              > > Boing :)
              > >

              > > On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...>wrote:
              > >
              > >> Bump :)

            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2011
                Thanks very much for looking at this - I know that there's also a CODE
                tracker that's been recently added around this issue and some Pathfinder
                templates.

                I saw your JIRA on the creating a new character with the latest alpha, we
                should get to it and fix it before the 5.17.5 release

                Thanks again!

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2011

                  I think I had tested this [month ago?], answered on the JIRA back in that time, and sent a surgery
                  fixed pcg back to the op, and had no word back since.

                  Cheers,

                • radialmonster
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 12, 2011
                    I'm so sorry i let this message group slide, I thought I would receive replies in my regular email but apparently i had that turned off.

                    I guess I should have done this originally, but here is where you can download my pcg file:
                    www.radialmonster.com/files/Masek.pcg

                    How to reproduce it? I'm not certain of that. It's possible I could create a new character and go through the levels and not see it again. But I am not certain that I am doing the right thing in this program, perhaps it is my fault in the way that I'm using the program as I only use it every few months.

                    With the attached file you should see how my skill points are in the negative somehow.

                    Thank you