Need help with PCGen-Pathfinder related, multiple questions

  • hergesrg
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 25, 2010
      Hi,

      i have some problems implementing houserules into pcgen.
      I'm using 5.16.4 because they worked on the very buggy list editor.

      But to no avail, i'm still unable to integrate some changes.

      First problem:
      I created a copy of the druid class, to accommodate changes. The first change i like to make is an increase in starting skill points. We mixed the D&D 3.5 skillsystem with Pathfinder, so the starting points should be "(SKILLPOOL)*4".

      Funny thing is, i tried that formula in the "starting points"-field, but that only worked in the 5.16.2 version, and even there it only worked if i had no other source loaded than the PF Core Rulebook.

      In 5.16.4 it switches to 3 skillpoints, instead of 28(4 class, +1 human, +2 Int). So it obviously ignores the formula or can't interpret it. How do i fix this? Using the absolute value of the starting skillpoints doesn't work either. PCGen takes the number, but now i get it every time i advance in level. The advancement should be: 28/7/7... etc.

      Second thing i like to change: My copy of the druid class should be listed in the "Favored Class"-Section. But listed are only the core base classes. How do i get a custom class into this list?

      Many many thanks! :)
    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 25, 2010
        Skills: If this is a global change to *all* classes then you can edit
        this file: @\system\gameModes\Pathfinder_RPG\miscinfo.lst. Search for
        SKILLMULTIPLIER and follow the directions in the comments just above it.
        You will have to make this change every time you upgrade PCGen, or you
        could create your own gamemode thru the options panel.

        Favored Class: If you have your own homebrew files already, add the
        following to anyone of the ABILITY files: (new lines are tabs)
        YourNewClassName
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:FavoredClass
        VISIBLE:DISPLAY
        STACK:NO
        MULT:NO
        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Favored Class Bonus|var("CL=YourNewClassName")

        David
        Papa.DRB

        Grognard (definition 1) <http://mysite.verizon.net/vze16ni4g/Grognard.html>
        My better half and me

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 25, 2010
          Hi,

          Okay, I read your email, answered in line. Point blank, you need to manually edit files and make
          your own gamemode my friend. Otherwise you're going to fighting an uphill battle.

          The LST Editor Cannot Handle Abilities today.
          The LST Editor Cannot Handle editing gamemode files.

          On 11/25/2010 6:18 AM, hergesrg wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > i have some problems implementing houserules into pcgen.
          > I'm using 5.16.4 because they worked on the very buggy list editor.

          Well thanks. Buggy editor aside, the massive improvements (read: bug fixes) alone should have
          compelled the upgrade.

          > But to no avail, i'm still unable to integrate some changes.
          >
          > First problem:
          > I created a copy of the druid class, to accommodate changes. The first change i like to make is an increase in starting skill points. We mixed the D&D 3.5 skillsystem with Pathfinder, so the starting points should be "(SKILLPOOL)*4".

          Wow, so using a mix means really powerful characters then. The GameMode is the root cause of the
          STARTSKILLPTS being *4 at first level. It also determines your max ranks at each and every level.

          > Funny thing is, i tried that formula in the "starting points"-field, but that only worked in the 5.16.2 version, and even there it only worked if i had no other source loaded than the PF Core Rulebook.

          What is your formula, and yes, PF doesn't *4 the starting skill points, but instead boosts your
          Class Skills by +3. In fact, I hate to break it to you, but the LST editor is going to be pretty
          useless for what you're requesting. You need your own gamemode, no two ways about it. Unless you
          want to have your skillful character(s) pretty much have 1 Skill rank in every skill they possess.

          > In 5.16.4 it switches to 3 skillpoints, instead of 28(4 class, +1 human, +2 Int). So it obviously ignores the formula or can't interpret it. How do i fix this? Using the absolute value of the starting skillpoints doesn't work either. PCGen takes the number, but now i get it every time i advance in level. The advancement should be: 28/7/7... etc.

          Show me the formula.

          > Second thing i like to change: My copy of the druid class should be listed in the "Favored Class"-Section. But listed are only the core base classes. How do i get a custom class into this list?

          That's an Ability, something the LST editor, alas, cannot handle in 5.16.

          > Many many thanks! :)

          I certainly hope your response is soon. It's Thanksgiving, and most of the monkeys will be away
          including yours truly in a short time.

          If you want to do the lst editing (Which isn't hard actually). Ask over on the ListFileHelp. Or
          blast an email direct to me (Since I'll likely be the one to answer anyways, with the holidays and all).

          Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving (If you live in an area that celebrates it),

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 25, 2010
            Hi David,

            thank you for your help.
            Problem is, the skill points are working now, but another error has occured:
            None of the druid special abilities are shown on the preview and none of the bonuses are integrated. The special ability-lines are present in the custom_class file, but it seems PcGen ignores them.

            I thought about an easier way: Now that i fixed the skill-problem with your help, the only thing i have to do is to remove all class skills from the druid class(We are using a modified system. The D&D 3.5 amount of skillpoints, but no classskills with +3 bonuses). Problem is: I can't find them anywhere. The only thing i could find was a remark about "DruidClassSkills" and "Category:Internal". Does that mean, the class skills of the Pathfinder druid are hard-wired, and can't be edited?

            Thanks again for your help!

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 25, 2010
              Hi,

              I'll field that...

              On 11/25/2010 3:39 PM, hergesrg wrote:
              > Hi David,
              >
              > thank you for your help.
              > Problem is, the skill points are working now, but another error has occured:
              > None of the druid special abilities are shown on the preview and none of the bonuses are integrated. The special ability-lines are present in the custom_class file, but it seems PcGen ignores them.

              Need to review what you're seeing. Everything was working fine in 5.16.4 when I reviewed things...
              Wait, Custom_class file?

              I thought I mentioned that Abilities don't work in the LST Editor, and by extension, neither would
              the custom files it creates for that purpose.

              You need to make your own file(s) to do what you want to accomplish.

              > I thought about an easier way: Now that i fixed the skill-problem with your help, the only thing i have to do is to remove all class skills from the druid class(We are using a modified system. The D&D 3.5 amount of skillpoints, but no classskills with +3 bonuses). Problem is: I can't find them anywhere. The only thing i could find was a remark about "DruidClassSkills" and "Category:Internal". Does that mean, the class skills of the Pathfinder druid are hard-wired, and can't be edited?

              Oh, contrary to that. See, in the Advanced PLayer's Guide you can change the Class Skills of certain
              classes.

              In order to disable the class skills you just need to have an ability:
              Remove Druid Class Skill
              CATEGORY:Archetype
              TYPE:Archetype.Remove.DruidClassSkills
              DESC:This removes the Druid Class Skills
              COST:0

              Under the Archetypes Tab, add that to the character and the Druid Skills go bye-bye.

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 25, 2010
                Hi Andrew,

                thank you for your quick reply.

                To be honest i'm not sure i understand.
                The druid is not a base class of the APG.
                If i understand you correctly, i have to add the line beneath to the base class-lst entry of the druid class? Do i have to add the APG to my loaded sources to make this work?

                Wouldn't it be easier to just delete the druidclassskills-line from the pfcr_classes_base.lst, or would that cause any problems?

                Sorry for my lack of understanding, but i'm just not very deep into this stuff, and the whole thing is rather complicated.

                Say is there a good manual for understanding the basic principles, variables and structures of PcGen? I mean: "What is done where, how and why?"

                Thanks!

                PS: I made a backup of the pfcr_classes_base.lst and tried my "delete the line"-approach. At the moment it looks like this could actually work.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 26, 2010
                  Hi,

                  On 11/25/2010 11:40 PM, hergesrg wrote:
                  > Hi Andrew,
                  >
                  > thank you for your quick reply.
                  >
                  > To be honest i'm not sure i understand.
                  > The druid is not a base class of the APG.
                  > If i understand you correctly, i have to add the line beneath to the base class-lst entry of the druid class? Do i have to add the APG to my loaded sources to make this work?

                  No, you don't need to load the APG to make this work. You would need to make a small homebrew set to
                  load with your PF core with the Ability fix I recommend.

                  > Wouldn't it be easier to just delete the druidclassskills-line from the pfcr_classes_base.lst, or would that cause any problems?

                  Well, you could. But you'll end up having to repeat this procedure every time you update your copy.
                  The solution I'm giving you will work through all the updates you might be doing. No, it won't cause
                  issues for you, but it will mean if you desire to make a regular PF compliant druid, you won't be
                  able too, unless you restore that line.

                  > Sorry for my lack of understanding, but i'm just not very deep into this stuff, and the whole thing is rather complicated.

                  I agree, however, Pathfinder has embarked on quite the endeavor to have a lot of flexibility, which
                  means we've had to make the sets more complicated to handle the future permutations.

                  > Say is there a good manual for understanding the basic principles, variables and structures of PcGen? I mean: "What is done where, how and why?"

                  Well, we have Classes in the Docs to teach people how to learn LST coding, and some explanations of
                  how these objects interact. F1 will bring up the Help Docs.

                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > PS: I made a backup of the pfcr_classes_base.lst and tried my "delete the line"-approach. At the moment it looks like this could actually work.

                  Oh, it'll work. But it'll only work in that fashion. Quick fix, vs. long term solution.

                  If you'd like, I can send you the quick set, and that would be that, but I'd rather help people
                  understand the process so they can do it for themselves. ;)

                  Cheers,