Chicago-land get-together

  • merton_monk@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
      I've been thinking about organizing a Chicago-land get-together. I
      think we'll definitely have to arrange a meeting time/place at next
      GenCon, but since that didn't happen at this year's Con, how about we
      just meet? I was thinking of calling Dave and Buster's (which is a
      restaurant/bar/arcade type place near where I live) and seeing if
      they have any special rates for groups (rates on their games, that
      is...). Depending on how many people are interested, maybe that
      wouldn't be the best place to meet, but that was just my first idea.
      How many would be interested in getting together? Any locals have a
      better idea than Dave and Busters? I thought a restaurant/arcade
      would be a nice place to eat and play some games for a few hours.
      It'd be kind of cool to have everyone bring character sheets so we
      can see what kinds of things people are using PCGen for. I'm not
      sure how Dave and Buster's would react to anyone showing up in
      costume... though their dress code is "neat, unsoiled, clothing" and
      the usual "shirt & shoes". I was thinking sometime in the middle-
      late september. Saturday afternoon/evening most likely.
      Anyway, thoughts, comments, concerns?
      -Bryan
    • STILES, BRAD
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001

        Well, Chicago is a bit far, but if you want to move it to
        Indianapolis...<g/>

        Seriously, I am planning on making GenCon when it moves there in, I think,
        2003.

        Brad
      • Lonestar
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
          myc> Anyway, thoughts, comments, concerns?

          Hehe, basically thats a good idea and I sure would come to that
          event...well, if I wouldn't live on the other side of the planet ;)

          I'll try to be at next years GenCon though ;)

          Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
        • Jeremy Derr
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
            With only PHB and FR campaigns loaded, I've created a half dozen
            Fgt1's of various races, and even though they all have "automatic"
            listed for the Armor Proficiencies, in equipment all Armor has an N
            under PROF. This has the nasty side effect of deducting the Armor
            Check penalty from their attack bonuses.
          • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
              Well then, I vote for Denver!! For both GenCon and the proposed
              PCGenCon!!

              -Lone Jedi
              (Jason)

              --- In pcgen@y..., "STILES, BRAD" <BRAD.STILES@s...> wrote:
> [...]
            • STILES, BRAD
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                RE: [pcgen] Re: Chicago-land get-together

                Well, if I get a vote, I vote for LaGrange, KY.  Not much in the way of night life, but kinda pretty.  That's much better than either Chicago or Indy.  I'll settle for Louisville, though. <g/>

              • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                  I believe this was a problem with 2.1.1, version 2.1.2 came out last
                  night which corrected this problem. Of course, there are a few other
                  problems, but we're taking care of those... ;)

                  -Bryan

                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                    You can go ahead and meet in Denver, but I'll stay here and meet
                    whoever shows up in Chicago. The net is much faster on this side of
                    the Atlantic - you should really consider emigrating. :)

                    -Bryan

                    --- In pcgen@y..., lonejedi70@h... wrote:
                    > Well then, I vote for Denver!! For both GenCon and the proposed
                    > PCGenCon!!
                    >
                    > -Lone Jedi
                    > (Jason)

                  • Jeremy Derr
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                      I'm pretty sure I'm using 2.1.2 now.... but I'll trash everything and
                      start anew and see if there's any weird cross contamination going on.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                        Emigrate from Denver, across the Atlantic, to Chicago?? ;) I'll
                        just go to my local D&B after work and have a beer... the drive is
                        shorter :)

                        -Lone Jedi
                        (Jason)

                        > You can go ahead and meet in Denver, but I'll stay here and meet
                        > whoever shows up in Chicago. The net is much faster on this side
                        of
                        > the Atlantic - you should really consider emigrating. :)
                        >
                        > -Bryan
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@y..., lonejedi70@h... wrote:
                        > > Well then, I vote for Denver!! For both GenCon and the proposed
                        > > PCGenCon!!
                        > >
                        > > -Lone Jedi
                        > > (Jason)

                      • Gary
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                          Works for me. I could probably rope in a couple of lurkers too.
                          D&B's downtown, or the one off of 53/355?

                        • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                            I should add on a serious note, however, that I would love
                            attedn "PCGenCon"... if it weren't for the 17-ish hour drive.

                            -Lone Jedi
                            (Jason)

                            > --- In pcgen@y..., merton_monk@y... wrote:
                            > > You can go ahead and meet in Denver, but I'll stay here and meet
                            > > whoever shows up in Chicago. The net is much faster on this side
                            > of
                            > > the Atlantic - you should really consider emigrating. :)
                            > >
                            > > -Bryan
                          • Jeremy Derr
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                              Yeah. Color my stupid.. i saw the release message posted here, ran
                              off to Sourceforge...... and promptly downloaded 2.1.1 again. *sigh*

                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                --- In pcgen@y..., "Gary" <dinthron@y...> wrote:
                                > Works for me. I could probably rope in a couple of lurkers too.
                                > D&B's downtown, or the one off of 53/355?

                                The one off of 355. I've gotten pretty good at Time Crisis 2, but I
                                still can't get past the Star Wars Pod Racer game on medium
                                difficulty...

                                -Bryan
                              • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                  --- In pcgen@y..., lonejedi70@h... wrote:
                                  > I should add on a serious note, however, that I would love
                                  > attedn "PCGenCon"... if it weren't for the 17-ish hour drive.
                                  >
                                  > -Lone Jedi
                                  > (Jason)

                                  PCGenCon???? I wasn't thinking of anything so gradiose. Chicago-land
                                  PCGen Get Together I (CPGT?) seems fine to me. :)

                                  -Bryan
                                • STILES, BRAD
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001

                                    Me too, even though it's only 4 to 7 hours for me, depending on whether this
                                    place is on the South or North side of Chicago.

                                    Brad
                                  • Lonestar
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                      >> I should add on a serious note, however, that I would love
                                      >> attedn "PCGenCon"... if it weren't for the 17-ish hour drive.
                                      >>

                                      SB> Me too, even though it's only 4 to 7 hours for me, depending on whether this
                                      SB> place is on the South or North side of Chicago.

                                      hmmm, for me its only about 10-12 hours (by plane) and another hour by
                                      car ;)

                                      Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
                                    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                        --- In pcgen@y..., "STILES, BRAD" <BRAD.STILES@s...> wrote:

                                        It's mostly west of Chicago. I've driven to Indianapolis a couple of
                                        times, and it takes about 4 hours. That's a lot of driving for
                                        something that I'm thinking will only last a few hours!

                                        -Bryan

                                        > Brad
                                      • STILES, BRAD
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                          RE: [pcgen] Re: Chicago-land get-together

                                          And Indy is 2 or 3 hours from Louisville.

                                          > That's a lot of driving for
                                          > something that I'm thinking will only last a few hours!

                                          Much as I'd like to go, those were my thoughts as well.  Ah well, maybe I'll make it up to Capricon next year.  I went about 4 years ago, and it was a pretty good time.

                                          Failing that, like I said, GenCon 2003, or whenever it moves to Indy, is my plan.

                                          Brad

                                        • Gary
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                            NorthWest side, around 355 and Lake st.

                                          • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                              GenCon will be in Indy next year. It's on the GenCon website
                                              already. See? Problem solved. ;p

                                              But a PCGenCon (Hey that's my phrase! coined a few thousand msgs
                                              ago!), would be a 4-5 hour drive for me as well (detroit), which
                                              wouldn't be a worthy 2-way drive for a 3-4 hours of amusement. :(
                                              (If only Bryan woulda showed his face at Gen!)

                                              Mynex

                                              > Failing that, like I said, GenCon 2003, or whenever it moves to
                                              Indy, is my
                                              > plan.
                                              >
                                              > Brad
                                            • Robert Ward
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                                > --- In pcgen@y..., lonejedi70@h... wrote:
                                                > > I should add on a serious note, however, that I would love
                                                > > attedn "PCGenCon"... if it weren't for the 17-ish hour drive.
                                                > >
                                                > > -Lone Jedi
                                                > > (Jason)
                                                > >

                                                > PCGenCon???? I wasn't thinking of anything so gradiose. Chicago-
                                                land
                                                > PCGen Get Together I (CPGT?) seems fine to me. :)
                                                >
                                                > -Bryan

                                                I too would love to make it to this gathering. Unfortunately, I am
                                                unable to drive, have 3 kids to help my wife take care of, and live
                                                about 9-10 hours away from Chicago. Oh well, since I cann't be there
                                                physically, I'll just have to make do with being there in spirit.

                                                -Robert Ward
                                              • myronman@myronman.com
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                                  Sounds good to me, You can count me in on that. I live in Chicago.

                                                  -Myron

                                                • zebuleon@peoplepc.com
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                                    > I've been thinking about organizing a Chicago-land get-together.

                                                    I can make it, just let me know day and time and place.

                                                    Mario
                                                  • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                                      --- In pcgen@y..., zebuleon@p... wrote:
                                                      > --- In pcgen@y..., merton_monk@y... wrote:
                                                      > > I've been thinking about organizing a Chicago-land get-together.
                                                      >

                                                      > I can make it, just let me know day and time and place.

                                                      Okay - in the next couple of days I'll pick a specific date and
                                                      time. Should be a lot of fun!

                                                      -Bryan
                                                    • Mark Hulsman
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                                        I may be able to make it depending on when it is. I go to Purdue, so I'm in
                                                        West Lafayette, IN right now which is about 2 hours from Chicago. I don't
                                                        have a car so I'm not really sure if I can go, although I guess I could take
                                                        the Greyhound :(

                                                        > > I've been thinking about organizing a Chicago-land get-together.
                                                        >

                                                        > I can make it, just let me know day and time and place.
                                                      • Eric Statz
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Aug 29, 2001
                                                          Purdue! Blech! Go PSU!

                                                          :-) (Gotta root for my Alma Mater) Yipes! That seems wierd... I've
                                                          Graduated ?!?!

                                                          -Eric
                                                          (Very Glad he's got 5 more years of grad school to go.)
                                                        • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Oct 1, 2001
                                                            Just a reminder that I'm planning on being at the Dave & Buster's in
                                                            Addison on Oct 6th at 5pm. Dave & Buster's is a big
                                                            restuarant/arcade/bar just off of I-355. I'll be happy to take you
                                                            on in the arcade games there, have something to eat and chat about
                                                            PCGen and whatever else. I'll be in the lobby wearing a PCGen t-
                                                            shirt (so you can recognize me) for a while to say hi as people show
                                                            up. Past that we can play some games and eat some food in whatever
                                                            combination seems appropriate. Hope to see you there! Oh - and bring
                                                            a charactersheet, I'd love to see what kinds of characters you've
                                                            created! I think Dave & Buster's closes at 1 or 2am, but I don't have
                                                            that kind of energy anymore. ;)

                                                            -Bryan