Re: [pcgen] [OT] Wotc & DDI news

  • Anestis Kozakis
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
      On 2010/11/08 5:19 AM +0000, Paul gave their opinion about the topic
      of [pcgen] [OT] Wotc & DDI news...
      >Anyone else see this and laugh?
      >
      >http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26182233/November_16th_Release_for_Web-based_Character_Builder
      >
      ><quote=WotC_Trevor>
      >On November 16, Wizards of the Coast will launch a brand new
      >web-based version of the D&D Insider Character Builder. The current
      >downloadable version will remain functional, but will no longer be
      >available for download or updated with content after the new version
      >goes live. Here are the highlights of the new Character Builder:
      >
      > * New Design: Completely redesigned from top to bottom in
      >Microsoft Silverlight as a robust character creation wizard.
      > * No Download: The Character Builder is served from the D&D site
      > * PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and
      >Silverlight plug-in
      > * Access is easy: Just enter the D&D site, log in, and launch
      >the Character Builder from the Tool Box or the Character Builder
      >tools page.
      > * Characters in the Cloud: All characters you create are saved
      >on our database. No need to save Character Builder files on your
      >hard drive anymore.
      > * File Import: You can easily import your character s created in
      >the previous version to the new Character Builder.
      > * Previous Data: Includes all character-building data you
      >enjoyed in the previous versions.
      > * New Data Releases: Dark Sun and D&D Essentials data will debut
      >with the new version
      ></quote>

      I can see what they are trying to do.

      The good: Making it available on Mac and PC. Still leaves Linux/BSD
      users out in the cold. Also, adding Dark Sun to the character
      creation roster.

      The bad: The assumption that everyone has internet access no matter
      where you go.

      The unknown (as I have never used it) : Can you print out the character sheets?

      As has been mentioned, this may drive more people to us, well, those
      who want to create 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder characters.

      Anestis.
      --
      Anestis Kozakis
      Mobile: +61 4 10092902