[pcgen] Re: batch-processing character output sheets stopped working

  • Susan Dittmar
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
      Hi folks,

      thanks for the time you invest into this. I really appreciate it.

      Concerning java version, I yesterday again made sure only sun java is
      installed (according to rpm). Here's the output of java -version:

      java version "1.6.0_22"
      Java Hotspot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)

      The 'auto load sources with character' and 'auto load sources at program
      start' flags both are set (and were set already).

      After reading Mark's post I checked for output files *before* killing the
      PCGen/java process. Like he suggested, the output is written as it should.
      I just did not see this before because the program 'make' removes output it
      aims for if there was a problem (like a killed PCGen) during producing it.

      I just installed PCGen 5.16.4RC3. It does not change anything concerning my
      problem.

      Again, thanks for looking into it!

      Susan
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
        Hi Susan,

        The fix suggested by Mark has been included. It will be in the next
        release candidate.

        Cheers,
        James.

        On 8/11/2010 7:25 PM Susan Dittmar wrote
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > thanks for the time you invest into this. I really appreciate it.
        >
        > Concerning java version, I yesterday again made sure only sun java is
        > installed (according to rpm). Here's the output of java -version:
        >
        > java version "1.6.0_22"
        > Java Hotspot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)
        >
        > The 'auto load sources with character' and 'auto load sources at program
        > start' flags both are set (and were set already).
        >
        > After reading Mark's post I checked for output files *before* killing the
        > PCGen/java process. Like he suggested, the output is written as it should.
        > I just did not see this before because the program 'make' removes output it
        > aims for if there was a problem (like a killed PCGen) during producing it.
        >
        > I just installed PCGen 5.16.4RC3. It does not change anything concerning my
        > problem.
        >
        > Again, thanks for looking into it!
        >
        > Susan
      • Susan Dittmar
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
          Thanks, James (and Mark)! I really appreciate it. Now I'm looking forward
          to the next release candidate :-)

          Susan
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
            Hi,

            You won't be waiting long ;) It's planned for Wednesday.

            On 11/8/2010 4:30 AM, Susan Dittmar wrote:
            > Thanks, James (and Mark)! I really appreciate it. Now I'm looking forward
            > to the next release candidate :-)
            >
            > Susan

            > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          • Susan Dittmar
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
              > You won't be waiting long ;) It's planned for Wednesday.

              Wonderful! That means it's in time for my next session!
              *hops around excitedly*

              Susan
            • eslaf1234
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                James

                I assume its hanging because some gui threads are not completing. Seems to be getting worse with newer java versions - tried 5.16.1 again with java 1.6.0_22 and it hung for 23 minutes before exiting but as you can see from my old bug report it is a bit random. Always wondered if windows people had the same problem, anyway I see a fix is in so will not worry about it.

                Thanks

                Mark

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                  Hi,

                  I had some performance hits, but it was tied to certain things done in PCGen and was easily
                  reproduced... I submitted a code bug and they were able to fix it up for me.

                  If you can capture the processes during a hang, that does help. In windows using the Bat file to
                  start pcgen, during a pause I would hit CTRL-BRK about once every 30 seconds while inside the bat
                  window. I'm not sure what the procedure to capture the data is in linux though.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                    Susan

                    You should not need it now but a hack to get around the problem just in
                    case would be something like this

                    .SUFFIXES: .pcg .xml

                    PCGENDIR=..

                    all: Test1.xml
                    echo "finished"

                    Test1.xml: Test1.pcg

                    DODGYFIX=& sleep 60;kill %1
                    OUTPUTEXISTS=test -s

                    .pcg.xml:
                    ${RM} $@
                    ${PCGENDIR}/pcgen.sh \
                    -Dpcgen.templatefile=outputsheets/base.xml \
                    -Dpcgen.inputfile=${CURDIR}/$< \
                    -Dpcgen.outputfile=${CURDIR}/$@ ${DODGYFIX}
                    ${OUTPUTEXISTS} $@ # pcgen may of failed to generate file and can't detect because of DODGYFIX

                    i.e run pcgen in background wait a while and then kill it. This is not a
                    good work around as you miss pcgen failures and if it doesn't hang the
                    command will fail when the kill fails. But it will get it done in an
                    emergency if pcgen always hangs.

                    Mark

                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

                    > > You won't be waiting long ;) It's planned for Wednesday.
                    >
                    > Wonderful! That means it's in time for my next session!
                    > *hops around excitedly*
                    >
                    > Susan

                  • Susan Dittmar
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                      Dear Mark,

                      thanks for sharing that hack. Now my computer is happy -- finally true work
                      to do ;-)

                      I still hope I can remove that hack again on Wednesday.

                      Susan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                        Susan,

                        It might be a bit of a hassle, but you can always make your own pcgen builds to test things out... I
                        do that, and I think, I could be wrong, but we have autobuilds nightly. I know where the trunk is
                        stored, not sure if we're doing the same for the branch, but since James fixed it in the trunk as
                        well, you can grab the trunk build and test to see if it works for you.

                        Cheers,

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 9, 2010
                          Quoting Andrew Maitland (drew0500@...):
                          > It might be a bit of a hassle, but you can always make your own pcgen builds to test things out...

                          I did so, and now can confirm that the bug is resolved for me both in Trunk
                          and in the 5.16.x branch.

                          Thanks a lot!

                          Susan