Re: [pcgen] [OT] Wotc & DDI news

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
      I wasn't happy to see this (as a subscriber), but I'm happy to see this as
      it might drive some users towards us :-)

      On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:

      > Anyone else see this and laugh?
      >

      > http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26182233/November_16th_Release_for_Web-based_Character_Builder
      >
      > <quote=WotC_Trevor>
      > On November 16, Wizards of the Coast will launch a brand new web-based
      > version of the D&D Insider Character Builder. The current downloadable
      > version will remain functional, but will no longer be available for download
      > or updated with content after the new version goes live. Here are the
      > highlights of the new Character Builder:
      >
      > * New Design: Completely redesigned from top to bottom in Microsoft
      > Silverlight as a robust character creation wizard.
      > * No Download: The Character Builder is served from the D&D site
      > * PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and Silverlight
      > plug-in
      > * Access is easy: Just enter the D&D site, log in, and launch the Character
      > Builder from the Tool Box or the Character Builder tools page.
      > * Characters in the Cloud: All characters you create are saved on our
      > database. No need to save Character Builder files on your hard drive
      > anymore.
      > * File Import: You can easily import your character s created in the
      > previous version to the new Character Builder.
      > * Previous Data: Includes all character-building data you enjoyed in the
      > previous versions.
      > * New Data Releases: Dark Sun and D&D Essentials data will debut with the
      > new version
      > </quote>

    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
        One more reason not to play D&D, the unessential version

        They're not getting my money for this nonsense.

        andrew
        On 8 November 2010 05:19, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:

        > Anyone else see this and laugh?
        >

        > http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26182233/November_16th_Release_for_Web-based_Character_Builder
        >
        > <quote=WotC_Trevor>
        > On November 16, Wizards of the Coast will launch a brand new web-based
        > version of the D&D Insider Character Builder. The current downloadable
        > version will remain functional, but will no longer be available for
        > download or updated with content after the new version goes live. Here are
        > the highlights of the new Character Builder:
        >
        > * New Design: Completely redesigned from top to bottom in Microsoft
        > Silverlight as a robust character creation wizard.
        > * No Download: The Character Builder is served from the D&D site
        > * PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and Silverlight
        > plug-in
        > * Access is easy: Just enter the D&D site, log in, and launch the
        > Character Builder from the Tool Box or the Character Builder tools page.
        > * Characters in the Cloud: All characters you create are saved on our
        > database. No need to save Character Builder files on your hard drive
        > anymore.
        > * File Import: You can easily import your character s created in the
        > previous version to the new Character Builder.
        > * Previous Data: Includes all character-building data you enjoyed in the
        > previous versions.
        > * New Data Releases: Dark Sun and D&D Essentials data will debut with
        > the new version
        > </quote>

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
        > PCGen's Online Docs:
        > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
        >
        > PCGen List File Help:

      • Anestis Kozakis
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
          On 2010/11/08 5:19 AM +0000, Paul gave their opinion about the topic
          of [pcgen] [OT] Wotc & DDI news...
          >Anyone else see this and laugh?
          >
          >http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26182233/November_16th_Release_for_Web-based_Character_Builder
          >
          ><quote=WotC_Trevor>
          >On November 16, Wizards of the Coast will launch a brand new
          >web-based version of the D&D Insider Character Builder. The current
          >downloadable version will remain functional, but will no longer be
          >available for download or updated with content after the new version
          >goes live. Here are the highlights of the new Character Builder:
          >
          > * New Design: Completely redesigned from top to bottom in
          >Microsoft Silverlight as a robust character creation wizard.
          > * No Download: The Character Builder is served from the D&D site
          > * PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and
          >Silverlight plug-in
          > * Access is easy: Just enter the D&D site, log in, and launch
          >the Character Builder from the Tool Box or the Character Builder
          >tools page.
          > * Characters in the Cloud: All characters you create are saved
          >on our database. No need to save Character Builder files on your
          >hard drive anymore.
          > * File Import: You can easily import your character s created in
          >the previous version to the new Character Builder.
          > * Previous Data: Includes all character-building data you
          >enjoyed in the previous versions.
          > * New Data Releases: Dark Sun and D&D Essentials data will debut
          >with the new version
          ></quote>

          I can see what they are trying to do.

          The good: Making it available on Mac and PC. Still leaves Linux/BSD
          users out in the cold. Also, adding Dark Sun to the character
          creation roster.

          The bad: The assumption that everyone has internet access no matter
          where you go.

          The unknown (as I have never used it) : Can you print out the character sheets?

          As has been mentioned, this may drive more people to us, well, those
          who want to create 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder characters.

          Anestis.
          --
          Anestis Kozakis
          Mobile: +61 4 10092902