[OT] Wotc & DDI news

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2010
      Anyone else see this and laugh?

      http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26182233/November_16th_Release_for_Web-based_Character_Builder

      <quote=WotC_Trevor>
      On November 16, Wizards of the Coast will launch a brand new web-based version of the D&D Insider Character Builder. The current downloadable version will remain functional, but will no longer be available for download or updated with content after the new version goes live. Here are the highlights of the new Character Builder:

      * New Design: Completely redesigned from top to bottom in Microsoft Silverlight as a robust character creation wizard.
      * No Download: The Character Builder is served from the D&D site
      * PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and Silverlight plug-in
      * Access is easy: Just enter the D&D site, log in, and launch the Character Builder from the Tool Box or the Character Builder tools page.
      * Characters in the Cloud: All characters you create are saved on our database. No need to save Character Builder files on your hard drive anymore.
      * File Import: You can easily import your character s created in the previous version to the new Character Builder.
      * Previous Data: Includes all character-building data you enjoyed in the previous versions.
      * New Data Releases: Dark Sun and D&D Essentials data will debut with the new version
      </quote>
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
        I wasn't happy to see this (as a subscriber), but I'm happy to see this as
        it might drive some users towards us :-)

        On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:

        > Anyone else see this and laugh?
        >

        > http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26182233/November_16th_Release_for_Web-based_Character_Builder
        >
        > <quote=WotC_Trevor>
        > On November 16, Wizards of the Coast will launch a brand new web-based
        > version of the D&D Insider Character Builder. The current downloadable
        > version will remain functional, but will no longer be available for download
        > or updated with content after the new version goes live. Here are the
        > highlights of the new Character Builder:
        >
        > * New Design: Completely redesigned from top to bottom in Microsoft
        > Silverlight as a robust character creation wizard.
        > * No Download: The Character Builder is served from the D&D site
        > * PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and Silverlight
        > plug-in
        > * Access is easy: Just enter the D&D site, log in, and launch the Character
        > Builder from the Tool Box or the Character Builder tools page.
        > * Characters in the Cloud: All characters you create are saved on our
        > database. No need to save Character Builder files on your hard drive
        > anymore.
        > * File Import: You can easily import your character s created in the
        > previous version to the new Character Builder.
        > * Previous Data: Includes all character-building data you enjoyed in the
        > previous versions.
        > * New Data Releases: Dark Sun and D&D Essentials data will debut with the
        > new version
        > </quote>

      • Andrew Wilson
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
          One more reason not to play D&D, the unessential version

          They're not getting my money for this nonsense.

          andrew
          On 8 November 2010 05:19, Paul <nylanfs@...> wrote:

          > Anyone else see this and laugh?
          >

          > http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26182233/November_16th_Release_for_Web-based_Character_Builder
          >
          > <quote=WotC_Trevor>
          > On November 16, Wizards of the Coast will launch a brand new web-based
          > version of the D&D Insider Character Builder. The current downloadable
          > version will remain functional, but will no longer be available for
          > download or updated with content after the new version goes live. Here are
          > the highlights of the new Character Builder:
          >
          > * New Design: Completely redesigned from top to bottom in Microsoft
          > Silverlight as a robust character creation wizard.
          > * No Download: The Character Builder is served from the D&D site
          > * PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and Silverlight
          > plug-in
          > * Access is easy: Just enter the D&D site, log in, and launch the
          > Character Builder from the Tool Box or the Character Builder tools page.
          > * Characters in the Cloud: All characters you create are saved on our
          > database. No need to save Character Builder files on your hard drive
          > anymore.
          > * File Import: You can easily import your character s created in the
          > previous version to the new Character Builder.
          > * Previous Data: Includes all character-building data you enjoyed in the
          > previous versions.
          > * New Data Releases: Dark Sun and D&D Essentials data will debut with
          > the new version
          > </quote>

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
          > PCGen's Online Docs:
          > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
          >
          > PCGen List File Help:

        • Anestis Kozakis
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
            On 2010/11/08 5:19 AM +0000, Paul gave their opinion about the topic
            of [pcgen] [OT] Wotc & DDI news...
            >Anyone else see this and laugh?
            >
            >http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26182233/November_16th_Release_for_Web-based_Character_Builder
            >
            ><quote=WotC_Trevor>
            >On November 16, Wizards of the Coast will launch a brand new
            >web-based version of the D&D Insider Character Builder. The current
            >downloadable version will remain functional, but will no longer be
            >available for download or updated with content after the new version
            >goes live. Here are the highlights of the new Character Builder:
            >
            > * New Design: Completely redesigned from top to bottom in
            >Microsoft Silverlight as a robust character creation wizard.
            > * No Download: The Character Builder is served from the D&D site
            > * PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and
            >Silverlight plug-in
            > * Access is easy: Just enter the D&D site, log in, and launch
            >the Character Builder from the Tool Box or the Character Builder
            >tools page.
            > * Characters in the Cloud: All characters you create are saved
            >on our database. No need to save Character Builder files on your
            >hard drive anymore.
            > * File Import: You can easily import your character s created in
            >the previous version to the new Character Builder.
            > * Previous Data: Includes all character-building data you
            >enjoyed in the previous versions.
            > * New Data Releases: Dark Sun and D&D Essentials data will debut
            >with the new version
            ></quote>

            I can see what they are trying to do.

            The good: Making it available on Mac and PC. Still leaves Linux/BSD
            users out in the cold. Also, adding Dark Sun to the character
            creation roster.

            The bad: The assumption that everyone has internet access no matter
            where you go.

            The unknown (as I have never used it) : Can you print out the character sheets?

            As has been mentioned, this may drive more people to us, well, those
            who want to create 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder characters.

            Anestis.
            --
            Anestis Kozakis
            Mobile: +61 4 10092902