Re: [pcgen] Re: batch-processing character output sheets stopped working

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 7, 2010
      Hi all,

      That solves the failure to load the sources problem for me but I still
      > suffer for the java not exiting. I reported the problem of long hang
      > times with command line exports back in august 2009 with a simple fix of
      > exiting after export, can't access the old sourceforge tracker
      > (
      > https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=384719&aid=2836931&group_id=25576
      > )
      > anymore and can't see it in JIRA anywhere. It was changed to "To be Fixed
      > for 6.0" by karianna so was not going to be fixed soon. Hopefully its
      > just my setup that causes java to hang and the above will fix your problem.

      Yep, still an open bug that needs to be ported to our new JIRA system, this
      should be fixed for 6.0, and if James et al can figure it out in time,
      perhaps for 5.16.4 as well.

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 7, 2010
        Not likely for 5.16.4, we're in show stopper or easy fixes territory now.

        On 11/7/2010 7:00 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > That solves the failure to load the sources problem for me but I still
        >> suffer for the java not exiting. I reported the problem of long hang
        >> times with command line exports back in august 2009 with a simple fix of
        >> exiting after export, can't access the old sourceforge tracker
        >> (
        >> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=384719&aid=2836931&group_id=25576
        >> )
        >> anymore and can't see it in JIRA anywhere. It was changed to "To be Fixed
        >> for 6.0" by karianna so was not going to be fixed soon. Hopefully its
        >> just my setup that causes java to hang and the above will fix your problem.
        >>
        > Yep, still an open bug that needs to be ported to our new JIRA system, this
        > should be fixed for 6.0, and if James et al can figure it out in time,
        > perhaps for 5.16.4 as well.

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 7, 2010
          Hi Mark,

          Thanks for the extra info.

          In http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-376 I sorted out the load sources
          issues for batch processing. So that should be fine now. You can try out
          the fix in the 5.16.4 RC3 release (yes its out now).

          I've reviewed your bug report - it is odd that it hangs there as there
          is actually no code after the return. I'll port over the bug report from
          SF and add in your patch.

          Cheers,
          James.

          On 8/11/2010 1:50 AM eslaf1234 wrote

        • Susan Dittmar
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
            Hi folks,

            thanks for the time you invest into this. I really appreciate it.

            Concerning java version, I yesterday again made sure only sun java is
            installed (according to rpm). Here's the output of java -version:

            java version "1.6.0_22"
            Java Hotspot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)

            The 'auto load sources with character' and 'auto load sources at program
            start' flags both are set (and were set already).

            After reading Mark's post I checked for output files *before* killing the
            PCGen/java process. Like he suggested, the output is written as it should.
            I just did not see this before because the program 'make' removes output it
            aims for if there was a problem (like a killed PCGen) during producing it.

            I just installed PCGen 5.16.4RC3. It does not change anything concerning my
            problem.

            Again, thanks for looking into it!

            Susan
          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
              Hi Susan,

              The fix suggested by Mark has been included. It will be in the next
              release candidate.

              Cheers,
              James.

              On 8/11/2010 7:25 PM Susan Dittmar wrote
              > Hi folks,
              >
              > thanks for the time you invest into this. I really appreciate it.
              >
              > Concerning java version, I yesterday again made sure only sun java is
              > installed (according to rpm). Here's the output of java -version:
              >
              > java version "1.6.0_22"
              > Java Hotspot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)
              >
              > The 'auto load sources with character' and 'auto load sources at program
              > start' flags both are set (and were set already).
              >
              > After reading Mark's post I checked for output files *before* killing the
              > PCGen/java process. Like he suggested, the output is written as it should.
              > I just did not see this before because the program 'make' removes output it
              > aims for if there was a problem (like a killed PCGen) during producing it.
              >
              > I just installed PCGen 5.16.4RC3. It does not change anything concerning my
              > problem.
              >
              > Again, thanks for looking into it!
              >
              > Susan
            • Susan Dittmar
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                Thanks, James (and Mark)! I really appreciate it. Now I'm looking forward
                to the next release candidate :-)

                Susan
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                  Hi,

                  You won't be waiting long ;) It's planned for Wednesday.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                    > You won't be waiting long ;) It's planned for Wednesday.

                    Wonderful! That means it's in time for my next session!
                    *hops around excitedly*

                    Susan
                  • eslaf1234
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                      James

                      I assume its hanging because some gui threads are not completing. Seems to be getting worse with newer java versions - tried 5.16.1 again with java 1.6.0_22 and it hung for 23 minutes before exiting but as you can see from my old bug report it is a bit random. Always wondered if windows people had the same problem, anyway I see a fix is in so will not worry about it.

                      Thanks

                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                        Hi,

                        I had some performance hits, but it was tied to certain things done in PCGen and was easily
                        reproduced... I submitted a code bug and they were able to fix it up for me.

                        If you can capture the processes during a hang, that does help. In windows using the Bat file to
                        start pcgen, during a pause I would hit CTRL-BRK about once every 30 seconds while inside the bat
                        window. I'm not sure what the procedure to capture the data is in linux though.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                          Susan

                          You should not need it now but a hack to get around the problem just in
                          case would be something like this

                          .SUFFIXES: .pcg .xml

                          PCGENDIR=..

                          all: Test1.xml
                          echo "finished"

                          Test1.xml: Test1.pcg

                          DODGYFIX=& sleep 60;kill %1
                          OUTPUTEXISTS=test -s

                          .pcg.xml:
                          ${RM} $@
                          ${PCGENDIR}/pcgen.sh \
                          -Dpcgen.templatefile=outputsheets/base.xml \
                          -Dpcgen.inputfile=${CURDIR}/$< \
                          -Dpcgen.outputfile=${CURDIR}/$@ ${DODGYFIX}
                          ${OUTPUTEXISTS} $@ # pcgen may of failed to generate file and can't detect because of DODGYFIX

                          i.e run pcgen in background wait a while and then kill it. This is not a
                          good work around as you miss pcgen failures and if it doesn't hang the
                          command will fail when the kill fails. But it will get it done in an
                          emergency if pcgen always hangs.

                          Mark

                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

                          > > You won't be waiting long ;) It's planned for Wednesday.
                          >
                          > Wonderful! That means it's in time for my next session!
                          > *hops around excitedly*
                          >
                          > Susan

                        • Susan Dittmar
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                            Dear Mark,

                            thanks for sharing that hack. Now my computer is happy -- finally true work
                            to do ;-)

                            I still hope I can remove that hack again on Wednesday.

                            Susan
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                              Susan,

                              It might be a bit of a hassle, but you can always make your own pcgen builds to test things out... I
                              do that, and I think, I could be wrong, but we have autobuilds nightly. I know where the trunk is
                              stored, not sure if we're doing the same for the branch, but since James fixed it in the trunk as
                              well, you can grab the trunk build and test to see if it works for you.

                              Cheers,

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 9, 2010
                                Quoting Andrew Maitland (drew0500@...):
                                > It might be a bit of a hassle, but you can always make your own pcgen builds to test things out...

                                I did so, and now can confirm that the bug is resolved for me both in Trunk
                                and in the 5.16.x branch.

                                Thanks a lot!

                                Susan