batch-processing character output sheets stopped working

  • Susan Dittmar
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 6, 2010
      Hi folks,

      I had the opportunity to switch to a new Laptop. I just copied over all the
      PCGen data and character files I had, and hoped to see a big increase in
      responsiveness. Which I do -- when using PCGen interactively.

      As DM in a typical dungeon crawl (not my favourite kind of roleplaying, but
      my players' wish), I juggle with a lot of different creatures and thus with
      a lot of character files. And as a typical old-school unix (now linux) user
      I prefer to scoff off as much into batch processes as possible. Why should
      I keep pressing keys or mouse buttons for export into the different kinds of
      output sheet I want, if the computer can do all the necessary steps without
      needing interaction? Especially when I need to re-create *all* output sheet
      because I changed someting in the output sheet template...

      But unfortunately, things stopped working :-(

      I am using openSUSE 11.3, with SUN java 1.6.0_22, and I tried PCGen
      5.16.3, 5.16.4RC1, 5.16.4RC2. In all cases, java is started, but then
      nothing seems to be happening.

      Where can I find any kind of logfile/console output in case any is written?
      Has there recently been a change in how batch processing should be done?
      Do I need anything beside the PCGen full download to make it work?

      Here's (excerpt of) the Makefile I'm using right now:

      #PCGENDIR=${HOME}/private/Rollenspiel/PCGen/pcgen5163
      #PCGENDIR=${HOME}/private/Rollenspiel/PCGen/pcgen5164RC1
      PCGENDIR=${HOME}/private/Rollenspiel/PCGen/pcgen5164RC2

      html:
      for i in `ls *.pcg` ; do make `basename $$i .pcg`.html ; done

      TXT:
      for i in `ls *.pcg` ; do make `basename $$i .pcg`.TXT ; done

      xml:
      for i in `ls *.pcg` ; do make `basename $$i .pcg`.xml ; done

      pdf:
      for i in `ls *.pcg` ; do make `basename $$i .pcg`.pdf ; done

      .SUFFIXES:
      .SUFFIXES: .pcg .html .pdf .xml

      .pcg.html:
      ${PCGENDIR}/pcgen.sh \
      -Dpcgen.templatefile=outputsheets/d20/fantasy/htmlxml/csheet_fantasy_combined.htm \
      -Dpcgen.inputfile=`pwd`/$< \
      -Dpcgen.outputfile=`pwd`/$@

      .pcg.TXT:
      ${PCGENDIR}/pcgen.sh \
      -Dpcgen.templatefile=outputsheets/d20/fantasy/text/csheet_plain.TXT \
      -Dpcgen.inputfile=`pwd`/$< \
      -Dpcgen.outputfile=`pwd`/$@

      .pcg.xml:
      ${PCGENDIR}/pcgen.sh \
      -Dpcgen.templatefile=outputsheets/base.xml \
      -Dpcgen.inputfile=`pwd`/$< \
      -Dpcgen.outputfile=`pwd`/$@

      .xml.pdf:
      java -classpath `echo ${PCGENDIR}/lib/fop/*.jar | sed -e 's/ /:/g'` \
      org.apache.fop.apps.Fop \
      -xml `pwd`/$< \
      -xsl ${PCGENDIR}/outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/csheet_fantasy_std_grey.xslt \
      -pdf `pwd`/$@

      Thanks for any help,

      Susan
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 6, 2010

        x-posting to dev as the coders will be more helpful for an answer.

        Coders, can you please reply on PCGen _Main

      • thpr
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 6, 2010
          Please press Control-\ in the console in which you started the batch PCGen and send me the resulting stack trace or attach it to the Bug report I opened:
          http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-376

          If none is generated, you may have to use kill -QUIT <pid> on the Java process.

          Thanks.

          TP.

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

          > Hi folks,
          >
          > I had the opportunity to switch to a new Laptop. I just copied over all the
          > PCGen data and character files I had, and hoped to see a big increase in
          > responsiveness. Which I do -- when using PCGen interactively.
          >
          > As DM in a typical dungeon crawl (not my favourite kind of roleplaying, but
          > my players' wish), I juggle with a lot of different creatures and thus with
          > a lot of character files. And as a typical old-school unix (now linux) user
          > I prefer to scoff off as much into batch processes as possible. Why should
          > I keep pressing keys or mouse buttons for export into the different kinds of
          > output sheet I want, if the computer can do all the necessary steps without
          > needing interaction? Especially when I need to re-create *all* output sheet
          > because I changed someting in the output sheet template...
          >
          > But unfortunately, things stopped working :-(
          >
          > I am using openSUSE 11.3, with SUN java 1.6.0_22, and I tried PCGen
          > 5.16.3, 5.16.4RC1, 5.16.4RC2. In all cases, java is started, but then
          > nothing seems to be happening.
          >
          > Where can I find any kind of logfile/console output in case any is written?
          > Has there recently been a change in how batch processing should be done?
          > Do I need anything beside the PCGen full download to make it work?
          >
          > Here's (excerpt of) the Makefile I'm using right now:
          > [snip]
          > Thanks for any help,
          >
          > Susan

        • Susan Dittmar
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 6, 2010
            Quoting thpr (thpr@...):
            > Please press Control-\ in the console in which you started the batch PCGen and send me the resulting stack trace or attach it to the Bug report I opened:
            > http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-376

            Thanks for looking into it! I attached the console output to the tracker.

            Susan
          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 6, 2010
              Hi Susan,

              On 7/11/2010 10:36 AM Susan Dittmar wrote
              > Quoting thpr (thpr@...):
              >> Please press Control-\ in the console in which you started the batch PCGen and send me the resulting stack trace or attach it to the Bug report I opened:
              >> http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-376
              > Thanks for looking into it! I attached the console output to the tracker.

              Could you also post the output of java -version please? Please use the
              same java invocation method as is used in the pcgen.sh script on your
              system.

              Cheers,
              James.
            • eslaf1234
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 7, 2010
                Susan

                Try ticking the "Autoload Sources with PC" in Preferences/Pcgen/Sources,
                they changed the default between 5.16.2 and 5.16.3 (at svn rev 12569)
                for some reason. Or you could set pcgen.options.loadCampaignsWithPC to
                true in options.ini.

                That solves the failure to load the sources problem for me but I still
                suffer for the java not exiting. I reported the problem of long hang
                times with command line exports back in august 2009 with a simple fix of
                exiting after export, can't access the old sourceforge tracker
                (https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=384719&aid=2836931&group_id=25576)
                anymore and can't see it in JIRA anywhere. It was changed to "To be Fixed
                for 6.0" by karianna so was not going to be fixed soon. Hopefully its
                just my setup that causes java to hang and the above will fix your problem.

                Mark

              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 7, 2010
                  Hi all,

                  That solves the failure to load the sources problem for me but I still
                  > suffer for the java not exiting. I reported the problem of long hang
                  > times with command line exports back in august 2009 with a simple fix of
                  > exiting after export, can't access the old sourceforge tracker
                  > (
                  > https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=384719&aid=2836931&group_id=25576
                  > )
                  > anymore and can't see it in JIRA anywhere. It was changed to "To be Fixed
                  > for 6.0" by karianna so was not going to be fixed soon. Hopefully its
                  > just my setup that causes java to hang and the above will fix your problem.

                  Yep, still an open bug that needs to be ported to our new JIRA system, this
                  should be fixed for 6.0, and if James et al can figure it out in time,
                  perhaps for 5.16.4 as well.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 7, 2010
                    Not likely for 5.16.4, we're in show stopper or easy fixes territory now.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 7, 2010
                      Hi Mark,

                      Thanks for the extra info.

                      In http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-376 I sorted out the load sources
                      issues for batch processing. So that should be fine now. You can try out
                      the fix in the 5.16.4 RC3 release (yes its out now).

                      I've reviewed your bug report - it is odd that it hangs there as there
                      is actually no code after the return. I'll port over the bug report from
                      SF and add in your patch.

                      Cheers,
                      James.

                      On 8/11/2010 1:50 AM eslaf1234 wrote

                    • Susan Dittmar
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                        Hi folks,

                        thanks for the time you invest into this. I really appreciate it.

                        Concerning java version, I yesterday again made sure only sun java is
                        installed (according to rpm). Here's the output of java -version:

                        java version "1.6.0_22"
                        Java Hotspot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)

                        The 'auto load sources with character' and 'auto load sources at program
                        start' flags both are set (and were set already).

                        After reading Mark's post I checked for output files *before* killing the
                        PCGen/java process. Like he suggested, the output is written as it should.
                        I just did not see this before because the program 'make' removes output it
                        aims for if there was a problem (like a killed PCGen) during producing it.

                        I just installed PCGen 5.16.4RC3. It does not change anything concerning my
                        problem.

                        Again, thanks for looking into it!

                        Susan
                      • James Dempsey
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                          Hi Susan,

                          The fix suggested by Mark has been included. It will be in the next
                          release candidate.

                          Cheers,
                          James.

                          On 8/11/2010 7:25 PM Susan Dittmar wrote
                          > Hi folks,
                          >
                          > thanks for the time you invest into this. I really appreciate it.
                          >
                          > Concerning java version, I yesterday again made sure only sun java is
                          > installed (according to rpm). Here's the output of java -version:
                          >
                          > java version "1.6.0_22"
                          > Java Hotspot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)
                          >
                          > The 'auto load sources with character' and 'auto load sources at program
                          > start' flags both are set (and were set already).
                          >
                          > After reading Mark's post I checked for output files *before* killing the
                          > PCGen/java process. Like he suggested, the output is written as it should.
                          > I just did not see this before because the program 'make' removes output it
                          > aims for if there was a problem (like a killed PCGen) during producing it.
                          >
                          > I just installed PCGen 5.16.4RC3. It does not change anything concerning my
                          > problem.
                          >
                          > Again, thanks for looking into it!
                          >
                          > Susan
                        • Susan Dittmar
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                            Thanks, James (and Mark)! I really appreciate it. Now I'm looking forward
                            to the next release candidate :-)

                            Susan
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010

                              You won't be waiting long ;) It's planned for Wednesday.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                                > You won't be waiting long ;) It's planned for Wednesday.

                                Wonderful! That means it's in time for my next session!
                                *hops around excitedly*

                                Susan
                              • eslaf1234
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                                  James

                                  I assume its hanging because some gui threads are not completing. Seems to be getting worse with newer java versions - tried 5.16.1 again with java 1.6.0_22 and it hung for 23 minutes before exiting but as you can see from my old bug report it is a bit random. Always wondered if windows people had the same problem, anyway I see a fix is in so will not worry about it.

                                  Thanks

                                  Mark

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010

                                    I had some performance hits, but it was tied to certain things done in PCGen and was easily
                                    reproduced... I submitted a code bug and they were able to fix it up for me.

                                    If you can capture the processes during a hang, that does help. In windows using the Bat file to
                                    start pcgen, during a pause I would hit CTRL-BRK about once every 30 seconds while inside the bat
                                    window. I'm not sure what the procedure to capture the data is in linux though.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                                      Susan

                                      You should not need it now but a hack to get around the problem just in
                                      case would be something like this

                                      .SUFFIXES: .pcg .xml

                                      PCGENDIR=..

                                      all: Test1.xml
                                      echo "finished"

                                      Test1.xml: Test1.pcg

                                      DODGYFIX=& sleep 60;kill %1
                                      OUTPUTEXISTS=test -s

                                      .pcg.xml:
                                      ${RM} $@
                                      ${PCGENDIR}/pcgen.sh \
                                      -Dpcgen.templatefile=outputsheets/base.xml \
                                      -Dpcgen.inputfile=${CURDIR}/$< \
                                      -Dpcgen.outputfile=${CURDIR}/$@ ${DODGYFIX}
                                      ${OUTPUTEXISTS} $@ # pcgen may of failed to generate file and can't detect because of DODGYFIX

                                      i.e run pcgen in background wait a while and then kill it. This is not a
                                      good work around as you miss pcgen failures and if it doesn't hang the
                                      command will fail when the kill fails. But it will get it done in an
                                      emergency if pcgen always hangs.

                                      Mark

                                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@...> wrote:

                                      > > You won't be waiting long ;) It's planned for Wednesday.
                                      >
                                      > Wonderful! That means it's in time for my next session!
                                      > *hops around excitedly*
                                      >
                                      > Susan

                                    • Susan Dittmar
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                                        Dear Mark,

                                        thanks for sharing that hack. Now my computer is happy -- finally true work
                                        to do ;-)

                                        I still hope I can remove that hack again on Wednesday.

                                        Susan
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
                                          Susan,

                                          It might be a bit of a hassle, but you can always make your own pcgen builds to test things out... I
                                          do that, and I think, I could be wrong, but we have autobuilds nightly. I know where the trunk is
                                          stored, not sure if we're doing the same for the branch, but since James fixed it in the trunk as
                                          well, you can grab the trunk build and test to see if it works for you.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 9, 2010
                                            Quoting Andrew Maitland (drew0500@...):
                                            > It might be a bit of a hassle, but you can always make your own pcgen builds to test things out...

                                            I did so, and now can confirm that the bug is resolved for me both in Trunk
                                            and in the 5.16.x branch.

                                            Thanks a lot!

                                            Susan