Re: [pcgen] Re: Kingmaker Campaign Traits

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
      Yes, I just read that post. Not sure that I agree with removing the
      enforcement, but I am not so opposed that I would say no.

      David
      Papa.DRB

      Grognard (definition 1) <http://mysite.verizon.net/vze16ni4g/Grognard.html>
      My better half and me

      On 11/2/2010 10:34 AM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
      > On Tuesday 02 November 2010 15:27:21 David R. Bender wrote:
      >> Hmm.. That is not what my understanding is.
      >>
      >> If you are going to use Campaign Traits, you get 1 of them and 1 regular
      >> trait. I would rather have them as separate lines. There is an
      >> abilitypool for them, but it is not being added to. This is my .pcc file
      >> that I will be using for when I run Kingmaker for my group:
      >> Notice that I had to add 1 to Campaign Traits and subtract 1 from Traits
      >> to get the numbers to work out.
      >>
      >> I also have the same file for Serpent's Skull except pointing to the
      >> appropriate players guide and it works for that also.
      > David, that is how it originally woirked when I first implemeted that. As soon
      > as one of the Aadventure path player's guide datasets was loaded, the slots
      > were changed from "two general traits" to "one general trait and one campaign
      > trait". However the traits categories have been moved about, even into the
      > core dataset, where they to not belong at all. These changes - and the fact
      > that the duplicate workout does not really work with the APG set - have messed
      > up the mechanism.
      >
      > However, check out the mail I just wrote before this; I think it does in fact
      > make sense to remove that enforcing.
      >
      > Stefan.
    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
        On Tuesday 02 November 2010 15:40:54 David R. Bender wrote:
        > Yes, I just read that post. Not sure that I agree with removing the
        > enforcement, but I am not so opposed that I would say no.

        Would you want to force a new character joining your Serpen't Skull party in,
        say, Chapter 3 to take a campaign trait from the Serpent's Skull Player's
        Guide, when he most probably never was on that ship?

        Stefan.

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
          That is why I am not saying no.

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010

            I'm in agreement with Stefan, it's not up to us to enforce certain rules if there isn't an easy
            bypass. One General Pool, and leave it up to the GM and players to police themselves.

            AS to the pools merging into the Core, I think that was a Logistics issue of depending on which
            source combo you'd get issues.

            I don't care if the ABILITYCATEGORY is made in the core, the relevant Traits *ARE* being loaded with
            the correct sources, and that's ALL that matters to me.

            On 11/2/2010 8:19 AM, David R. Bender wrote:
            > That is why I am not saying no.
            >
            > David
            > Papa.DRB
            >
            > Grognard (definition 1)<http://mysite.verizon.net/vze16ni4g/Grognard.html>
            > My better half and me
            > <http://mysite.verizon.net/vze16ni4g/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>
            >
            > On 11/2/2010 11:14 AM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
            >> On Tuesday 02 November 2010 15:40:54 David R. Bender wrote:
            >>> Yes, I just read that post. Not sure that I agree with removing the
            >>> enforcement, but I am not so opposed that I would say no.
            >> Would you want to force a new character joining your Serpen't Skull party in,
            >> say, Chapter 3 to take a campaign trait from the Serpent's Skull Player's
            >> Guide, when he most probably never was on that ship?
            >>
            >> Stefan.

            > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

          • Stefan Radermacher
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
              Ok, I'm changing the sets to remove the separate ability category for campaign
              traits. I think I will also abandon the concept of preselecting "No Traits",
              as this is clearly non-intuitive for users. The way it is implemented, Traits
              are only awarded to player character races, so monsters are not affected, only
              NPCs, and a GM user can then select the No Traits ability manually. I think
              this is the better solution and users will no longer wonder what to do.

              I'd also like to change the keys of the traits to conform to the usual
              standards for keys, i.e. "Foo ~ Trait" instead of "Foo_Trait".

              Ah. and another thing. I'm not too happy of including the sample campaign
              traits from the APG in the APG dataset. Including them will result in them
              showing up, for example, as campaign traits in a Kingmaker Adventure Path
              setup, even if they are not available or meaningful for that campaign.
              Basically they are just included in the book for GMs as an inspiration on how
              to create their own campaign traits, not as real gaming material, because they
              won't be applicable to 99% of all campaigns. I'd leave them out, but another
              idea of how to handle them if everybody wants them included, would be nice.
              Though their use will really be minimal.

              Regards,
              Stefan.

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010

                On 11/2/2010 3:58 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                > Ok, I'm changing the sets to remove the separate ability category for campaign
                > traits. I think I will also abandon the concept of preselecting "No Traits",
                > as this is clearly non-intuitive for users. The way it is implemented, Traits
                > are only awarded to player character races, so monsters are not affected, only
                > NPCs, and a GM user can then select the No Traits ability manually. I think
                > this is the better solution and users will no longer wonder what to do.

                Sounds like a good plan.

                > I'd also like to change the keys of the traits to conform to the usual
                > standards for keys, i.e. "Foo ~ Trait" instead of "Foo_Trait".

                I was wondering why there was a difference, but I just tried to match the standards.

                > Ah. and another thing. I'm not too happy of including the sample campaign
                > traits from the APG in the APG dataset. Including them will result in them
                > showing up, for example, as campaign traits in a Kingmaker Adventure Path
                > setup, even if they are not available or meaningful for that campaign.
                > Basically they are just included in the book for GMs as an inspiration on how
                > to create their own campaign traits, not as real gaming material, because they
                > won't be applicable to 99% of all campaigns. I'd leave them out, but another
                > idea of how to handle them if everybody wants them included, would be nice.
                > Though their use will really be minimal.

                Leaving them in should be fine. Once we move to trunk, we can simply use SORTKEY to put the sample
                at the bottom of the list. And yes, homebrews can model theirs after the existing ones. Nothing
                wrong with that. I was going through and entering ALL the missing items.

                Cheers,

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
                  On Wednesday 03 November 2010 00:26:35 Andrew Maitland wrote:
                  > Leaving them in should be fine. Once we move to trunk, we can simply use
                  > SORTKEY to put the sample at the bottom of the list. And yes, homebrews
                  > can model theirs after the existing ones. Nothing wrong with that. I was
                  > going through and entering ALL the missing items.

                  Maybe we can use TYPE:SampleCampaignTraits with those instead of
                  TYPE:CampaignTraits.

                  Stefan.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010

                    I'm fine with that.

                    On 11/2/2010 4:35 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                    > On Wednesday 03 November 2010 00:26:35 Andrew Maitland wrote:
                    >> Leaving them in should be fine. Once we move to trunk, we can simply use
                    >> SORTKEY to put the sample at the bottom of the list. And yes, homebrews
                    >> can model theirs after the existing ones. Nothing wrong with that. I was
                    >> going through and entering ALL the missing items.
                    > Maybe we can use TYPE:SampleCampaignTraits with those instead of
                    > TYPE:CampaignTraits.
                    >
                    > Stefan.

                    > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                  • Derrik H. Gilmore
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
                      Heya:

                      Quick FYI. When starting a new campaign/Adventure Path, Campaign Traits are
                      NOT a requirement. Like any other trait they are an optional component and
                      basically give you one more category of traits to choose from. They primary
                      intention is to tie you closer to the beginning of the campaign and give you
                      a reason for your character to get involved in the campaign. Now, you can
                      certainly make it a requirement for your campaign, but there is no other
                      requirement.

                      "Campaign traits are tailored to a specific Adventure Path, and give your
                      character a built-in reason to begin the first adventure in a new campaign.
                      Some campaign traits also grant teamwork benefits if you choose to begin a
                      campaign with your character having a pre-existing relationship with another
                      PC." And if you continue reading the section on campaign traits in any of
                      the Adventure Paths out there, you'll see nowhere that it is required a
                      character take a campaign trait - though certainly advisable.

                      Also once a new character joins the campaign at a later date, s/he can
                      certainly take an existing campaign trait if so desired, though the player
                      and GM should probably work on adjusting the wording somewhat =)

                      ----

                      Derrik "Gil" Gilmore

                      "I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of
                      the raid's $359.76 says: know your role."

                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 2, 2010
                        On Wednesday 03 November 2010 02:27:06 Derrik H. Gilmore wrote:
                        > Quick FYI. When starting a new campaign/Adventure Path, Campaign Traits are
                        > NOT a requirement. Like any other trait they are an optional component and
                        > basically give you one more category of traits to choose from. They primary
                        > intention is to tie you closer to the beginning of the campaign and give
                        > you a reason for your character to get involved in the campaign. Now, you
                        > can certainly make it a requirement for your campaign, but there is no
                        > other requirement.
                        > "Campaign traits are tailored to a specific Adventure Path, and give your
                        > character a built-in reason to begin the first adventure in a new campaign.
                        > Some campaign traits also grant teamwork benefits if you choose to begin a
                        > campaign with your character having a pre-existing relationship with
                        > another PC." And if you continue reading the section on campaign traits in
                        > any of the Adventure Paths out there, you'll see nowhere that it is
                        > required a character take a campaign trait - though certainly advisable.

                        Your quote is correct, however there is more. Check out APG page 330, in the
                        section named "Campaign Traits" it says:

                        "If your GM uses campaign traits, one of your starting traits must be a
                        campaign trait. Your other trait can be chosen from one of the other types of
                        traits." You will find the words to the same effect in the original Character
                        Traits web enhancement for the Pathfinder RPG on page 3, upper left.

                        > Also once a new character joins the campaign at a later date, s/he can
                        > certainly take an existing campaign trait if so desired, though the player
                        > and GM should probably work on adjusting the wording somewhat =)

                        Depending on the campaign that might noit really makes sense, for example, as
                        mentioned earlier with the campaign traits from then Serpent's Skull Player's
                        Guide. Those are meaningless for a character that doesn't start out at the
                        beginning at the campaign.

                        Regards,
                        Stefan.
                      • Derrik H. Gilmore
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 3, 2010
                          Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa - though I just got the APG on Monday
                          and haven't gotten that far in the book yet, I'm still giddy about the
                          class/race options =)

                          As for taking the campaign traits for later characters, you can always
                          adjust the back-story for the trait so that it makes more sense while
                          leaving the bonus intact - nur meine zwei pfennige =)

                          ----

                          Derrik "Gil" Gilmore

                          "I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of
                          the raid's $359.76 says know your role."

                          On Wednesday 03 November 2010 02:27:06 Derrik H. Gilmore wrote:
                          > Quick FYI. When starting a new campaign/Adventure Path, Campaign Traits
                          are
                          > NOT a requirement. Like any other trait they are an optional component and
                          > basically give you one more category of traits to choose from. They
                          primary
                          > intention is to tie you closer to the beginning of the campaign and give
                          > you a reason for your character to get involved in the campaign. Now, you
                          > can certainly make it a requirement for your campaign, but there is no
                          > other requirement.
                          > "Campaign traits are tailored to a specific Adventure Path, and give your
                          > character a built-in reason to begin the first adventure in a new
                          campaign.
                          > Some campaign traits also grant teamwork benefits if you choose to begin a
                          > campaign with your character having a pre-existing relationship with
                          > another PC." And if you continue reading the section on campaign traits in
                          > any of the Adventure Paths out there, you'll see nowhere that it is
                          > required a character take a campaign trait - though certainly advisable.

                          Your quote is correct, however there is more. Check out APG page 330, in the

                          section named "Campaign Traits" it says:

                          "If your GM uses campaign traits, one of your starting traits must be a
                          campaign trait. Your other trait can be chosen from one of the other types
                          of
                          traits." You will find the words to the same effect in the original
                          Character
                          Traits web enhancement for the Pathfinder RPG on page 3, upper left.

                          > Also once a new character joins the campaign at a later date, s/he can
                          > certainly take an existing campaign trait if so desired, though the player
                          > and GM should probably work on adjusting the wording somewhat =)

                          Depending on the campaign that might noit really makes sense, for example,
                          as
                          mentioned earlier with the campaign traits from then Serpent's Skull
                          Player's
                          Guide. Those are meaningless for a character that doesn't start out at the
                          beginning at the campaign.

                          Regards,
                          Stefan.

                          _____